Triton rebreather or Hollis Prism2. Getting into CCR diving with a recreational diver background.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as hours of setting up are concerned, you won't need that with a Triton. Filling the scrubber with new sorb + greasing all the o-rings + positive/negative pressure tests + cells calibrating takes 1h tops, without rushing.

Concerning mixing OC and CCR divers, it has been my usual diving context for more than 10 years, even before being rebreather certified, without any problem.

Most of the time I dive CC, I'm with people on OC. We discuss OOG scenarios how I would donate (I have a long hose on my bailout) that I would donate just the reg, as they are not trained to take my bailout from me.

Most of the time I dive CC, I'm with people on OC. We discuss OOG scenarios how I would donate (I have a long hose on my bailout) that I would donate just the reg, as they are not trained to take my bailout from me.

Concerning emergency scenarios, as my Triton is just an extension of my BM setup, I just have to give my long hose (clipped on my right shoulder) and if the rebreather goes amok, if I have my backup reg on my necklace. As I've already stated, learning to dive with my CCR was very easy because changes on my configuration were in fact minimal.

Concerning emergency scenarios, as my Triton is just an extension of my BM setup, I just have to give my long hose (clipped on my right shoulder) and if the rebreather goes amok, if I have my backup reg on my necklace. As I've already stated, learning to dive with my CCR was very easy because changes on my configuration were in fact minimal.
So how does diving with OC divers while you are on CCR work? I assume you can’t stay down there for 2 hours while OC divers finished the dive within 50 mins and on the boat eating and discussing about marriage.

So how does diving with OC divers while you are on CCR work? I assume you can’t stay down there for 2 hours while OC divers finished the dive within 50 mins and on the boat eating and discussing about marriage.
There's two ways of looking at this. Having an optimal ppO2 results in less deco, so you get back on the boat sooner. For no deco dives, you have much longer bottom time. For the latter (which is what I do as I'm not trained for the former) is I come back up with my dive buddies who are on OC.

I assume you can’t stay down there for 2 hours while OC divers finished the dive within 50 mins
Some ops run "double-dips" at the same site and allow decompression dives. You could time it so your deco is done when the rest start their dive 2 ascent.

Well, I dive mostly in France, where most of divers are trained for deco diving. Our training system doesn't consider deco diving as tek diving, unless you use a different gas for deco. (Please no trolling)

So, while diving with buddies on OC, I'm limited to their prerogative, which means : I'm limited by their maximum diving time + deco. Most of the time, it implies for me I won't have any deco with my rig.

On the other hand, my buddies are limited by my max bottom depth. Let me explain. When you're diving a CCR on air diluent, you're limited around 40-45m. Below, gaz density doesn't allow you to breath properly as you've got more deep spaces (loop includes : canister + counter lungs + hoses) so breathing isn't as easy as on OC. Moreover going deeper increases PpO2 level, so if you've got a peak of O2 in your loop : air is not the right gaz to flush it down.

The solution to go deeper is to use a diluent gaz poorer in O2, meaning you add helium. I don't dive my Triton that way yet, because I'm not certified and helium is not easy to find everywhere, and you don't always find a dive center allowing you to dive it either.

And yes, going deeper than 40m on air while diving OC is quite usual around here. (Agai, please, no trolling).

I came across a couple of these the other day

025.JPG

having indulged in serious contemplation I may well buy one, even get trained

Depends where you're diving and with whom.

If the boat is out for two dives they tend to be happy for some to do a short 50 minute dive and others to do 1h30 or longer. After all, the boat's out so they don't mind if you do a long dive. All they need to know is when to expect to see your SMB on the surface.

I've done dives where the OC had doubles plus 3 AL80s of deco. They were in the water for a few minutes longer than the CCRs. We just hung around until he was done with deco. You can only get out of the water as fast as the line of divers climbing the ladder in front of you.

As others mention, if doing a double dip on a single spot some boats will let you just do a big single dive. A typical example (for me) is a boat of people doing recreational singles on an 80' wreck. Let them in first. Gives me a little more deck space and not rushed. Do my jump and watch some bubble blowers as I settle down. They leave, have the wreck to just the CCRs. They go up, do an hour surface interval, and start coming back down. That's when we go up. Enter an empty boat. Get out of gear. Munch the post dive snacks, getting the good ones just as the bubble blowers are starting to surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom