Travels fins for beginner snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbrennan5

New
Reaction score
I'm headed to Negril, Jamaica and plan on cramming some gear into my carry-on. The majority of snorkeling will take place along the cliffs along the shore line, so I won't be traveling long distances or out in open water.

I already purchased a Cressi Big Eyes Pro Mask and Dry Snorkel Set. My wife and I will have seperate sets so they don't need to be adjustable.

What fins should I consider for portability? I was looking at the following:
US Divers Trek Fin - These are the smallest set, but worried they won't provide much propulsion at all.
Cressi Agua Short -
Cressi Light - Not real sure of the difference between the Agua and the Light.
Cressi Palau SAF - Should I even consider these if I don't need adjustable, or should I, so that I can customize the fit?

Thanks for the input!
Matt

What fins should I consider for portability? I was looking at the following:
US Divers Trek Fin - These are the smallest set, but worried they won't provide much propulsion at all.
Cressi Agua Short -
Cressi Light - Not real sure of the difference between the Agua and the Light.
Cressi Palau SAF - Should I even consider these if I don't need adjustable, or should I, so that I can customize the fit?

The Trek fin and Palua SAF have an adjustable strap. Nice for getting them snug, but the foot pockets are a little bigger to accommodate wearing boots with them, but it's hard to tell about the Trek fin from the picture. The foot pockets also look a little more rigid and would not fit snug against one's bare foot. Not comfortable at all.

The difference between the Agua Short and the Light appears to be in the blade design. The outer ridges on the Light run the length of the blade, maybe making it a somewhat stiffer blade, probably why it's meant for swim training. The Agua Short has a few different ridges in the blade probably to allow for flow of the water (better propulsion.)

I like the ease (slip on, slip off) of full foot fins, like the Agua Short, of which I pretty much take on all of my trips - mine have a longer blade as I use them for diving as well as snorkeling. They are not as stiff as the adjustable strap fins so it's also easier to put them in a suitcase as the foot pockets somewhat collapse, thus taking up less space.

I usually take my time when snorkeling so a shorter blade fin would probably work for me - I often snorkel using only my size 12 feet!

Just me but I would be okay ordering adjustable strap fins online as I know I'm wearing a boot with those, although it's still possible a person wouldn't get the correct fit.. If I were getting the full foot fin, I would want to try it on before buying.

Just my take on it. Best of luck in your choice and have fun on your trip!

For open heel I'd go Accels or Go: they're bigger blades that still fit in carry-ons. But they are in a different price bracket and you'd need booties too.

Most of the resorts along Negril beach have dive shops and will allow you to
rent fins if needed . You already have masks and snorkels and since you are
staying close to shore I would not worry about fins . No matter the size they
take up a lot of room in your valuable luggage space . If you plan on venturing
out to the reef via boat then definitely rent fins . Negril is a wonderful place and
the local people are very friendly . Sorry I am not offering any advice on your
fins purchase just advice on having fun . Enjoy it it's Jamaica !
Sea Dwellers

Back
Top Bottom