Packing, Travel, Resort and Diving Tips for SB Invasion 2017 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROXANNE

Artist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Packing and Travel, Resort Info and Diving Tips
for the ScubaBoard Invasion 2017 to Roatan

Well we are getting closer SB Invasion 2017 to Roatan!!!!!
I thought we could touch base on some of the great ideas and info
that everyone has on preparing, packing, travel, the Resort and dive related tips.
For some this is old hat, so share your knowledge.

I’ll get things started… Here are some of my tips and info.
Any new info that I update to these initial posts along the way will be in GREEN
so you won't need to search for changing information!

Anytime you are travelling outside of your normal area, it's good to check
CDC Destinations/Travelers Health Info

While we have no issues that necessitate recommended vaccinations you should always consult with your doctor prior to leaving the country.

Maps of Roatan
Google travel maps
Maps of Roatan Island in the Western Caribbean Area

Here's My Travel Check List I keep on file and printout for each trip. You may use it if you like or make your own list. View attachment 124688
I don’t have to think too much each time about remembering what I need. The list includes everything that might be needed. If there's something on the list that doesn't apply to this trip, I just cross it off. I also include things to do like stopping the mail, newspaper, contacting your cell provider if you want service there, and calling the credit card companies to inform them that I will be going out of the country so they don't cut you off in mid-trip.
It's also a Good thing to start packing early, in case anything needs to be serviced or repaired before you go.

DON'T FORGET These Items when Packing!
Airline tickets/info
for going and return flights
Bay Adventures Travel Vouchers for the Resort and Diving Reservations.
Passports (I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry on)
Driver’s License or if you don’t have one, some other form of picture ID.
Diving Certification Cards (I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry on)
Anthony Key's Resort Forms - Here's the link to the AKR WAIVERS. You can fill out online or there are PDFs at the bottom of the link above if you wish to print, fill out and bring with you. Please fill out for both divers and snorkelers.
Anthony Key's Luggage Tags (They will be mailed to you) Put them on your checked luggage before leaving for airport. These help the AKR staff identify us outside the airport.
DAN and Health Insurance Cards
ScubaBoard Waiver
(Cardzard will email it out to everyone a few weeks before travel. Please print, fill out and bring with you to the welcome party on the 1st night.)
Credit Cards or ATM Cards US dollars, American Express, VISA, and Master Card are excepted at the resort. You can charge your drinks, tips, gift shop and any excursion through the resort to your room.(Be sure to call you card company, let them know when and where you’ll traveling) (FYI Some CC companies charge an extra fee for transactions when out of the country) ATM's are very hard to come by in Roatan. Visit www.oanda.com or www.xe.com for currant rates for those travelling other than from the US.
Cash Small Bills (1’s, 5’s, 10’s and 20’s go a long way) (Some of the restaurants or shops don't accept credit cards or $100 bills if you plan on venturing out on the island.)
Prescription Medication (keep it in the prescription bottle with your name on it)
And always bring a few days extra in case you have travel delays along the way.
Over the counter medications and first aide items that you may need.
Please keep in mind, we are on a very small island and many items are not readily available.
Especially allergy medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction.I have a med pack for traveling with items such as band aides, sports wraps, Benadryl, imodium, advil, bug bite cream etc.
Sunscreen (Try to use products if possible for the coral reefs health)
I found this wonderful line of reef safe products Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen.
Sunglasses and an extra cheep pair for the boat (polarized are better for gazing into the water)
Hats
Beach Towel
Due to water conservation concerns, beach towels are not provided by the resort. Please be sure to pack your own beach towel, or consider buying a souvenir beach towel at the resort.
Pool Towels are provided.
Bug spray (Insect repellent is recommended and is also sold at the resort.) Near sunset and sunrise are the worst time for mosquitoes and no-see-ums.) Here are a few products Cactus Juice , www.reefsafesuncare.com. Here's a comparison of the Best Insect Repellents with Deet. and for Noseeums
I picked up a few of those wrist band to try out. Also don't leave your door open or you may invite the them into your room.
FYI Did you know that if you put hand soap on a bite right away, leave it on and don't scratch it, many times it will alleviate the itch and swelling.
Personal flashlight, You may want to bring a small personal flashlight to assist in walking back to your bungalows at night.
Woolite or those all-in-one washer sheets if you plan on washing the funk off your clothes or dive wear in the sink/tub. Especially great when your staying longer than a week. Don't forget some close pins and lightweight rope too. They help when hanging items up for drying and to keep them from blowing off the porches.
A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.)
Tennis Shoes if your planning on zip lining or going on other Island excursions.
Long Sleeve Shirt and Pants are recommended for horseback riding.

Last edited:
Resort Amenities
Our hosts Anthony's Key Resort Website
Anthony's Key Resort Map
Take a virtual tour of Anthony's Key
And for those of you who love apps,
Here's the links
Android: Anthony's Key Resort - Android Apps on Google Play
iOS: Anthony's Key Resort on the App Store

The Guest Rooms
are equipped with
  • Overhead ceiling fans
  • Radio/alarm clock
  • Hair dryers
  • Free Wifi. (There is also a desktop computer available for guest use in the reception room near the front desk.)
  • Safes are available in each room. Safes measure 6"x20"x20" and can accommodate most electronic devices and other valuables. Safes are accessed by a 4 digit numerical code, which is programmed by the user.
Water All the water at the resort is safe. Bottled water is also available for purchase.You can bring flavor packets or liquids to flavor your water for variety. I like to bring flavor packs for my coffee too! I do strongly suggest drinking only bottled or can drinks when outside the resort and wiping any moisture from the tops to avoid having any health issues. I also like to avoid ice and frozen drinks when outside the resort.You should always be conscience of what you are eating and drinking when you are outside of your normal routine and country.
Electricity North American standard layout and voltage of 110 volts(60 cycles), so adapters or transformers are not required for U.S. and Canadian appliances.
Laundry service is available through an outside provider. Laundry is picked-up each morning at the snack shop before 10:00am and returned in the afternoon after 2:00pm. Cost: $7 for a small load, $14 for a large load.
Meals and beverages
Breakfast 7:00am - 10:00am
Lunch 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Dinner 6:00pm - 9:00pm

1. All resort packages include three meals daily.
  2. Beverages that are included are coffee, milk and juices for breakfast; coffee and iced tea for lunch and dinner. All other beverages (soda, beer, wine, alcohol) are available at an additional charge.
  3. Snacks are available for sale at the Snack Shop from 7 am to 5 pm
  4. For special dietary requests, please advise Bay Adventures prior to departure.
Frangipani (Main) Bar Open 7:00am - 10:00pm Daily. Enjoy specialty tropical cocktails such as the Frangipani and the Monkey La-La. Sodas, non-alcoholic cocktails and alcoholic beverages are reasonably priced. Monday, Wednesday & Friday "Happy Hour" 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Pool Open Daily 8:00am - 10:00pm Towels are available
Pool Bar Open Daily 10:00am - 6:00pm and 3:00pm - 6:00pm on Maya Key beach day
Sip a refreshing afternoon cocktail next to the pool while visiting and mingling with fellow guests.

"Hot Coffee" is available here 24 hours a day.

AKR Tipping Guideline (These are suggestions as Tipping is Personal)
Resort Activities for fun and relaxation.
Dolphins activities.

Taxis are readily available should you desire to leave the property.
Excursions are also available that you can book once you arrive.
Check out some of them on Trip Advisor

I personally don't recommend travelling to the mainland of Honduras.

Activities for the Week

Saturday
~ SB Welcome Party 7:30pm
in the Dining Area

Sunday

~ Father's Day!
~ Fish ID class 6:00pm
in the AKR Scuba School

Monday
~ Maya Key Trip 11:00am - 2:30pm
~ "Happy Hour" 5:00pm - 7:00pm

Tuesday
~ Night Dives Just before sunset

Wednesday
~ "Happy Hour" 5:00pm - 7:00pm
~ Island Fiesta Night 5:00pm - 10:00pm
at the Anthony's Key Pavilion

Thursday
~ Night Dives Just before sunset

Friday
"Happy Hour" 5:00pm - 7:00pm
~ Enter your photos in the
Underwater Scavenger Hunt 5:00pm - 6:00pm
at the Frangipani (Main) Bar area
~ SB Group Picture 7:00pm
Frangipani (Main) Bar area
~ SB Farewell Party 7:30pm
Dining Room

Last edited:
Airline Travel
Due to current security measures, you'll need to allow more time for check-in, security screening and boarding flights. Please check with your airline prior to departure for the latest recommended arrival times and security guidelines. It is also recommended you have a government-issued picture ID available at all times, as well as a printed itinerary if you're using an electronic ticket.

U.S. citizens are required to have a valid U.S. passport. Please make sure your passport is valid at least 6 MONTHS from your return travel date. Residents of all other countries should check with the Honduran Embassy/Consulate prior to leaving for specific entry requirements.

CARRY ON ANY ITEMS THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO LOSE.

Check with your Airline for specific rules as to what's accepted, size and weight limits for luggage and procedure for checking in, as these seem to be changing constantly. For anything in question or in liquid form, check with your airline.

Any items that you couldn't do without such as prescriptions, contacts/glasses, ID’s, Credit Cards, Cash etc., carry in your personal item or on your person, not in your carry on. Sometimes a carry on can be moved to checked luggage if they run out of room and you don't want to be with out those type of items.

Carry on -
ID’s, Credit Cards, Cash etc.
Prescription Medication
Prescription Glasses/Contacts/Mask
Jewelry/watches
Any Cameras/Phones/Electronics/Housings
Rechargeable batteries in individual cases or bags
Your Regulators
Dive Computers
Dive lights (take batteries out or for rechargeable lights, put in locked mode.)

Making the most of the luggage weight restrictions and packing
(Don't forget, Men and Women are allowed to have a personal item purse/back pack/briefcase/man purse in addition to their carry on. Make the most of it!)

I have a large purse that I use just for flying. The personal item is not weighed, so it's great for a few heavier items. Just make sure the items you put in your personal item can be carried on and not needed to be placed in checked luggage. ( Again always check with your airline.)
Think about light weight items when packing. Inexpensive t-shirts (like Hanes or fruit of the loom) are very lightweight, come in multiple colors, are great for shore diving cover ups and can be left behind if you shop too much in town. Light weight dresses, shorts and tops are great for the ladies.Think khakis or other light weight fabrics over jeans.

Shoes
can weigh a lot also. Even thou it's a pain at the airport, I'll wear my tennis shoes as they weigh the most.
A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.)
A personal travel hand scale is an invaluable tool so you don't have surprises when getting to the airport on your flights.

Put your name, address, and phone number inside all your bags including your carry on and personal item in case they become lost or separated from you. Put the AKR tag on the outside of your luggage.
Put some of each persons items in each checked bag. That way if one of the bags get lost, you still have some of your things.
If a solo traveler, try to fit in at least 1 extra of your under garments in your carry on. Outer wear is easier to purchase if your bags arrive late or are lost, but trying to find under garments for purchase can be more difficult.

Travel from Airport to Hotel
Round trip airport transfers are included in your package to and from the airport to Anthony's Key Resort. You should find the details in your travel vouchers from Bay Adventures. The ride is about 15 - 20 minutes.

Weather Forecast to help you decide what to pack
On land, daily lows/highs around 78°F to 86°F.
The average temperature is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit with a humid tropical climate.
10 Day Weather Forecast

Last edited:
Diving Tips
Water Temps and Visibility
Water temperature are around 86° F, with average visibility 70-80 feet. Water Visibility varies based on the site, but is generally very good and can range from 80 to 120 feet or more.

Here's a few links you might be interested in.
AKR Dive Op
Dive Sites
Fish of Roatan View attachment 402231

The AKR Dive Shop
is open from 7:30am until the last boat docks in the evening.

Dive Lockers Open 7:00am – 9:00pm Daily

Tanks, weights and weight belts are included.

Diving Schedule

8:30am - Depart for first single-tank dive
10:30am - Depart for second single-tank dive
2:30pm - Depart for third single-tank dive

All boats return to the dock for a 45 minute surface interval, giving you the flexibility of missing an early or late morning dive if you desire. Please let the dive shop know if you are going to set out a dive. Snacks are also available for purchase at the snack shop on the dock.

Nitrox Info for those using Nitrox AKR has 3 O2 analyzers in the nitrox room. The guests analyze their tanks, fill out the log, and put their locker number on the tank with a piece of tape, so the staff can take the tank and put on the right boat. If tanks are available, please analyze your tanks the night before.

Night Dives Just before sunset, AKR’s dive fleet departs for twice weekly boat night dives (Tuesdays and Thursdays) AKR does have lights available for rental if needed.

Shore Diving
is available Monday thru Saturday from 3:00pm to 9:00pm.

Lion fish
hunting is not permitted by guests.

Camera care
A lightweight cooler bag is a great way to carry those bigger underwater cameras and the smaller ones too! They give the camera some protection and are easy to fold up for packing, light weight and rinse out easily. I have also found the little neoprene draw strings bags with clips are great for protecting your Go Pros on the poles or trays.

Hair care I use Scuba Do Rags to keep my hair under control. If I don't keep my hair braided and covered like that, It would just be shredded. I also like to put some biodegradable condition in it while dry before covering it. I use Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen leave in conditioner. Some kind of covering is great for gals with shorter hair and guys to keep their heads from getting sunburned too. Unless your bald, it very hard to put sunscreen on your scalp.

Skin or Wetsuits? Warm tropical weather are the norm. Water temperature are around 86° F, with average visibility 70-80 feet. So if you're one of those divers that are on the cold side, you might want to bring your 3- 5 ml. wet suit. Otherwise a skin is fine.

Other tips
Bring a thumb drive to share photos and to participate in the underwater scavenger hunt.

This is a good time to get your gear serviced! If it's new or has been services, you might want to get in a pool session/dive in and make sure it works.

They have both Yoke and DIN Tanks, but bring a DIN adapter if diving DIN in case there isn't a tank available.

Get yourself hydrated before the trip and stay hydrated, but don't over do it. Drinking smaller amounts of water through out the day is better than just guzzling a glass or 2.

We like to use baby shampoo for mask defog.

My feet get blisters and take a beating while diving multiple days, so I wear the thin socks. They also help your feet slip into your wet suit!

A water proof bag for the boat and a pelican box or other waterproof case for shore diving come in handy for keeping things dry.

Found this article and thought it might have some helpful tips for your ears and diving. :D
Ear Clearing 101

Some asked about their Save a Dive Kit (Spare Parts) We have a full service dive shops available from our hosts. You'll find they really go out of their way to be helpful there. I would just bring some basics for the boat, O rings, mask strap, tie wraps and elastic bungee etc. I would also include a spare battery for your computer. You may not find your type batteries there so I prefer to have one handy.

Please keep in mind, we are on a very small island
and many items are not readily available.

I also want to remind everyone on
the importance of getting Hydrated before
and
staying Hydrated during the Invasion.
(beer and cocktails don't count)
It will be very hot down in Roatan, especially for the northern folks.
Drinking small amounts continually during the day instead of downing 1-2 glasses a day will help your body retain the liquids better.
And remember if your planning on drinking after diving,
drink some water in between drinks
to help with the adverse effects of drinking and dehydration.
Have fun, but play it smart and safe.

Last edited:
And let's not forget about the snorkeling for our nondivers!
Bring your gear!

Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

8:30 AM Guided snorkel trip
2:30 PM Guided snorkel trip

Monday
8:00 AM Guided snorkel trip
10:00 AM Depart to Maya Key by bus – Snorkeling and beach picnic
2:30 PM Return to AKR

Friday
8:30 AM Depart to Tabyana Beach – Snorkeling at Beach
11:30 AM Return to AKR
2:30 PM Guided snorkel trip

Note: Times are subject to change. Please confirm times at the dive shop.

There will also be the opportunity for a dolphin dive and a shark dive.

Here's the new info.
AKR has requested that everyone sign up
for the following 3 additional options once you get to the resort.

Dolphin Dive
$110
Shark Dive

$115

and
Nitrox for the Invasion
$120 + tax

These can all be charged to your room.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Any new info or answers to questions
will be added in Green to the above posts!

Last edited:
I'm so glad you posted this.... It is a huge help. Gives me a great idea of what to pack where and what to bring. Great job on this thread :D

When do we have to sign up for the shark dive.

When I was there, I signed up early in the week for the thursday shark dive. I would sign up early to secure a spot!

Literally copied and pasted this from my review, but wanted to share. I had an excellent time at Anthony's Key and I hope you guys have a amazing experience! Hope this helps!

Anthony's Key is wonderful. The grounds are nice and clean and the Key itself is a joy to stay at. One thing to note, you have to take a small boat from the key to the mainland (15 sec ride) and climb up a decent flight of steps for food. This was not a problem at all, but I did stay with someone who had knee issues and this became a struggle for him. Otherwise, I have nothing bad to say at all about AK as it is a beautiful site. A few tips:

-We did the dolphin encounter, which was the first time for me so it was great. They offer two things: a dolphin dive in the ocean where you dive and interact with 1-2 dolphins or a dolphin encounter on their key where you get up close and personal with a dolphin, and then you are allowed about a half hour to swim/snorkel in the dolphin area with 4-5 dolphins. We did the dolphin encounter and it was great. Although the visibility was low in the key area, the dolphins swam and played close to me and it was an awesome experience.

-They offer a shark dive, which I highly recommend if you have not done it. They take you out on the other side of the island (roughly 30 min boat ride) and out to the dive site. The only issue is the rough water (conditions may vary), so getting back on the boat was definitely an experience (be mindful of the ladder as it hit numerous divers who were not paying attention). But the dive was wonderful and a crazy experience. We dove with 8-12 reef sharks and being that close to them was amazing.

-The dive staff is fun and courteous. Definitely make sure you do "spooky channel" as it was a really fun and beautiful dive.

-The only downside I found (and this is being picky and very situational) was that I had an ear injury (blood vessel burst outside of my ear drum). The hospital on site for AK was small and only one doctor spoke broken english, so it was a huge hassle for me to get treatment. But stay safe and this wont be an issue!

My final recommendation is the most important. If you are an animal lover, PLEASE get in touch with Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth hangout. I am a huge animal person, and this was an awesome time for me. Daniel (the owner) provided transportation to and from AK to his establishment. He has a small sanctuary on his property with multiple animals (sloths, parrots, capuchin monkeys etc). This is the only place I have ever seen that you can hold and interact with sloths. Daniel is an awesome person and took very good care of us. If you find some free time from diving, do make the effort to see his sanctuary.

Hope everyone has fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom