Triton rebreather or Hollis Prism2. Getting into CCR diving with a recreational diver background.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOB0.01J

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi divers

My local dive shop has two rebreather available which are prism 2 and triton from M3S. My primary reason to get into CCR is because I want to increase my bottom time at the recreational depth limit without have to keep coming to the surface and change tanks. I also like the bubble free diving and helps with my photography due to the lack of bubbles.

I am not trying to get into technical diving, but just purely want to enjoy the CCR’s benefit at a recreational level.

What are your thoughts??

I had no complaints with my Prism when I had it but wasn’t impressed with Hollis’ support.

Don't limit yourself to.just what your local shop carries.

I made a lot of phone calls to instructors of all the units asking.

How many units they had tried.
How many they teach.
Pro and con of each they taught and tried.
Which they preferred and why.
What they recommend for the type of diving I want to do.

Anything else you think will help you make the best decision for you. A well equipped unit will likely run you around 10k. Then tanks, training etc.

Ask around and pick the best instructor you can find, yes you might have to travel but with the money you are already investing, we'll in for a penny in for a pound

I want to increase my bottom time at the recreational depth limit
I am not trying to get into technical diving

Unless I've misunderstood you, these two statements are contradictory. At recreational depth limit of 130 ft / 40 m, NDL time will be the limiting factor, even on a single AL80 tank. If you want to stay longer than NDL, that means mandatory decompression -- which absolutely is technical diving.

See if you can find a Kiss Spirit. Perfect unit for your dive requirements. Light, easy to maintain, no factory service needed ever. Excellent.

See if you can find a Kiss Spirit. Perfect unit for your dive requirements. Light, easy to maintain, no factory service needed ever. Excellent.

It was one of my finalist.

If you are looking at Triton I would have a long hard look at the CM O2ptima as well. I may be biased as an IT on the unit but it can be used with your current configuration and will grow with you. It’s also extremely easy to travel with.

I teach two different units and hold certifications on more than that including the PRISM2. For what you are looking to do it’s for sure worth a look.

Picture because I just did a 2.5 hour dive in Hawaii today with the unit and a single tank and the dolphins showed up about 45-50 minutes into the dive. Due to being on CCR we were able to extend the dive and not miss out on this opportunity. The entire dive was 60-80 feet and was fantastic!

Attachments

• A3E14F68-961B-4BBD-BB3B-C088B9AA820C.jpeg
    A3E14F68-961B-4BBD-BB3B-C088B9AA820C.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69
Unless I've misunderstood you, these two statements are contradictory. At recreational depth limit of 130 ft / 40 m, NDL time will be the limiting factor, even on a single AL80 tank. If you want to stay longer than NDL, that means mandatory decompression -- which absolutely is technical diving.

I disagree. With PROPER safe gas planning a AL80 at 130 on nitrox will be gas limited. I just ran it even with a 100 there is not enough reserve left.

Sometime that’s not the case. It’s very rare for me that the NDL time will be the limiting factor. Most of the time is gas limiting. That’s the primary reason I want to get on CCR due to longer bottom time but within the recreational limit

For a kiss spirit, I believe I have to travel to NC or Florida… I am currently located in NH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom