Consolidate Regs: HOG vs D6 vs DGX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onepointfivethumbs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Probably going to be putting together gear for AN/DP next summer and "wondering what to ask for from Santa";
most often in the cold Great Lakes but eventually ocean/wrecks/caves, so looks like sealed diaphragm is the way to go; want good CONUS support and to be able to work on my own regs which narrows it down to Big Red or Big Orange.

Looking at a backmounted doubles set, probably a dedicated O2 set, and a stage/spare set.

Considering HOG D3 or D6 Signature Expedition Firsts for back gas and HOG D2, D6 Excursion, or DGX D6 Firsts (all non-turreted) for stages;
HOG Zenith, Classic, D6 Signature Expedition, or DGX XTRA back gas seconds and HOG Classic/D6 Excursion/DGX D6 stage seconds.

Anything glaringly wrong with my plans? I know all the manufacturers are active on here, anything else to consider?

Probably going to be putting together gear for AN/DP next summer and "wondering what to ask for from Santa";
most often in the cold Great Lakes but eventually ocean/wrecks/caves, so looks like sealed diaphragm is the way to go; want good CONUS support and to be able to work on my own regs which narrows it down to Big Red or Big Orange.

Looking at a backmounted doubles set, probably a dedicated O2 set, and a stage/spare set.

Considering HOG D3 or D6 Signature Expedition Firsts for back gas and HOG D2, D6 Excursion, or DGX D6 Firsts (all non-turreted) for stages;
HOG Zenith, Classic, D6 Signature Expedition, or DGX XTRA back gas seconds and HOG Classic/D6 Excursion/DGX D6 stage seconds.

Anything glaringly wrong with my plans? I know all the manufacturers are active on here, anything else to consider?
I'd suggest getting the Deep 6 Signature regs (the Expedition is their dive computer) for all your regs. It is a unique/better design than the other options (though those will still work). Since you are in the US, getting service kits is super easy, as is training to service those kits. You have access to @LandonL for questions.

But there are some brands that are easier to get parts for than others, unless you have an inside connection.
Indeed that is true but I’ll stick with those that have proven themselves for my use, or sometimes with ones that I want to test to find out if they work for my use.

Indeed that is true but I’ll stick with those that have proven themselves for my use, or sometimes with ones that I want to test to find out if they work for my use.
Curious what is the bar for proving themselves? Have you ever had regs that failed that test/criteria?

My wife and I are really happy with our Deep 6 gear, and even more so working with the folks behind the scenes when I had questions and wanted some 'customisation' on the set up. Highly recommend them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom