Final decisions on my SeaSkin drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20230311_141544.jpg

I'm getting a P-valve, didn't need help with that decision.

The only reinforcement I was getting was the knee pads, is there a good reason to get other areas? SeaSkin seems to discourage it.
Diving a BPW with a crotch strap the crotch reinforcement can help protect that area from abrasion by the strap. I don’t see that it would hurt. It should simply be glued to the surface of the trilam material.

Diving a BPW with a crotch strap the crotch reinforcement can help protect that area from abrasion by the strap. I don’t see that it would hurt. It should simply be glued to the surface of the trilam material.
Have you actually tried it? There have been multiple reports of it actually causing wear and leaks. And, SeaSkin recommends against it.

My drysuit does not have a crotch reinforcement. I dive it with a backplate with standard 2" nylon crotch strap, and have not noticed any abrasion issues there.

I also have a Deep6 3mm wetsuit that does have kevlar reinforcements on the crotch, and have not had abrasion issues either. It does make it a lot noisier when I walk around though, as the kevlar bits on the inner upper thigh rub on each other and make a swishing sound. I could see it eventually creating a wear issue, but I expect the neoprene in the suit, the seams, the zipper, etc to fail long before that.

But, the Deep6 website did mention that when they put the crotch strap reinforcement on there, they primarily had in mine divers who clip a scooter to the crotch strap D-ring, which supposedly creates additional wear as the scooter tugs on the strap. I don't dive with a scooter so I can't speak to whether that is a problem worth solving, or whether kevlar on the crotch solves it, but maybe one of the FL or MX deep-penetration cave divers can chime in.

Have you actually tried it? There have been multiple reports of it actually causing wear and leaks. And, SeaSkin recommends against it.

This post and a few after it specifically talk about crotch strap induced wear. But, it’s also on DUI so maybe material is different enough? I got it on my TLS350 and don’t see how it would create problems.

Maybe it’s the drysuit version of beans or no beans chili.

This post and a few after it specifically talk about crotch strap induced wear. But, it’s also on DUI so maybe material is different enough? I got it on my TLS350 and don’t see how it would create problems.

Maybe it’s the drysuit version of beans or no beans chili.
Your link doesn't work.

Do you have any experience with the SeaSkin crotch reinforcement? Or do you have any experience with a crotch wearing out on dry suits in general? You seem very concerned that I should get this one SeaSkin option and not any of the other reinforcement options, I'm curious why. Particularly since SeaSkin recommends generally against this option.

I also have a Deep6 3mm wetsuit that does have kevlar reinforcements on the crotch, and have not had abrasion issues either. It does make it a lot noisier when I walk around though,
"What's that sound?"
"My crotch"
"Sorry I asked"

:oops: :cool:

Your link doesn't work.

Do you have any experience with the SeaSkin crotch reinforcement? Or do you have any experience with a crotch wearing out on dry suits in general? You seem very concerned that I should get this one SeaSkin option and not any of the other reinforcement options, I'm curious why. Particularly since SeaSkin recommends generally against this option.

Below is the link to the full thread. Granted this is in reference to a DUI suit and from 2014, but I'm simply putting it out there. DUI still installs one as part of their “tech” package. But, different manufacturer and different materials.

If Seaskin offers one but generally doesn’t recommend it, perhaps the question would be in what circumstances/application would they recommend it. Strange that it is offered but it’s not recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom