Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakev07

Registered
Reaction score
Hi again fellow divers :)

I'm a new diver and I'm starting to buy my own equipment. Since I already have a complete set of skin diving gear, I'm now looking at regs and would very much like some advice.

Currently have a limited budget so I generally can't afford new regs (although I would love to) and thus have to settle for used ones. I'm not based in the USA or EU but somewhere in asia so I have a limited selection of used regs.

The options I presently have are

1. Zeagle Flathead XP, Oceanic Alpha 8 octo, Oceanic Gauge (with proof of service by a reputable tech in Feb 16) @ ~255 USD

2. Scubapro MK2+ R295, Scubapro R295 octo, OEM gauge (never serviced before but relatively new at least according to the seller) @ ~255USD

3. Apeks DST+ATX50, No octo or gauge (Serviced in July 15 by an authorized apeks dealer) @~ 230 USD

4. Atomic Aquatics Z2, No octo or gauge (apparently BNIB) @~ 290 USD

5. Hog D2 Reg, Octo and gauge (brand new from LDS) @ ~ 390 USD

My budget is ~400 USD for a complete regulator set (ready to dive)
Advice/opinions from everyone will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

ps: if anyone saw my previous thread, I let a MK25/S600 for 220USD deal slip right through my hands D=

I'd go for the Apeks. Solid, easy breathing reg. I own a fleet of them.

Now continue hitting yourself on the head for letting that Mk25 slip through your fingers :)

problem with the apeks is by the time an octo and gauge is sourced, the $400 budget is gone. Based on those options I would personally go with the hog since it is brand new, with warranty, and is a matching reg set. It's not a bad deal for that, $350 is what I would expect to see not $390, but your country may not follow the same pricing as the US.

1. the flathead is an old design, and you have to find a shop that can service both Huish, and AUP to get the octo serviced. Not impossible, but it restricts you severely.

2. That's too much imho for that reg set used, but would be my second choice. MK2 is a bulletproof reg that is easy to service and the R295 breathes well enough. Requires more TLC than the Hog though due to being an open piston.

3. Apeks-not a bad deal, but by the time a gauge and secondary are sourced you will blow your $400 budget

4. Same deal as the Apeks

5. best bang for your buck, even though it's closest to your budget. By the time the service cost of the others is factored in you are in a similar price range, and this one at least gives you the option to DIY service if you want to.

problem with the apeks is by the time an octo and gauge is sourced, the $400 budget is gone. Based on those options I would personally go with the hog since it is brand new, with warranty, and is a matching reg set. It's not a bad deal for that, $350 is what I would expect to see not $390, but your country may not follow the same pricing as the US.

How about adding a HOG 2nd to the Apeks? I own both and the Apeks breathes a smidgen better than the HOG. The DST is also a reg than can "grow" with you, in case you want to go into sidemount or tech diving. You also need to be sure about availability of service for the HOG, particularly here in SE Asia.

Buying used regs is NOT "settling", there is nothing wrong with doing so at all. Every regulator I own I bought used, except the very first MK2/R190 I bought right out of OW class.

If you can get the MK2/R190 set down to $200 I would consider that a decent deal. I don't know how prices are in your part of the world. But it's a complete set. Maybe you could get the apeks or atomic and then scrounge for a used octo for under $100. Your decision should definitely take into account parts and service availability.

I would decide now if you are also planning to buy a computer; if so, you don't need the gauge set, only a SPG. Then get a wrist computer.

I'd go for the new Hog set. I have an older D2, and it performs as well or better than my ScubaPro MK25, and Oceanic FDX10. I always believe new is better unless you get a great deal on a high end set. Also, any used set would have to be rebuilt (new parts kits) by a reputable tech before I would dive it. Based on info you provided new Hog is a no brainier.

Regardless of what you go with and no matter what they told about it's serviced record, I would still get everything serviced. Maybe I'm just paranoid, just my opinion.

I'm not even going to pretend that I know about the performance of all of this gear, but just make sure it's rated for the type of diving you are going to be doing. For example, if you live somewhere cold, make sure the first stage is sealed and is rated for cold water diving.

I agree with halocline, don't consider buying used as settling. I have an MK25 first stage with an G250V primary and an S600 backup and all of it was bought used at under half the cost of what I would have paid for it new.

Good luck

my vote is for the zeagle with some haggling to get the price lower at around 220. you can always pick up a matching zeagle 2nd stage later on to replace the oceanic octo.

Thanks for the overwhelming response guys. Really appreciate your time :)
Realised I listed some reg sets without individual prices

1. Zeagle Flathead XP (148 usd) + Oceanic Alpha 8 & gauge (107 Usd)

2. Seller refuses to sell separately and has increased the price to (265 USD)

For 3/4 I can buy a new octo (Mares Rover) and OEM gauge(spg) for 150usd

I don't intend on diving in cold water and would have to travel extremely far to reach anywhere which would require anything thicker than a 3mm :)

Would prefer to service any used reg before (thx for bringing it up diverdownd3) using it as my life will depend on it.

For 50usd more I can get a D3 set but is it worth it? Would destroy my budget but if it's a good quality reg I can save a little bit more. Same goes for the apeks.

Although there really isn't a market for used regs here I do have access to a ton of authorized techs and dive shops(only sell bnib though) for almost every conceivable brand :) am very thankful for that

Thanks again guys

Back
Top Bottom