Packing, Travel, and Diving Tips for the SB SURGE to Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called Cayman Airways yesterday and I must have got an inexperienced C/S rep. She said if my bags were over 55 lbs they'd keep whatever was over and send it on a later flight. Trouble is, because my Toronto flight arrival time got pushed back, I now have to get there on the last flight of the day. She also said anything I was over I would pay $1.00/lb for (even when I said the Cayman Airways flight quoted $0.50/lb) and my carryons would likely have to stay behind. She said a personal item is allowed, but it's smaller than my airline allows (website doesn't mention specific size but she said no wider than 14"...but their site mentions briefcase so I'm bringing mine.)

I'm envisioning taking all of my scuba gear out of my carryons, dumping them in my gear bag and having to wait for my carryon and suitcase to arrive the next day.

I'm hoping they'll let me do the same thing on a the way home so my suitcase and carryon can come home with me.

Call and talk to Al @ Bay Adventures!

I called Cayman Airways yesterday and I must have got an inexperienced C/S rep. She said if my bags were over 55 lbs they'd keep whatever was over and send it on a later flight. Trouble is, because my Toronto flight arrival time got pushed back, I now have to get there on the last flight of the day. She also said anything I was over I would pay $1.00/lb for (even when I said the Cayman Airways flight quoted $0.50/lb) and my carryons would likely have to stay behind. She said a personal item is allowed, but it's smaller than my airline allows (website doesn't mention specific size but she said no wider than 14"...but their site mentions briefcase so I'm bringing mine.)

I'm envisioning taking all of my scuba gear out of my carryons, dumping them in my gear bag and having to wait for my carryon and suitcase to arrive the next day.

I'm hoping they'll let me do the same thing on a the way home so my suitcase and carryon can come home with me.

You never know with the airlines, but they are usually more accommodating than you found on the phone. Just be prepared as best you can with the suggestions I posted. And you can call Bay Adventures if it will help to get advice from them too.

Way to go, you got a response and I did not (I emailed twice but you called:cool:).

T minus 45 hours if all goes well. I hope my Twin Otter is named Eagle.

cheers,
m

So I made the cutoff, which is good. Leaving my Apeks regs at home because they're DIN and the adapter and long hose add extra weight. Diving my i3 BC instead of the BP/W also, regular configuration. Got everything in the bag and I'm right at the 55/15 cutoff, so I should be able to bring everything with me.

Just got the long flights and layovers ahead of me now (leaving the home base at 7:30 tonight, 5 hour layover in Calgary, fly to Toronto early in the morning, three more hours laying over there, in Grand Cayman around 2:30ish.

Any fellow Canuckistaners coming down?

Lucky you, I wish I was heading back to the Cayman Islands! Just wanted to share some GCM advice from our recent trip to GC and LC.

If you have a long layover at GCM airport, you don't have to spend the entire time hanging around the airport; the George Town Yacht Club is about 3 minutes away and they provide a free shuttle service:

George Town Yacht Club

https://tinyurl.com/yf3wgx29

On weekdays they open at 11 am but they are open for breakfast at 8:30 am on weekends.

After you arrive at GCM and go through immigration, get your bags and go through customs - then head over to the Cayman Airways ticketing counter to check in for your flight to LC and check your bags.

If you are bringing any duty-free products with you like alcohol, put it carefully secured inside your checked luggage before rechecking because you cannot take more than 3 oz. of liquid or gel through security. Each adult can bring up to 1 liter of liquor with them into Cayman duty-free. You can usually pick some up at the duty-free shop in the airport at your last stop before leaving the US.

After you are checked in with Cayman Airways, grab your carry-ons and go outside the door of the Ticketing Hall. You will see a placard/sign advertising the GTYC and listing their phone number. I think that the van makes periodic rounds but we always just call them and they show up quickly.

Tell the van driver what time you want to head back to the airport and she/he will be waiting to take you back on schedule. You will have to go through Security at the airport to access the Departure Lounge to catch your flight to LC. The GCM airport has added more Security lanes and it usually goes pretty quickly but don't cut it too closely, especially since many of you are traveling on the weekend during the high season.

When you get to the GTYC they will stash your carry-ons for you. You can eat indoors or outside and there is a lovely view of the harbor. We like their cracked conch but their menu is pretty good - much better than the airport venues! They are owned by the same people that own Macabuca and the Cracked Conch.

Another comment, I spent lot of time in the GCM airport in November because we had some weather-related delays and I was freezing cold! I don't know if it was a fluke or if it is always that cold, but you might want to wear/carry some light-weight long pants and a light long-sleeve jacket or shirt.

We were wearing shorts and tees because we had just spent a week on Grand Cayman but luckily I had a pair of yogo pants in my carry-on, but I finally had to give in and I paid too much money at the airport shop to buy a light-weight jacket that proclaims "Cayman Islands" from every possible angle.

So if you tend to feel the cold you might want to be prepared. And it's not a bad idea to have some long pants, a light jacket, socks and shoes with you, anyway. If the wind drops you can become a mosquito target on LC, especially at dusk and at night.

Have a great trip and I hope that you have good weather and diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom