Service technicians: are HOG regulators entirely serviceable with APEKS parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have this HOG first stage that I bought new about 15 years ago.

I'm in a country that doesn't sell HOG.

It's actually breathing fine except the second stages slightly seep air when on land.

An APEKS service guy popped a pressure gauge on the BC inflator hose and noticed that:

- the pressure slowly seeped up instead of immediately locking in at a set pressure

- after purging a second stage the pressure "went off the scale" after the purge

He explained that the needle on the gauge should never slowly seep. It should always pop immediately back to a set pressure, and that this first stage was the worst he's ever seen.

He services APEKS, but has never heard of HOG. Is it possible for him to service this regulator?

IMG_20240322_134022.jpg

IMG_20240322_134030.jpg

IMG_20240322_134057.jpg

You or your Apeks service guy should be able to source HOG service kits via the internet as the brand doesn't restrict sale of kits to end users.

I would recommend calling/writting to Jack Schmidt at Edge-HOG/Divers Supply or @Jim Lapenta here on ScubaBoard for guidance on your specific question:

Jack Schmidt
Edge-Hog Technical Service
1-888-810-4811 Ext. 104
edgediving.technicalservices@gmail.com

Good luck.
-Z

check with scubadoctor au as their house brand line looks like it might be compatible

check with scubadoctor au as their house brand line looks like it might be compatible

not from same OEM/ODM, I would not make the assumption that parts will work

The schematic tells me it's likely not. The diaphragm assembly is different, and the seat may not be compatible. Also, the lifters (what they call the piston) on the newer D1s, which the poster has, are of a different length. And the D1 has never used a copper seat. I can also tell by that schematic that the company that made those is not the same one that produces HOG. The typeface, materials block, and terminology are different. You get to recognize various mfg's and their schematic style when you create manuals from different ones for the regs.
The style is similar, but may not come from the same OEM.
There are three or four mfg's in Taiwan that make a reg like this and the kits, in my experience with going on 15 years of servicing HOG regs, are not compatible. HOG kits are easy to find online, and there is a HOG dealer in Saba and a couple in Hawaii that you could order kits from.
I've seen people try to use Apeks kits in them, which weren't optimal. Apeks uses different materials and torque specs are different in some critical areas. Have a friend send you a nice thick letter that happens to contain a kit or two.

Back
Top Bottom