Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What really makes our regulators stand out from the crowd are our value prices plus the DGX Gears lifetime limited warranty. Dive Gear Express believes the consumer has the "right-to-repair" and our policy is to make the DGX Gears regulator service parts individually available for purchase without restriction. The service manuals and schematic diagrams are available to the general public under the Product Attachments tab of the DGX Gears regulator service parts kits.

Which just saved my butt for this weekend.

What I did not see mentioned is to make sure you can get the parts and/or work where you will be going.

Especially in remote places it is usually easier to get parts for more "known" brands than for somewhat less known brands. If possible bring parts on a boat, and maybe some tools.

The more bulletproof the better. Unbalanced SP MK2 with 195 or AL alike. It is what most locals will be using.

Deep6 Signature has the lowest total cost of ownership since the first service is included free and if you take the service course they send you a free parts kit every year. It is also nicest regulator on the list.
+1

My personal and limited opinion, DGX XTRA 1st stages have an automatic closure "feature" that seems to have more cons than pros. When I owned a set of them, they frequently became loose, causing leaks until I could get an allen wrench to tighten them. Even went so far as to use the blue fastener stuff in an attempt to keep it screwed in. Over the ownership of those 1st stages, I'd say they're a PITA. I love 'em otherwise. The XTRA 2nd stages are the easiest breathing regs I've ever had, and blow an older Diverite stages outta the water. One thing to note with the XTRA 2nd stage, you can't switch from right-handed to left-handed. Currently running D6 1st stages with XTRA 2nd stages, and I'm pretty happy with the pairing.
And you can't beat DGX's/D6's policy on right-to-repair. That alone justifies me buying 90% of my scuba stuff from them.

It seems to me that the DGX D6 Gears second stage is the same regulator as the Deep6 Excursion and the DGX XTRA is the same as the Deep6 Signature, outside of cosmetics. Deep 6 requires you to take their regulator repair class in order to obtain service kits. I believe Deep6 will provide free service kits to Signature buyers (who qualify) only. DGX will sell their service kits to anyone and makes available repair documentation and videos illustrating rebuilds. If I have any factual errors in these statements I welcome corrections.
I ordered a DGX D6 Gears regulator some time ago and was mistakenly sent an XTRA by mistake. The XTRA is avery nice, refined second stage. The D6 Gears is lighter and smaller but still of great quality. Since I wanted this second as an Octopus I prefer the D6 Gears and DGX sent the swap the day I reported the problem. If I was looking for a primary second stage the XTRA would be my choice.

It seems to me that the DGX D6 Gears second stage is the same regulator as the Deep6 Excursion and the DGX XTRA is the same as the Deep6 Signature, outside of cosmetics.

Incorrect, the Signature regulator is exclusive to us, including all of the custom improvements in the design and materials. This is why it is a 'Signature' product.

Deep6 did make the D6 Gears second stage for them at one point, hence the similarities with our budget Excursion second stage, but the products have diverged since then.

Deep 6 requires you to take their regulator repair class in order to obtain service kits. I believe Deep6 will provide free service kits to Signature buyers (who qualify) only.

Not exactly correct. There are multiple ways (about 5-6) to qualify to obtain kits, which I have posted about before. It isn't a high bar, and should be easy for anyone who is capable of self service. We don't make this difficult.

It is correct that we do provide free kits for personal regs at request, at the 2 year interval, for technicians that hold our specific certification.

My personal and limited opinion, DGX XTRA 1st stages have an automatic closure "feature" that seems to have more cons than pros. When I owned a set of them, they frequently became loose, causing leaks until I could get an allen wrench to tighten them. Even went so far as to use the blue fastener stuff in an attempt to keep it screwed in. Over the ownership of those 1st stages, I'd say they're a PITA. I love 'em otherwise.

DGX now offers their Gears XTRA reg with or without the auto-closing feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom