Is Bonaire worth it for a solo trip if I plan on doing guided shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is what I have read. With my experience level and lack of practice navigating dives I would still feel most comfortable diving with a professional guide.
The thing about Bonaire is that there is only one direction out and one direction in. There are very few dive sites where it's critical to hit the entry spot to exit. Even if you are far to one side or the other you can drop the tank and walk to the truck and drive back to the tank. I do always take a bearing.heading (always get those two mixed up). before splashing. Also, on the way out I try to find something that I will recognize at a specific depth and go back to that depth and look for it on the way out. Pretty easy to hit the entry point that way.

As a single diver, another option is going boat diving. Saves you the challenge of finding a buddy or a guide.

Boat dives are relatively cheap on Bonaire.

Answering the OP's question: "is Bonaire worth it for a solo trip if I plan on doing guided shore dives" I would say, no.

With the exception of the excellent diving on the east side of Bonaire (White Hole/Turtle City) and certain sites around Klein Bonaire, I found Bonaire fairly lackluster.

If you are sold on spending money for guided dives (given that you describe yourself as a new diver, I think that is both a wise and mature use of money), there are much better options in the Caribbean.

Bonaire's attraction -- diving wise -- is not the diving itself (I'll come out and say it, I think it sucks) but the freedom from a schedule structure, the ability to do your own thing, and the relative cheapness of self-guided shore diving. If you are not taking advantage of that, IMO Bonaire is not worth it.

You can always also use your finger spool to lay a line from the buoy anchor along your descent just to make sure you don't miss it on the return.
Not allowed by STINAPA rules. You may find someone has removed the spool and line when you return to it. Same with little floats tied to "rocks."

Answering the OP's question: "is Bonaire worth it for a solo trip if I plan on doing guided shore dives" I would say, no.

With the exception of the excellent diving on the east side of Bonaire (White Hole/Turtle City) and certain sites around Klein Bonaire, I found Bonaire fairly lackluster.

If you are sold on spending money for guided dives (given that you describe yourself as a new diver, I think that is both a wise and mature use of money), there are much better options in the Caribbean.

Bonaire's attraction -- diving wise -- is not the diving itself (I'll come out and say it, I think it sucks) but the freedom from a schedule structure, the ability to do your own thing, and the relative cheapness of self-guided shore diving. If you are not taking advantage of that, IMO Bonaire is not worth it.
Where do you think in the Caribbean has better diving?

Ok, I both agree (flexibility) and disagree (the diving sucks? Really? I'd like to ask - compared to where in the Caribbean?)

I did my first Bonaire visit as part of the SB Invasion 2024: so I had both morning boat dives (with guides and the entire SB Crew on my boat) and afternoon shore dives with various folks from the SB crew.

I'm not sure I'd say that Bonaire isn't worth it. There were dives that were levels above what I've seen in some of my Caribbean diving.

Are there "maybe meh" dives? Sure. Would I dive them again? Yes. Everywhere has a vibe. Feel the vibe.

At some point I want to go back - If I do that as a single diver, so be it, I'll be willing to book a guide if I don't have my solo cert yet.

Where do you think in the Caribbean has better diving?
While expensive, I feel that the Caymans (GC, LC, CB) all have better diving overall than Bonaire.
I would also put Roatan and Utila on the superior list, as well as Belize (particularly the outer atolls).

Ok, I both agree (flexibility) and disagree (the diving sucks? Really? I'd like to ask - compared to where in the Caribbean?)

I did my first Bonaire visit as part of the SB Invasion 2024: so I had both morning boat dives (with guides and the entire SB Crew on my boat) and afternoon shore dives with various folks from the SB crew.

I'm not sure I'd say that Bonaire isn't worth it. There were dives that were levels above what I've seen in some of my Caribbean diving.

Are there "maybe meh" dives? Sure. Would I dive them again? Yes. Everywhere has a vibe. Feel the vibe.

At some point I want to go back - If I do that as a single diver, so be it, I'll be willing to book a guide if I don't have my solo cert yet.
I was thoroughly unimpressed with the west side diving. Did I have fun? Of course; I can always find something to keep me entertained on any dive. My observation was that the west side shore entry sites (particularly between Salt Pier in the south and Karpata in the north) are intensely overdived. From that perspective I think there are far better options in the Caribbean (and significantly better further afield).

I maintain that since the OP is committed to spending their money for guided dives, they would get significantly better bang for their buck elsewhere. Also, shore diving is tough as you get older! I'm hoping that when my body finally goes, I can find ways to get in the water.

Also, you don't 'need' a solo cert to dive solo. Don't let Patty tell you what to do! :)

Not allowed by STINAPA rules. You may find someone has removed the spool and line when you return to it. Same with little floats tied to "rocks."
Hi Mel.

I agree. I don't place a marker. I think divers should not. I have been amused to see these markers placed within 10 meters of the much more visible mooring buoy. And sometimes have been surprised to see, instead of a cork or flourescent tape tied to a chunk of dead coral, an expensive reel and partly inflated SMB left behind just waiting for someone to steal.

But the self-righteous behavior of removing it and potentially disorienting someone expecting to find it has safety implications of a much higher order than the crime of the act itself.

There is no need to become a sanctimonious reef vigilante. I'm not saying you would, but there are those that do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom