Is Bonaire worth it for a solo trip if I plan on doing guided shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am responding from Bonaire, thinking about which sites to dive today. This is the first visit for my wife and me, and we’ve had a great trip.

Bonaire Pros:
-Shore dives are indeed as easy as billed. A few slightly dicey entry/exits, but no real issues for our mid-50 yo bodies.
-Minimal current or surface waves.
-Can dive on your own schedule.
-The island caters to divers. Great dive shops abound. We used VIP Diving who are likely the best dive shop we’ve used anywhere.
-Great variety of coral and reef fish.

Cons:
-Less large pelagics than I was hoping to see.
-A few snoozer dive sites (Hilma Hooker esp.)
-Without a guide I’m sure we are missing some interesting critters.

A few suggestions:
-Come with a buddy, both for diving but also for time you’re not diving. Not much else to do here.
-Many dive shops in the US plan group trips here; perhaps there is one you could join and sign up with.
-Purchase the Reef SmartGuide for Bonaire; great site descriptions and maps with suggested routes.

Regardless we’ve enjoyed our time here. Take a look at Bamboo Bonaire Hotel; they have a package that includes a truck and unlimited tanks that are right on the property.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom