Hard case for traveling with photogear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once dropped a large Samsonite attache case, full of custom foam and delicate equipment made up like a Pelican, down a flight of stairs. It broke off one stair tread but nothing inside was damaged. FWIW the old classic Samsonite and American Tourister attaches and suitcases are commonly in US thrift shops for $5 each, if that fits your needs. Doesn't attract any attention, either.

Halliburton, wow, a thousand dollars and you can't get it except with wheels and handles now??

Using a sturdy "cooler" might well be a good idea. I found some lunch box size coolers that were printed with "HUMAN TRANSPLANT ORGAN" on the sides. Put a nice red seal over the lid, and I don't think anyone would even bother looking in there. (These were actually lunch boxes for a couple of doctors, a niche audience.)

All the years Ive flown with Pelican cases Ive never had an issue. It doesnt mean that someone isnt watching it go around the carousel a half dozen times before helping themselves to your gear. That will happen no matter what your gear is in though.

I use Delta's app that tracks luggage, plus a Bluetooth Tile tracker, so I was sure my Pelican case arrived in Cincinnati last week. I waited and waited at the carousel forever. I finally wandered around and found it at the 'over-size' slide (just out of Bluetooth range).

"Pelican cases are always considered over-size," they claimed. Funny, never happened to me before. And, it is considerably smaller than my other luggage.

I ALWAYS buy extra luggage insurance for scuba or camera equipment. Plus, I'm thinking of ordering one of these: Magpie GPS. It might help recover stolen items.

Anyway, the message is to keep an eye on the 'over-size' section. Your Pelican case may arrive with someone's golf clubs or skis.

Last edited:
Some years ago I had to take a Delta flight with a planned 5-hour stop in Atlanta, requiring a change of planes to my end destination of course. I was traveling with a large duffel bag and since there was no guarantee of where my connecting flight would be (Atlanta is a HUGE airport) and no guarantee that I could pick it up and check it in between flights, I asked Delta if there was any way the bag could fly straight through, without me having to babysit it in Atlanta. No sir, absolutely not, all checked baggage must be accompanied by yadayada.

When I actually got into Atlanta and went looking for my bag, I was told that contrary to Delta's supervisors insistence, my bag HAD been sent ahead without me. OK, fine. When I finally got to the other end, I asked where's my bag? And they said a) it couldn't have come through by itself and b) Gee, we don't know. Eventually it turned up, unsupervised, unsecured, in an open holding area. Where it must have been for five hours.

Delta? PLEASE. All I can say is that in decades of having flown with them and others, I've never known an airline to LIE so consistently and NEEDLESSLY as Delta does. I've had them say an aircraft had landed and passengers debarked, when in fact the aircraft was being held at the originating airport for a bomb scare. Small problem: Where'd the passengers go? Oh, yeah, they were still on the aircraft with the supposed bomb.

Or the morning it was o'dawn hundred and I had a first flight out. Twenty minutes before flight time, there's no aircraft at the jetway, and I know it takes 30 minutes to load that plane, so I ask, where's the equipment? Oh, they're just bringing it around from the hangar. Ergh, no, ten minutes later it taxis up and a flight crew walks off. They'd just FLOWIN IT IN from the central maintenance depot, two hours away. WHY LIE? Because it is easy. That's the corporate culture at Delta.

Not that Delta is overall any better or worse than a number of other players, but contrast them to American. One day everyone is fubared with weather delays and I asked a gate agent about where the incoming equipment was, because they CAN actually look up the tail number and tell you where the plane you're booked on is coming from. If that plane is a thousand miles away and someone tells you "it will be here in an hour"...eh, you know that ain't gonna happen. The gate agent not only volunteered to look for the tail number, but she also offered to rebook me on another flight that was, in theory, due in a half hour later but in practice would physically be there a half hour sooner--and took less time to reboard as well. I wound up getting out an hour sooner. American often is damn pricey, sometimes 3x what others are, with fewer flights. But the attitude has always been great. That's all too rare these days.

Since American started repainting their fleet, I've become a bit more cynical about them. They used to just paint the stripes and trim, leaving the fuselage bare, for the terribly practical reason that PAINT IS HEAVY and by not painting the bulk of the plane, they saved money on the fuel load on every flight. Which helped keep fares down and profits up. Now, that's the kind of business sense I like.

