About to pull the trigger - Seaskin Nova specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting my first Seaskin after my brand new Santi Elite + was stolen after about 10 dives. Long story, but here we are.

Anyway. Just sharing here in case anyone sees any red flags regarding options. I frequently wear an Aqualung Thermal Fusion + multiple base layers hence the allowance for thick undersuits. Goal is to go with Rolock 90's for the drygloves, as I think it is slightly less bulky than the round SiTech rings on my current suit, and people seem to really like them. From what I've read a pair of large bellows pockets should be good to carry a mask, DSMB + spool, wetnotes pretty easily.

I'm less sure how necessary the telescopic torso, elasticated back panel, and reinforced crotch panel really are.

Fully Telescopic Torso w/ Allowance for extra thick undersuits
Main Body Dry Zip Cover
Fitted SiTech Trigon Pee Valve w/ Pee Valve Hose Tidy
HD Latex Neck Seal
Warm Neck Simple
SiTech Oval Cuff Rings (Siflex seals)
SiTech Valves
Neoprene socks
Kevlar Knee Pads
PU Crutch Reinforcement
Increase Braces width to 40mm
2 x Large Bellows pockets

I have a Nova on order and I could comment on your options, but I would be just parroting others who actually know what they’re talking about. Go to this thread, if you haven’t already, and have all your questions answered.

The only glaring thing is the crotch reinforcement....folks have mentioned that it causes more wear and tear than it prevents.

Also, I am partial to si-tech's neck seal systems with silicone seal...to me, replaceable seals are good insurance to save a dive should a seal become compromised. I used to whitewater kayak and can tell many stories about folks who made long drives out to various rivers only to have their day cut short because their latex neck seal split while putting on their kayaking drysuit.

-Z

Add sitech quick neck and back reinforcement and that's a fine suit. A user replaceable neck seal is gold. You can get latex, silicone, and neoprene seals for the sitech. You don't need the crotch done as that has been the source for some leaks, or so we've been told. I prefer kubi for their simplicity and bulletproof design. @rob.mwpropane can chime in with his preference for the 90s.

Add sitech quick neck and back reinforcement and that's a fine suit. A user replaceable neck seal is gold. You can get latex, silicone, and neoprene seals for the sitech. You don't need the crotch done as that has been the source for some leaks, or so we've been told. I prefer kubi for their simplicity and bulletproof design. @rob.mwpropane can chime in with his preference for the 90s.

Waterproof Ultimas - dead simple, robust, never leaked on me (well twice, but user error and realized right at the surface). Just hard to load the gloves on. Almost zero maintenance, lube once every 20 dives or so. I think they're slightly more expensive then Rolock 90's.

Rolock 90's - a little more of what seemed like a break in period, a little more complicated. I do like them, but they are more maintenance. Stupid easy to load. I have to lube every 5-7 dives and have to pay better attention to keeping the o rings clean. They have never leaked, but I really have to pay attention to the twist. If it's starting to get harder it's time to clean and lube otherwise I might not be able to twist the next time. They have also never leaked on me. They were like $150 last time I checked?

Kubi - I have no personal experience with except @Boarderguy love fest with them. I wouldn't be surprised if he sleeps with them on. I would bet his wife feels like the 3rd wheel at this point, and all his friends are tired of hearing about how great they are (cough, cough). His OF page is him modeling them and nothing else, and I have read that the only way he's willing to hold hands is if you too have Kubi's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

With that said I have seen them pop off a buddy underwater at about 90' deep. He couldn't figure why that happened. He's way more advanced of a diver then I am, so I'm not inclined to think it was user error. But he still uses them and as far as I know no issues since. Also the most expensive option of the 3.

All 3 systems work and are dry. Each has it's own little nuances and secrets to unlock with experience.

I wouldn’t get any of the reinforcements nor the neck warmer, I use the Si Tech quick and the waterproof neoprene neck seal, much warmer and isn’t in the way of repairs like the warm neck . I don’t see the point of the hose tidy but…

and yes to RoLock

Reactions: Zef
Kubi - I have no personal experience with except @Boarderguy love fest with them. I wouldn't be surprised if he sleeps with them on. I would bet his wife feels like the 3rd wheel at this point, and all his friends are tired of hearing about how great they are (cough, cough). His OF page is him modeling them and nothing else, and I have read that the only way he's willing to hold hands is if you too have Kubi's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
When my wife orders her SS they'll have kubi on them. She has no opinion on it so my choice for ease of use means she gets kubi. The only problem is color choice for suits so she's thinking all black with pink stitching...

When my wife orders her SS they'll have kubi on them. She has no opinion on it so my choice for ease of use means she gets kubi. The only problem is color choice for suits so she's thinking all black with pink stitching...
Mine is half pink with black stitching, so we are similar

But won't that lead to mix ups when you grab your suits?

Just sayin.

:p

-Z

But won't that lead to mix ups when you grab your suits?

Just sayin.

:p

-Z
No, I've got the 90mm and she'll have the 70s. My suit is black with red, hers would be all black with pink stitching. My kit will live in my normal area, hers will likely live in the shed and never be used lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom