Doing rebreather class next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishdip

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to do rebreather class next year but have a few questions about it. First my local dive shop is able to get in and service PRISM 2 So thats what I am looking at using. First is it a good CCR? The next thing is I want to compleat all the tec ccr padi levels as my end goal is 500feet! Will this unit meet that level of need?

There’s a lot of good CCR’s out there, while it may or may not be a good unit for you, would be dependable on your preferences and needs.
I would advise looking for an instructor who is certified to teach on that unit. As opposed to the agency, no one care what agency is on your card. 500 feet is an ambitious goal.
Pretty sure the prism 2 is only rated at 328’

Serviceability is a good question to ask, but a CCR is Ana expensive investment, it’s worth looking at other shops/ instructors other than your LDS.

You don't need PADI, you need a good instructor. And a lot of time. This is not going to be a fast path.

I don't know of anyplace that offers certification beyond 100m. If you want 500', you learn what it takes to do 100m and teach yourself beyond that.

Prism is good, but not what I would be choosing for anything that deep. Probably a good starter unit. You can get years of good service out of one before you even think of upgrading to something to do your dream dive.

What's at 500' that you want to visit?

I had a Prism 2 before I sold it, as I just wasn't doing enough dives on it to stay safely current. I had no issues with the unit, but I wasn't happy with Hollis at the time. They had a habit of announcing things like stands and BOVs which took months to actually appear. (I'm assuming the stand eventually did.) I trained with Mark Derrick at Dive Gear Express and the card was actually from IANTD. I had a normoxic card when I started, so we did the whole class with a helium mix for diluent.

Not other divers🤣. But really its about being on a boat full of divers and knowing I have been deeper.

You don't need PADI, you need a good instructor. And a lot of time. This is not going to be a fast path.

I don't know of anyplace that offers certification beyond 100m. If you want 500', you learn what it takes to do 100m and teach yourself beyond that.

Prism is good, but not what I would be choosing for anything that deep. Probably a good starter unit. You can get years of good service out of one before you even think of upgrading to something to do your dream dive.

There’s a lot of good CCR’s out there, while it may or may not be a good unit for you, would be dependable on your preferences and needs.
I would advise looking for an instructor who is certified to teach on that unit. As opposed to the agency, no one care what agency is on your card. 500 feet is an ambitious goal.
Pretty sure the prism 2 is only rated at 328’

Serviceability is a good question to ask, but a CCR is Ana expensive investment, it’s worth looking at other shops/ instructors other than your LDS.
that is true but I want to stick local as best I can so having it serviced/issues are easy to deal with. Good point on max depth for the unit. As far as the person for the unit it wont be my local dive shop but one who Hollis recommended and sounded good on the phone it is in FL tho. The other tec CCR classes tho will be at a different place.

Not other divers🤣. But really its about being on a boat full of divers and knowing I have been deeper.
So you want to embark on this journey ending in a 500 feet dive simply because you want bragging rights.
Did I get that right?

We don't know what we don't know and I will assume you do not fully understand what a dive to 500 feet means, or how incredibly rare it is that people do those types of dives.

People chasing those depths simply for the sake of chasing the depth have a tendency to die.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom