Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I ordered a new Seaskin Nova (trilam) drysuit at the beginning of June. It arrived last week. I took it up to the Saint Lawrence River and did 7 wreck dives from Fri to Mon (yesterday), as part of an Advanced Wreck Penetration class with @Trace Malinowski. I am VERY pleased with how it worked out.

Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Their suits are all made to measure. I ordered almost every option they offer. The price of the base suit is around USD$540. Mine, with all the options was somewhere around USD$1100. That is including a Si Tech Quick Neck system with silicone seal, Kubi dry glove rings and silicone seals, nice zippered thigh pockets, a Si Tech Trigon pee valve, a YKK plastic zipper, Kevlar knee pads, attached neoprene socks, my name and country flag embroidered on one sleeve and on the upgraded drysuit bag, and gauge holder straps on both sleeves. Plus some other minor options.

I also bought the Seaskin base layer, which is pretty much like cold weather Under Armour, their 250gram 1-piece coverall, their 150gram sleeveless shorty, and their 150gram socks. But, the lowest temps over the weekend were 61F at 150'. So, I wore the base layer and a pair of wool leggings and a long sleeve wool t-shirt. And short wool socks. I tried on the drysuit over the 250gram undergarment at home, but I haven't dived with it yet. The total, with all the undergarments and shipping from the UK here to VA, was just under USD$1500.

It also had in the bag the various owners manuals for the valves and neck seal system, the tool for replacing the neck seal, a big bottle of French talc, for the seals, and a piece of material and tie for making a talc bag.

Results? The suit seems to fit me pretty much perfectly. And it feels very sturdy. Definitely more sturdy feeling than my Waterproof D9X drysuit that I have been using. I did 7 dives that involved wreck penetration. Several with some pretty tight quarters. And all the wrecks are covered in sharp zebra mussel shells. The suit got some dirt streaks on some of the red areas but otherwise still looks like new. My previous drysuits have had thigh pockets with velcro flap closures. I am really happy that I got these pockets with zippered closures. The big flaps just get in the way once they're open and I'm trying to get anything out. With the zippers, I just put a piece of thick bungee and tied a loop in it for one zipper pull on each side. That made it very easy to find the zipper pull and open and close the pocket. I was in and out of both pockets for reels and a backup mask numerous times over the weekend and the pockets worked well for me.

The Seaskin base layer kind of put me off at first. It fits well. But, when I tried it and the suit on when I received it, it was warm and I got sweaty donning and doffing in my living room. The base layer seemed like it was still damp the next day. I thought it seemed like it should have been much quicker to dry. Then I used it for 4 days in a row up in NY and Canada where it was in the 80s surface air temp. I got sweaty. Especially doing 3 dives the very first day. What I realized is that the base layer would still feel damp the next morning, every day. But, I never felt damp when I had it on. My conclusion is that the base layer really did pull the moisture away from my skin and wick it to the outside of the base layer. It kept ME feeling warm and dry, even though it felt slightly damp on the outside. So, I reckon it works exactly like it should. And it's pretty darn cheap. I think I'm going to order another set and some spare silicone seals now, just to have them.

I have owned a Bare XCS2 Tech and still own a Waterproof D9X. I have also thoroughly examined a decent number of other suits, including Fourth Element, Hollis, Mobby's, Aqualung/Whites, DUI, and Santi. Right now, I would put this suit up against any of them for quality. And, being made to measure, it fits me better than anything else I have tried. The price is simply unbelievable!

A couple of pictures:

Seaskin1.jpg Seaskin2.jpg Bunny1.jpg

Also, I finally took @tbone1004's advice and bought some NRS Paddle Wetshoes to use over the suit's neoprene socks. $55

NRS Paddle Wetshoes - Men's | REI Co-op

I have been using some cheap ScubaPro booties in size 13 to fit over my other suit's neoprene socks. I never liked them because, in order to be wide enough, I had to buy ones that were too long.

I went by my shop and tried some other scuba booties first and they all had the same problem. A size that was wide enough was too long.

tbone has been talking up the NRS paddle boots for a while as THE Ticket for wearing over drysuit socks, so I made the drive and tried some. After 4 days and 7 dives, I am in LOVE with these boots. I wear size 10.5 in regular shoes. With the 150gram Seaskin sock under the suit's neoprene socks, an NRS size 12 fits me perfectly. I really like that the toe box is also foot shaped, instead of pointed, like most other footwear. It may look a little funny at first, but they are super comfortable. I totally agree with tbone that these are the perfect bootie to wear over a drysuit with socks. At least, they are for my feet.

I also have to add that I really like how a drysuit sock and booties fits really snug, no matter what socks I'm wearing under the suit, which absolutely minimizes the amount of air that can migrate into my feet, messing with my trim. I've had 2 drysuits with attached boots and unless I wore 2 pairs of thick socks, to really make the boots tight, they would definitely let more air into my foot area than the suits I have now with attached socks.

Also, I finally took @tbone1004's advice and bought some NRS Paddle Wetshoes to use over the suit's neoprene socks. $55

NRS Paddle Wetshoes - Men's | REI Co-op

I have been using some cheap ScubaPro booties in size 13 to fit over my other suit's neoprene socks. I never liked them because, in order to be wide enough, I had to buy ones that were too long.

I went by my shop and tried some other scuba booties first and they all had the same problem. A size that was wide enough was too long.

tbone has been talking up the NRS paddle boots for a while as THE Ticket for wearing over drysuit socks, so I made the drive and tried some. After 4 days and 7 dives, I am in LOVE with these boots. I wear size 10.5 in regular shoes. With the 150gram Seaskin sock under the suit's neoprene socks, an NRS size 12 fits me perfectly. I really like that the toe box is also foot shaped, instead of pointed, like most other footwear. It may look a little funny at first, but they are super comfortable. I totally agree with tbone that these are the perfect bootie to wear over a drysuit with socks. At least, they are for my feet.

I also have to add that I really like how a drysuit sock and booties fits really snug, no matter what socks I'm wearing under the suit, which absolutely minimizes the amount of air that can migrate into my feet, messing with my trim. I've had 2 drysuits with attached boots and unless I wore 2 pairs of thick socks, to really make the boots tight, they would definitely let more air into my foot area than the suits I have now with attached socks.

Stuart do these shoes have "hard" (stiff) soles or are they soft like a sock? These look like great boots for my fins, but I use spring straps and need a stiff sole so that my toes do not get mushed against the fin.

The specs claim a 3mm sole with a 5mm neoprene insole. I was walking around some in a gravel parking lot and then in and out of a shore dive over rocks. They were comfortable, to me, the whole time.

Also, I have narrow, flat feet. Seemingly, a prime candidate for fins to ride so far up my foot that my toes would push into the end of the toe box. However, I don't have that problem with any of my fins. I did, once, with a pair of fins that I finally realized were just a size too big for my feet. Now, all my fins are very snug to slide on. I have to work them up my foot a bit to get them on. They don't move around at all during a dive and my toes don't get mushed.

So, @guyharrisonphoto, maybe one thing to look at is whether you would be better off with one size smaller fins? (NRS boots or not)

Well I am a size 12 shoe so have to get a large/xlarge foot pocket. No problems with any "shoe" bootie. Only have the "mush" problem with booties that are basically "socks" even though they have rubber on the sole. the REI ones sound pretty good.

I caught up with @CAPTAIN SINBAD last night. Showed him the Seaskin. He has an Ursuit Softdura drysuit. He said the Seaskin looks and feels like it's made from the exact same material. I haven't seen his Ursuit in person yet, but since Seaskin doesn't really say anything about what their material really is, I thought might be useful into to someone. The Seaskin definitely feels reasonably heavy duty to me - without being over the top heavy or stiff.

Back
Top Bottom