Final decisions on my SeaSkin drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am finalizing my decisions for my Seaskin Nova suit and would like a little final advice before I pull the triger. I know there are a few other active threads on this subject but I didn't want to hijack other OP's threads.
  • Dry glove systems: I currently have a fairly new set of Rolock rings installed on the zip seals of a really old DUI suit (2002). I am considering 2 options:
    • Use my Rolock rings. Which suit ring system can I best use with my current Rolock rings? or will I need to get the Rolock-90 kit regardless to make it work?
    • Kubi rings. More expensive, but if I would need the Rolock-90 kit anyway, not much more. Seem to have better reviews, even though I am happy with my current Rolocks.
  • Can someone clearly explain the advantages and disadvantages of moving the dump to the DIR position?
  • Can someone clearly explain the advantages and disadvantages of the SITech Valve set over the Apeks Valve set?
  • How to specify Name Badge details beyond just the name, do they have templates, do they already have pictures you can use, etc.?
I bought my DUI suit used, and it is starting to show its age. Doing the necessary maintenance and repairs would cost at least 1/2 the cost a a new SeaSkin (the zipper is on it's last legs, etc.), so it is going to be my backup suit from here on out.

Good choice on the name patch! This is what they say when you select it:

Enter what you want embroidered onto the badge (check your spelling ) and what National flag, or a simple picture* if any.
*Note any picture will be a maximum of 8cm x 8cm fine detail and shading is not possible. Colours available are black, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. you can email the picture to sales@seaskin.co.uk with your order number.

If you want to use RoLock 90 get the si Tech oval QCS ring, RoLock is is much better for me, I really like that I can leave the glove on the suit in transport and while putting it on in a Sandy area, and I just twist to remove before putting my arms in the suit, easier that other systems in every aspect. You existing RoLock is not compatible with the QCS RoLock 90, same principle but different size.

real world different between apeks and sitech probably don’t matter, I always go sitech because I have a few spares.

i prefer the standard position of my dump valve because it works perfectly for me and I’m not in a cult. :wink:

I don’t do name patches because I know who I am and if there comes a time I don’t know who I am it doesn’t matter.

Crotch reinforcement for a crotch strap and a P valve?
I'm getting a P-valve, didn't need help with that decision.

The only reinforcement I was getting was the knee pads, is there a good reason to get other areas? SeaSkin seems to discourage it.

Kubi rings for sure. They are stupid simple and rock solid.

I got back and knee reinforcement because I dive a BP/W and do mostly shore diving. I end up dropping too a knee more often than I would like. Avoid crotch, I've heard more than a few SS leaking due to that specific reinforced area.

SiTech valves. When I was reading EVERYTHING about the different options prior to ordering my Seaskin I'd read a few more neg things about apex than sitech. I don't remember what it was but sitech stood out as potentially better.

Name patch: I told them I wanted my name and the USMC flag. They delivered an awesome patch.

20230209_170659.jpg

Reactions: L13
You existing RoLock is not compatible with the QCS RoLock 90, same principle but different size.
Bummer, that would have saved a lot, and made the decision easier.

real world different between apeks and sitech probably don’t matter, I always go sitech because I have a few spares.
Then I'll probably stay with the standard.
EDIT: Now @Boarderguy is convincing me different.

i prefer the standard position of my dump valve because it works perfectly for me and I’m not in a cult. :wink:
I'm not in the cult, but occasionally they have good ideas.

I don’t do name patches because I know who I am and if there comes a time I don’t know who I am it doesn’t matter.
I thought it might be nice for the students, since I'm starting to work as a DM.

I'm not in the cult either, but I do like the DIR dump valve position. SeaSkin's website has a good explanation of the tradeoffs. They call out a downside regarding reaching the valve. I don't find that it makes the dump valve difficult to reach, but maybe somebody with shoulder mobility issues or very thick undergarments would disagree. I also leave the valve open the whole dive, so don't really need to reach the valve very often, maybe somebody who relies on the suit for buoyancy control would disagree.
https://seaskin.co.uk/product/move-dump-dir/:
The standard position for the automatic dump (which is standard on the Nova drysuit) is well up on the left upper arm facing slightly forward. This offers the best compromise between ease of dumping air and also being easily reached with the right hand should a loss of buoyancy from your BCD mean you need to close the valve to allow air to be retained within the drysuit.

For those divers who prefer to maintain a horizontal position at all times during a dive (or have to due to confines of space) then a valve position a little further down the arm (11cm) and further round to the outside of the arm (6cm) is preferred.

This change aids air dumping when horizontal but can hinder valve operation if the suit is worn with thicker undersuits and certain kit configurations. It also makes donning one piece webbing harnesses easier. Here we call this the “DIR” position as it is favoured by those divers, but it is by no means restricted to that community. Just be aware that if you need to shut the dump down quickly then its access is reduced.

To add my own color to that a bit, picture yourself horizontal, with your hands clasped together or maybe holding a camera. This is the posture I try to stay in most of the time while diving. Not for cult reasons, but because it works well for me. The standard valve position is just above and slightly to the left of your left armpit. Relative to the water column, that puts the valve facing slightly down and slightly forward. To dump air, you need to raise your arm a bit, and you may need to either twist your torso a bit to the left, or roll your whole body a bit.

The DIR location is a few inches down your arm, and is a little further to the left. When you are diving in horizontal trim, the valve is facing a little higher, and is a little further to the outside of your body. If you want to dump, you can achieve that by raising your arm, and hopefully not twisting your torso or rolling your body at all. Or at least, you would need to twist/roll a bit less. This is because the valve is further down your arm, so your arm can do more of the work, and your torso can do less. Is that a huge win in open water, where small trim adjustments don't really matter much? No, probably not. But, it's a small win, and it's free, so I like to recommend it to people.

Does anyone that prefers the Kubi's have an opinion on the Neo Kubi Ring Covers?

Once you add up the extras you need with each glove system, they are almost the same price.

Does anyone that prefers the Kubi's have an opinion on the Neo Kubi Ring Covers?

Once you add up the extras you need with each glove system, they are almost the same price.
I got the covers and am glad I did. They keep the rings protected when diving and less likely for something to somehow wedge in there and separate them. I flip them down over the suit side after I've taken the gloves off to protect the aluminum from nicks and dings. I'm not very gentle when doffing or tossing it into the back of my truck.
20230311_141557.jpg

Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom