DGX Gears XTRA first stage service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The DGX Gears XTRA first stage caught my attention since I like balanced piston regs.
  1. It appears to have two high pressure o-rings, both marked 26* in the attached schematic. In the disassembly video, the o-ring closest to the ambient chamber seems challenging to remove. Is it actually not a big deal?
  2. The DIN assembly appears more complicated than others I'm accustomed to, say Atomic and Scubapro. For example, the Filter Retainer part D10 in the schematic seems like it could be combined with the Retainer Housing part D8. The Filter Retainer looks a bit like a yoke retainer even though this is a DIN reg. Any thoughts if this added complexity was required to accommodate the optional ACD auto-closure feature?

Attachments

• XTRA-1st-Stage-Diagram_1-2023.png
    XTRA-1st-Stage-Diagram_1-2023.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 48
I’ve never seen one, the DIN looks complicated because it has something like the ACD. The HP seals are unlikely to be an issue.

1. It can be a pain in the ass. But if you are patient and take your time with the plastic or nylon pick, it should not be that bad. As it says in the video, using a metal one is risky if you are not experienced with it. Stabbing the o-ring so as not to contact the metal at all takes a precise, steady hand and even more care and patience if you decide to use the curved metal pick as shown in the video.
2. Yes, the optional ACD was how the reg was originally available when I wrote the service manual for DGX, and while it looks more complicated, it's pretty straightforward when you actually get into it. I think the option not to have the auto closure was due to the demand for it to be left out?
Watch the torque specs on the ACD assembly if that's what you have!
You can snap the threaded end on the part labeled D2. I found that out when a factory misprint had the wrong spec while writing the manual.

1. It can be a pain in the ass. But if you are patient and take your time with the plastic or nylon pick, it should not be that bad. As it says in the video, using a metal one is risky if you are not experienced with it. Stabbing the o-ring so as not to contact the metal at all takes a precise, steady hand and even more care and patience if you decide to use the curved metal pick as shown in the video.
2. Yes, the optional ACD was how the reg was originally available when I wrote the service manual for DGX, and while it looks more complicated, it's pretty straightforward when you actually get into it. I think the option not to have the auto closure was due to the demand for it to be left out?
Watch the torque specs on the ACD assembly if that's what you have!
You can snap the threaded end on the part labeled D2. I found that out when a factory misprint had the wrong spec while writing the manual.
Is there any parts available to disable the ACD.

There are issues with it not opening on 300bar din valves and causing the regulator to fail to flow gas.

Get the diaphragm version instead, if you don't want the auto close. Why bother hacking it up?

The Dgx D6 or Dive Rite Xt4.

Get the diaphragm version instead, if you don't want the auto close. Why bother hacking it up?

The Dgx D6 or Dive Rite Xt4.
Because I have 4 of them sitting in a box after one failed to reopen after a valve drill.

Because I have 4 of them sitting in a box after one failed to reopen after a valve drill.
They sell it with and without the ACD. You should be able to order the standard DIN post and handwheel.

Back
Top Bottom