Drysuits - telescopic torso (TLS) - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps we differ on the definition of the "telescoping torso." How are you going to wear the suit if it was cut just right without excess material for you to pull the suit's torso up and to be able to slide your hands and head into the suit?

What suit are you using now?

neoprene front entry suits have enough stretch to get away from a telescoping torso. Pinnacles Black Ice in particular doesn't need it, neither do most non-compressed suits

Perhaps we differ on the definition of the "telescoping torso." How are you going to wear the suit if it was cut just right without excess material for you to pull the suit's torso up and to be able to slide your hands and head into the suit?

What suit are you using now?

I think you've misunderstood what a "telescoping torso" is. You need a little bit of excess suit in the torso area, but it's not "telescoping torso" amounts. A "telescoping torso" is enough extra material in the torso to fold it down over itself and then get buckled/clipped up. To see what I mean, look at the Hollis FX100 vs something like the Santi E.Motion.

I'm currently diving a Pinnacle Black Ice and just bought an O'Three Ri2-100. My first suit was the Hollis FX100, also a front-zip without telescoping torso.

neoprene front entry suits have enough stretch to get away from a telescoping torso. Pinnacles Black Ice in particular doesn't need it, neither do most non-compressed suits

Even trilam suits don't NEED telescoping torsos on all front-entry suits. You just need a little slack in the torso area, enough to get your head under the zipper. My first suit was a bag suit without any telescoping.

Not the ones I am familiar with. The ones I have had that are back entry didn't have it and the ones that were front entry had it. (I am talking about neoprene drysuits).

I think you've misunderstood what a "telescoping torso" is. You need a little bit of excess suit in the torso area, but it's not "telescoping torso" amounts. A "telescoping torso" is enough extra material in the torso to fold it down over itself and then get buckled/clipped up. To see what I mean, look at the Hollis FX100 vs something like the Santi E.Motion.

In that respect you are right but they ALL need extra material to be able to pull it over your head where the back zip don't need it. Some would have more than the others and will require the the fold and the little strap.

In that respect you are right but they ALL need extra material to be able to pull it over your head where the back zip don't need it. Some would have more than the others and will require the the fold and the little strap.

Without the "telescoping" feature, they need like two inches. With the telescoping feature, they can have like a foot. It's a pretty major difference in fit, cut, and function.

I understand now what you were saying, though. Yeah, you'll never really get a front-entry suit that don't have SOME extra give. Back-entry suits are certainly more capable of being tightly fitted.

Without the "telescoping" feature, they need like two inches. With the telescoping feature, they can have like a foot. It's a pretty major difference in fit, cut, and function.

I understand now what you were saying, though. Yeah, you'll never really get a front-entry suit that don't have SOME extra give. Back-entry suits are certainly more capable of being tightly fitted.

Don't you think that with a snugger suit and bulkier underwear and perhaps a fuller tummy, a "telescoping" feature is much more versatile and comfortable?

:)

Back
Top Bottom