Some years ago I had to take a Delta flight with a planned 5-hour stop in Atlanta, requiring a change of planes to my end destination of course. I was traveling with a large duffel bag and since there was no guarantee of where my connecting flight would be (Atlanta is a HUGE airport) and no guarantee that I could pick it up and check it in between flights, I asked Delta if there was any way the bag could fly straight through, without me having to babysit it in Atlanta. No sir, absolutely not, all checked baggage must be accompanied by yadayada.

When I actually got into Atlanta and went looking for my bag, I was told that contrary to Delta's supervisors insistence, my bag HAD been sent ahead without me. OK, fine. When I finally got to the other end, I asked where's my bag? And they said a) it couldn't have come through by itself and b) Gee, we don't know. Eventually it turned up, unsupervised, unsecured, in an open holding area. Where it must have been for five hours.

Delta? PLEASE. All I can say is that in decades of having flown with them and others, I've never known an airline to LIE so consistently and NEEDLESSLY as Delta does. I've had them say an aircraft had landed and passengers debarked, when in fact the aircraft was being held at the originating airport for a bomb scare. Small problem: Where'd the passengers go? Oh, yeah, they were still on the aircraft with the supposed bomb.

Or the morning it was o'dawn hundred and I had a first flight out. Twenty minutes before flight time, there's no aircraft at the jetway, and I know it takes 30 minutes to load that plane, so I ask, where's the equipment? Oh, they're just bringing it around from the hangar. Ergh, no, ten minutes later it taxis up and a flight crew walks off. They'd just FLOWIN IT IN from the central maintenance depot, two hours away. WHY LIE? Because it is easy. That's the corporate culture at Delta.

Not that Delta is overall any better or worse than a number of other players, but contrast them to American. One day everyone is fubared with weather delays and I asked a gate agent about where the incoming equipment was, because they CAN actually look up the tail number and tell you where the plane you're booked on is coming from. If that plane is a thousand miles away and someone tells you "it will be here in an hour"...eh, you know that ain't gonna happen. The gate agent not only volunteered to look for the tail number, but she also offered to rebook me on another flight that was, in theory, due in a half hour later but in practice would physically be there a half hour sooner--and took less time to reboard as well. I wound up getting out an hour sooner. American often is damn pricey, sometimes 3x what others are, with fewer flights. But the attitude has always been great. That's all too rare these days.

Since American started repainting their fleet, I've become a bit more cynical about them. They used to just paint the stripes and trim, leaving the fuselage bare, for the terribly practical reason that PAINT IS HEAVY and by not painting the bulk of the plane, they saved money on the fuel load on every flight. Which helped keep fares down and profits up. Now, that's the kind of business sense I like.

Wow. Rant much?

Did you think I was pushing Delta?

On my last few trips, which happen to be Delta, I used their phone app. I receive a push notification when they scan my luggage on and off the airplane. One time I was even watching out the window, saw the baggage handler scan my case as it went up the belt, and moments later received a message.

Next trip is probably on Alaska. I'll be hoping for the same feature on their app too, if they have one.

Wow. Rant much?

Did you think I was pushing Delta?

On my last few trips, which happen to be Delta, I used their phone app. I receive a push notification when they scan my luggage on and off the airplane. One time I was even watching out the window, saw the baggage handler scan my case as it went up the belt, and moments later received a message.

Next trip is probably on Alaska. I'll be hoping for the same feature on their app too, if they have one.

This GPS tracker you mention. I was thinking about getting that too. Can they really work in a hard case?

Nah, if it had been a rant, the web site would have physically melted down. Just a friendly warning with a couple of illustrations to show their consistency. And they are consistent.

I'm not entirely sure the gizmos like the GPS tracker are fully legal though. Running a transmitter of any kind onboard commercial aviation, without the pilot's express permission...You know, when the TSA boot asks "What's that, and who is it transmitting to?" is not entirely unexpectable.

Years ago, ataking the Boston shuttle out of Logan, we taxied all the way out to the far corner of the airport, and what did I see on the runway? A USMAIL air mail bag. Which only could have gotten there if it fell out of a plane on the takeoff strip.

Hmmm....Some things just never seem to change, do they?

This GPS tracker you mention. I was thinking about getting that too. Can they really work in a hard case?

Everything attenuates GPS signals to different degrees. I doubt it will work while in a cargo hold of a metal airplane. However, it will likely work through a plastic suitcase. GPS receivers have become more and more sensitive over the years. I get a better/faster signal near a window or outside, but I still get a signal inside. I used to have to mount a GPS antenna on the windscreen of my Cessna using an aviation GPS, but now I get a good fix with an ipad's built in antenna..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom