Apeks ATX50 from 2001 - still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, 35 25 years, certainly older than mine and if that’s the case my reg still has a lot of life left. I believe I can buy the parts easily enough here but only see XTX versions, which I assume is compatible with the ATX? Did you learn how to service it from a dive shop or is it something I can possibly learn from YouTube videos? Also, I always assumed that the service tech used special equipment to test it before use, how do you do it yourself? Do you just attach it to a tank and check how it breathes?
I’m pretty sure my first stage is a DST since it had a swivel turret.

Thanks for the advice!
1. Learnt it properly from a technician. Video on you tube is certainly helpful but you really need someone to guide you through.
2. IP gauge is the only special gauge that I used for the 1st stage. You can spend a lot of money on equipment/tool if you want to fine tune the 2nd stage.
The IP gauge is a must and dirt cheap as well.
3. DST usually pairs with the 50 series. FSR with the 200 and DS4 with the 40.

Never say never, I always bring a complete backup set even if I don’t use it, a few months ago I forgot to pack my primary reg set (weird busy week ) and ended up using the back up once I reset my computer to that transmitter. Stuff happens and you’ll be in a easy diving location.
Just when I thought I could be satisfied with my decision to keep the old reg and not buy a new one... you guys give me more reasons to buy new stuff!!! LOL

But if I travel don't I have to worry about luggage weight? Isn't that why some people buy travel regs for their weight savings? Bringing a backup reg certainly wouldn't help that... Or should I buy a lighter reg like the Apeks XL4+ and also bring the ATX50? Decisions, decisions...

I second this advice.
Another vote to buy new gear! Thanks!

Overall probably right, but a 4 year idle period probably does justify a service.

I have been diving lately with a set regulators made before 1988. Work almost as good as my 2 year old ones, and it is a lot of fun to get comments from other divers. Old well service regulators are just as safe as new regulators.

You only need to buy new regulators if you can not get service (or parts if you DIY), or if you (or someone else) abused your old regulators.

But sometimes buying new is fun anyway!
If I buy a new reg and use the ATX50 as a backup, and if I don't use it after servicing, how long do you guys think I can go before having to service it again? 2 years, 3 years? Or can I just have it inspected by a professional after 2 years and if it doesn't need servicing, be confident using it?

Buying new is definitely fun! Thanks!

Just when I thought I could be satisfied with my decision to keep the old reg and not buy a new one... you guys give me more reasons to buy new stuff!!! LOL

But if I travel don't I have to worry about luggage weight? Isn't that why some people buy travel regs for their weight savings? Bringing a backup reg certainly wouldn't help that... Or should I buy a lighter reg like the Apeks XL4+ and also bring the ATX50? Decisions, decisions...
Do you check a bag or carry everything?

1. Learnt it properly from a technician. Video on you tube is certainly helpful but you really need someone to guide you through.
2. IP gauge is the only special gauge that I used for the 1st stage. You can spend a lot of money on equipment/tool if you want to fine tune the 2nd stage.
The IP gauge is a must and dirt cheap as well.
3. DST usually pairs with the 50 series. FSR with the 200 and DS4 with the 40.
1. Got it, will definitely look into it and see if I can make friends with a technician!
2. I see, I guess if I dive a lot it will definitely be worth investing in the equipment.
3. Thanks for the info!

Do you check a bag or carry everything?
Depends on the destination, duration of the trip... I usually put my regulator in my carry on as I don't trust it getting lost in checked baggage. There are some trips I'm eyeing that might involve small plane flights where they weigh everything though, including carry-ons.

Depends on the destination, duration of the trip... I usually put my regulator in my carry on as I don't trust it getting lost in checked baggage. There are some trips I'm eyeing that might involve small plane flights where they weigh everything though, including carry-ons.
When I carried everything I went with titanium but overall you only save a few pounds, now I just use my cold water stuff, switch it to yoke pull the drysuit hose and check it.

If I buy a new reg and use the ATX50 as a backup, and if I don't use it after servicing, how long do you guys think I can go before having to service it again? 2 years, 3 years? Or can I just have it inspected by a professional after 2 years and if it doesn't need servicing, be confident using it?

Buying new is definitely fun! Thanks!
Just use it every year or so. An inspection is enough if it is getting light use.

Just use it every year or so. An inspection is enough if it is getting light use.
Thanks, I'm thinking of getting either the XTX50 or XTX200 with XTX 40 set, and if I use the old ATX50, I could take the XTX40 from the new set and use it with the old set. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom