Drysuits - telescopic torso (TLS) - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irsubmarine

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm close to ordering a drysuit.

One of the options I keep reading about is a telescopic torso (TLS). I am confused what this actually means.

Does TLS change the look of a drysuit? Are there any reasons to get it or avoid it? I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what a telescopic torso on a drysuit actually means. Bonus points for pics! :bounce:

See how the suit looks folded over where their belt would normally be? You can see a small buckle on both of them that is attached to an elastic crotch strap. With front entry suits, they put an extra 4-6" of material in the torso so you can get in and out of it since the material doesn't stretch so you can get your head out. Once you are in the suit, you fold it over and buckle it with the crotch strap so it stays in place.

TLS350-2.jpg

This telescoping is more comfortable to me than the stretchy type drysuit, however it is hard to fit over a butt or tummy, even a little one, unless you special order. You do not want the overly long legs that come with larger sizes as that is The Worst for Bouyancy Control.

See how the suit looks folded over where their belt would normally be? You can see a small buckle on both of them that is attached to an elastic crotch strap. With front entry suits, they put an extra 4-6" of material in the torso so you can get in and out of it since the material doesn't stretch so you can get your head out. Once you are in the suit, you fold it over and buckle it with the crotch strap so it stays in place.

Thanks tbone! So, without TLS the suit would visually be more like a one-piece suit (like those 80's ski-suits? :D)? If a drysuit manufacturer gives the option to include TLS or to omit it, would there be a specific reason to go for TLS? (I'm going into tech if that makes a difference).

This telescoping is more comfortable to me than the stretchy type drysuit, however it is hard to fit over a butt or tummy, even a little one, unless you special order. You do not want the overly long legs that come with larger sizes as that is The Worst for Bouyancy Control.
Thanks for that, I plan to order a completely custom drysuit. You have me worried though, I'm really tall with long legs, I hope that won't affect my buoyancy too much haha.

@irsubmarine the only reason to have it is to get in and out of the suit. You can't really get into a trilam suit without it. Some neoprene suits don't need it *pinnacle black ice comes to mind*, but most of them do. Which manufacturer is giving the option, which one are you looking at and why, and where are you located?

Aha, so the actual application is not some performance oriented design. I'm located in the Canary Islands and will be going for a Seaskin Nova (membrane) drysuit. I have a few friends that swear by that manufacturer and they have good pricing, so I'm following their lead.

From their site
This option gives a more traditional telescopic torso or TLS cut to the Nova drysuit. The normal Nova has an extendable back system which places the extra length in the body where it is most needed, the midline of the back panels. With the TLS the extra length is in a band all the way around the body. This gives maximum flexibility to the upper body and makes the suit easier to put on and take off but it does increase the internal volume of the drysuit which can slow air migration.
I couldn't make much visual sense from that description.

I suppose it won't affect performance much as they say air migration can be slightly slower?

All of the front entry suits I have owned have had telescoping torso's. I've never noticed an issue in the water and never had an issue with air migration. It does increase the theoretical volume of the suit, but you control the volume by how much gas you put in there, which in Canary Island temps in the high 60's, you shouldn't have that much.
Hell, unless you're doing dives longer than 2 hours, or more than 4 hours per day in the water, I wouldn't bother with a drysuit, but to each his own

Hell, unless you're doing dives longer than 2 hours, or more than 4 hours per day in the water, I wouldn't bother with a drysuit, but to each his own

Or you are a wimp when it comes to cold temperatures like me.

All of the front entry suits I have owned have had telescoping torso's. I've never noticed an issue in the water and never had an issue with air migration. It does increase the theoretical volume of the suit, but you control the volume by how much gas you put in there, which in Canary Island temps in the high 60's, you shouldn't have that much.
Thank for that insight! That extra volume was worrying me a little but good to hear it's actually negligible.

Yea, last year I didn't consider a drysuit but as time went on and I keep diving regularly, the cold starts creeping in when I use wetsuits and drysuits appear to be a comfortable alternative. Though, the real reason I'm getting one is for tech diving in Gozo. Water will be colder there.

Or you are a wimp when it comes to cold temperatures like me.
lol, count me in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom