New Dive Guide for Bonaire Just Published

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This guide is fantastic! After seeing this thread, I downloaded the kindle book for our first trip to Bonaire in April. Concise directions, crystal clear pictures of all the parking and dive entries with detailed suggested dive routs. The outstanding 3d maps for selected sites are just a bonus! It will be a great asset in selecting our dive sites & especially reassuring for my less adventurous wife. After seeing it, I would have paid substantially more than the $10 for it.

Ok....
Just got back from our trip Saturday night. The book was helpful in planning our dive schedule. Each dive sight has a rating for basic open water or advanced open water. Also had ratings 1-3 for Difficulty
Current
Depth
Reef
Fauna
Of the sites we dived, they seemed pretty accurate.

There's also a description for each...
Getting there
Access
Description
Route

We decided to photocopy, laminate, and attach all with a ring each of the 26 mapped sights. To keep in the truck with us. I brought the map for invisibles with us on the dive. Definitely helpful if you hit your marks.

@Motojack Thanks for the list. I decided to wait till I get to Bon and take a look at it there. I doubt I need it but I might buy one anyway. I'd rather spend my money on Bon than Amazon.

BTW Profits for online retail behemoth Amazon soared in 2018, but it paid no federal income tax for the second consecutive year, according to a report published last week. The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy says the company is subject to a 21 percent tax rate on its U.S. income. However, through various tax breaks and credits, the company will receive a tax rebate of $129 million. That's despite the company nearly doubling its profits to $11.2 billion in 2018, up from $5.6 billion the previous year, ITEP reported.

That is just WRONG!!!

Hi Kharon

With your experience in Bonaire you probably do not need it. That being said, I did not need it either, but it has paid for its modest cost by enlightening me to things I had overlooked in my diving here and it just might be worth it for you.

If you were new to Bonaire I would wholeheartedly say it would improve your first (or second or third) visit here as an independent shore diver. I know it would have been for me, stumbling around with the vague "Pisces" Diving Bonaire!

We used it on our trip earlier this month. We also loaned it to other divers in the same rental complex. It's a very well done piece of resource material.

Hi Kharon

With your experience in Bonaire you probably do not need it. That being said, I did not need it either, but it has paid for its modest cost by enlightening me to things I had overlooked in my diving here and it just might be worth it for you.

If you were new to Bonaire I would wholeheartedly say it would improve your first (or second or third) visit here as an independent shore diver. I know it would have been for me, stumbling around with the vague "Pisces" Diving Bonaire!

I will probably buy it even if I don't need it. I love Bonaire and every year before a trip I scour each of my Bon dive books trying to find something I haven't seen, a dive I haven't done, a new way to do a dive I have done. I always find sites I'd like to try. Last trip it was Red Slave and Red Beryl. Red Slave didn't ring my chimes but Red Beryl sure did. Going back there this time for sure (Mar2-9). Besides, as you say, the cost is modest and I like to spend some money locally in addition to the groceries, etc.

I will probably buy it even if I don't need it. I love Bonaire and every year before a trip I scour each of my Bon dive books trying to find something I haven't seen, a dive I haven't done, a new way to do a dive I have done. I always find sites I'd like to try. Last trip it was Red Slave and Red Beryl. Red Slave didn't ring my chimes but Red Beryl sure did. Going back there this time for sure (Mar2-9). Besides, as you say, the cost is modest and I like to spend some money locally in addition to the groceries, etc.

@Kharon - Like you, I didn't really need it, but I went ahead and downloaded the Kindle online version, since it was only $10. I have to say that I was more than pleasantly surprised. It has a lot of additional info (beyond dive site info) that I found very interesting. Some history stuff, explanation about the double reef system, tips on places you might want to stop and eat or visit while out and about diving. It is really well done. Only thing I can see that needs to be updated is the couple of pages detailing the dive sites at Lighthouse Point and Punt Vierkant. It appears that the guide was developed prior to the "somewhat" recent addition of the Delfin's Resort down there.

It makes for a nice online reference for a number of things and something I can use for sharing with first timers to Bonaire.

I just got this on Kindle and it's awesome. I'm diving with my wife and daughter (who is doing her checkout dives there) and the book has been very helpful in that it helps us pick dive sites which are easier access, not too deep and challenging. We're going to be there for 12 days and have 6 boat dives booked. The book is helping me pick dive sites that are very good but only accessible by boat. We're on a charter that only takes 6 and 5 out of 6 days we'll be the only people on the boat (Sea Donkey). So I'd like to be able to make suggestions on where we might go. The owners of Sea Donkey and friends of one of my wife's friends. Really looking forward to this trip and this book has been extremely helpful in our dive planning. I liked the idea someone had of printing and laminating the site maps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom