Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dive rite regs which are very similar to the d6 regs, and I haven’t had any complaints (but I also have no reason to recommend them over the d6 signature line either). Parts are available for self servicing. They seem pretty bulletproof to me.

The DGX Gears D6 would seem to meet all your needs, the XTRA would exceed them unnecessarily. The DGX Gears D6 Regulator is a "classic" basic time-tested design based on a balanced diaphragm first stage. The DGX Gears D6 second stage is pneumatically balanced. If you are seeking a reliable and easy breathing regulator for warm water sport diving the D6 is a great value.

What really makes our regulators stand out from the crowd are our value prices plus the DGX Gears lifetime limited warranty. Dive Gear Express believes the consumer has the "right-to-repair" and our policy is to make the DGX Gears regulator service parts individually available for purchase without restriction. The service manuals and schematic diagrams are available to the general public under the Product Attachments tab of the DGX Gears regulator service parts kits.
Thank you for reaching out.

One thing I noticed upon closer inspection is the D6 from your line very closely resembles (effectively identical with exception of the graphic on the purge) the Deep 6 Excursion line (Excursion Second Stage - Black). Do you know if there is any relation between the two? Not making accusations or anything, just trying to determine what's what.

Thanks!

One thing I noticed upon closer inspection is the D6 from your line very closely resembles (effectively identical with exception of the graphic on the purge) the Deep 6 Excursion line (Excursion Second Stage - Black). Do you know if there is any relation between the two? Not making accusations or anything, just trying to determine what's what.

Thanks!
d6=Deep6, they're related

one thing to note since the self service came up.

While brands like Dive Rite don't restrict the sale of parts, they do not make it easy to get the manuals.
While Dive Gear Express has made the manuals easy to get, they do not have a class.

If you want to take a class as an end user you are essentially restricted to HOG, Deep6, and Poseidon. This may or may not be important to you, it is a variable to consider.

one thing to note since the self service came up.

While brands like Dive Rite don't restrict the sale of parts, they do not make it easy to get the manuals.
While Dive Gear Express has made the manuals easy to get, they do not have a class.

If you want to take a class as an end user you are essentially restricted to HOG, Deep6, and Poseidon. This may or may not be important to you, it is a variable to consider.
That information is actually incredibly valuable.

I've been a pilot and a firefighter over the course of my life, and have been a member of countless internet forums like this. In the two posts I have made here, I have never more quickly received the direct information I was looking for. This has been very impressive and I appreciate it so much.

I'm pretty decided on the Deep 6 Signature for my primary. Whether I'll just buy two - the second for the octo - is something I'm going back and forth on (I know originally I said I wanted to stay in the same brand, but I'm starting to be more realistic about what I need capability wise vs loading up on gear and paying for capability I will never use.)

That information is actually incredibly valuable.

I've been a pilot and a firefighter over the course of my life, and have been a member of countless internet forums like this. In the two posts I have made here, I have never more quickly received the direct information I was looking for. This has been very impressive and I appreciate it so much.

I'm pretty decided on the Deep 6 Signature for my primary. Whether I'll just buy two - the second for the octo - is something I'm going back and forth on (I know originally I said I wanted to stay in the same brand, but I'm starting to be more realistic about what I need capability wise vs loading up on gear and paying for capability I will never use.)

I would strongly recommend matching them, same with the first stage.

Think about it this way.
If you are travelling and have a limited amount of space a matched pair of regulators will utilize the same tools and parts kits. Most regulators use the same tools, but it is one less kit to keep track of. From a brain bandwidth standpoint it is also one less new thing to learn. Again, most regulators are VERY similar with service procedures being almost identical, but have one that is truly identical is very valuable in this application.

The other argument stems from the concept of primary donate vs secondary donate. If you subscribe to primary donate, which I do and most on this forum do, then you have a great regulator in your mouth the entire dive and in the event of an air sharing scenario you will pass that high performance regulator to the person who is an elevated state and is at risk of panic. Handing them a lower quality regulator may increase the risk of inducing panic. You then move to a regulator that is just as good as the one that was in your mouth which minimizes changes in your breathing while you are trying to respond to the situation at hand. Matching regulators is a lot more than thinking about paying for capability that you will never use, there are a lot more factors at play.

Thanks!
Here's a thread that dives into the differences;

In the two posts I have made here, I have never more quickly received the direct information I was looking for. This has been very impressive and I appreciate it so much.

It's cold af here right now..... so we're all on SB dreaming about the day the water warms up and we can dive more often:D

I warmly suggest that you get two identical second stages. The whole idea of a "crap and cheap" octopus is really bad. In the rare case you (or your buddy) need to use it, getting a subpar reg, hard to breath and perhaps "wet", is really not what you should experience.
And, if in you area the tanks are equipped with double valves and and double posts, as here in the Mediterranean, then buy two complete and identical regs: each second stage fed by its own first stage. That means true redundancy and better safety...

Back
Top Bottom