Apeks ATX50 from 2001 - still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been away from diving for about 4 years after having a kid, so wanted to ask everyone's advice on whether or not I should replace my gear - I have an old Apeks ATX50/CTX50 that I bought back at the end of 2001, and have only used it for a total of about 120 dives or so over the years, mostly on dive vacations. Some years it wasn't used at all, and it's been almost 4 years since I last went diving. I found a dive shop that can still maintain it and am in the process of getting it serviced as I always have - I usually service it before a dive trip if I haven't used it yet that year.

I'm looking to get into diving again and hopefully more often since I moved to Asia, and wondering if this Apeks reg, which has been lightly used over the years, should be good enough, or if I should buy a new regulator set. I also have an Atomic SS1, which I got back when a instructor said it was a good way to streamline with less hoses but considering getting a new octo for easier sharing in case of emergency.

The cost for servicing the ATX50 is about $110 USD, and a new octo (probably XTX40) would cost about $240 USD.
A new set of XTX50 + XTX40 would cost just under $800
XTX200 + XTX40 would be just about $950
Scubapro MK25EVO 620TI + R195 would be about $1150

Technician said if I service the ATX50, could probably sell it used for about $325

Since I have to invest in a new octo anyway, would it make sense to get a new regulator set, or is the Apeks still good enough to last several more years? I read through some of the forums that suggested regulators lasting in excess of 30 years if properly maintained.

I also have an old Seaquest Balance (also from 2001), thinking of replacing with a more modern BCD, and a Oceanic Atom 1.0 which I think still functions...going to try it on a shore dive this weekend along with trying my Apple Watch Ultra as a dive computer to see how it goes. Having only done 125 dives in 20+ years, I'm obviously a recreational diver (who knows, maybe I'll dive more with the abundance of choices in Southeast Asia). Part of me thinking upgrading my gear might give me even more incentive to dive more often (or maybe that's just an excuse to upgrade). :)

What do you guys think of the above regulators, and if I should stick with the ATX50? Appreciate any and all comments, thanks in advance!!!

I dive similar older Apeks regs with no desire to replace. I think they are probably a bit bulky compared to newer stuff but suit my cold water uk diving.

If you want new shiny then do it, especially if it encourages you to get into diving again. Won't actually function any better though🙂

I dive similar older Apeks regs with no desire to replace. I think they are probably a bit bulky compared to newer stuff but suit my cold water uk diving.

If you want new shiny then do it, especially if it encourages you to get into diving again. Won't actually function any better though🙂
Thanks for the advice Vitesse2l! I am tempted to get new gear for safety / peace of mind, but if a 20+ year old Apeks is still serviceable and safe to dive with, and I'm not compromising anything, may just stick with it. Also, it doesn't seem like there has been much new innovation or technological advances in the past 20 years that scream "must upgrade!", otherwise it would be an easier decision... would you agree?

Hi
You are "lucky" to have a technician who is honest and willing to service your reg instead of trying to sell you a new reg.
So just ask him to service your reg.
Then buy a new second or secondhand second from him and go diving without worrying about your reg.
Regarding the bcd, just inflate it, leave it overnight, and in the morning check if it has deflated. If it is fine, there is no need to buy a new one.
For the computer, compare with the Apple watch.
Like in many fields, diving doesn't need to be about the latest piece of equipment.
Enjoy your new diving chapter :)

Reactions: L13
Thanks for the advice Vitesse2l! I am tempted to get new gear for safety / peace of mind, but if a 20+ year old Apeks is still serviceable and safe to dive with, and I'm not compromising anything, may just stick with it. Also, it doesn't seem like there has been much new innovation or technological advances in the past 20 years that scream "must upgrade!", otherwise it would be an easier decision... would you agree?
As far as I understand, Apeks regs are essentially the same through the range and down the years, so no real innovation. I'd replace old hoses though, which goes a way towards new gear...

Keep the reg.

I bought my TX50 in 1998/9 and is still my work horse(rec/tec).
Dead easy to service it(DIY), getting the spare part is the only issue in some countries.
TX series is more bulky than ATX.

Proper name for the most common Apeks 1st stages: FSR, DST and DS4. I believe FST is no longer produced. There are others but not that common eg. UST, US4.

If (since) they can still be srviced and where just serviced by a trusted technician then there is no reason to purchase a new set. However, if you just want new regulators the economy will appreciate your expenditure. And maybe keep them for a spare set. In fact, your regs sound perhaps a little bit over serviced :wink:.

Hi
You are "lucky" to have a technician who is honest and willing to service your reg instead of trying to sell you a new reg.
So just ask him to service your reg.
Then buy a new second or secondhand second from him and go diving without worrying about your reg.
Regarding the bcd, just inflate it, leave it overnight, and in the morning check if it has deflated. If it is fine, there is no need to buy a new one.
For the computer, compare with the Apple watch.
Like in many fields, diving doesn't need to be about the latest piece of equipment.
Enjoy your new diving chapter :)
Hi Jale, great points and advice, will consider the secondhand second, and that sounds like a good way to check if a BCD is still good. I guess I just assumed that diving gear had a limited lifespan so thought I would be compromising my safety by continuing to use them, but it sounds like that’s not the case. Thanks, looking forward to diving again!

As far as I understand, Apeks regs are essentially the same through the range and down the years, so no real innovation. I'd replace old hoses though, which goes a way towards new gear...
Thanks for the suggestion , I’ll replace the hoses - would you guys recommend regular rubber hoses or the new braided flex hoses like miflex?

Thanks for the suggestion , I’ll replace the hoses - would you guys recommend regular rubber hoses or the new braided flex hoses like miflex?

High quality RUBBER!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom