Triton rebreather or Hollis Prism2. Getting into CCR diving with a recreational diver background.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300 hours!

A busy diving year would be 100 hours especially for NDL diving with an average dive time well under an hour. A typical hobby diver would likely be well under 100 hours, maybe 50 hours = 70 dives

Typical where? Not here. Lol

Typical where? Not here. Lol
300 hours as recreational/NDL diving will be more than 300 dives.

Two dives a day is 150 days. Longer than the northern season. There's two tides in a day, so two slack tides to dive, one high, one low.

Even a liveaboard only does 3 dives per day, four max, which would be 3-ish hours per day.

Do you live in the tropics? The OP is up in New Hampshire where the weather and dive season is very much like old Hampshire.

Only DiveMASTERS, DSD and OW instructors do "thousands" of dives and logging those dives as a dive is rather dubious as they're "professional" dives, not recreational.

Or put another way; most of us work for a living meaning that only weekends are available. The northern season's 5 months: 5 x 4 = 20 weekends with two days for two dives = 5 x 4 x 2 x 2 = 80 dives. Ignoring family life and the weather gods blowing out the boat.

Wow, has this thread been derailed. Keep in mind the scope of the OP, which is NOT the typical dive profiles most rebreather divers do. Specifically asked about NDL profiles. Not a 3 hour, 200' cave dive. There is about 3 pages of irrelevant quibbling that now needs to be ignored.

Wibble, you presented a counter argument. Great. Now I'd just give up, as while some of it is right, such as needing time to get used to it, much of it is still wrong.

For example:
- Prep does not take hours.
- Most every shop near me fills O2.
- Never is a risky word to use, particularly in all caps.
- I can do three NDL dives without changing O2 or scrubber. If you want to talk diving once a month, fine. But you didn't say that.

Sure OP is up north with a shorter dive season, but they do photography and fish don't like bubbles.

300 hours as recreational/NDL diving will be more than 300 dives.

Two dives a day is 150 days. Longer than the northern season. There's two tides in a day, so two slack tides to dive, one high, one low.

Even a liveaboard only does 3 dives per day, four max, which would be 3-ish hours per day.

Do you live in the tropics? The OP is up in New Hampshire where the weather and dive season is very much like old Hampshire.

Only DiveMASTERS, DSD and OW instructors do "thousands" of dives and logging those dives as a dive is rather dubious as they're "professional" dives, not recreational.

Or put another way; most of us work for a living meaning that only weekends are available. The northern season's 5 months: 5 x 4 = 20 weekends with two days for two dives = 5 x 4 x 2 x 2 = 80 dives. Ignoring family life and the weather gods blowing out the boat.

I live in the PNW (Seattle) and did 163 dives in 2022. About 100 of those dives were in the PNW area so local and car trips. About 60 dives were during trips to Fiji and the Philippines. The only OC dives I did were on the tropical trips. Lifetime I have about 1,700 dives, mostly since 2001 although I was certified in 1990. I really started diving passionately after I moved to Seattle in the mid-90's. We dive year-round here, and I frequently manage to get in 2-5 dives every week.

I have many working, recreational, non-pro friends that routinely do over 200 dives a year and without ever leaving the PNW (WA and BC).

It is definitely not the case that only Divemasters and Instructors do thousands of dives. That might be your experience, but don't presume to speak for the worldwide population of divers.

Rebreathers don't mix with open circuit divers. Sure, you can, but you're on your own as an OC diver hasn't a clue about your unit.
Not really true, either you dive with a CCR diver who just happens to be on OC that day, or you make sure your buddy knows what's what.

OP, probably one of the positives for the P2 is East Coast Divers is a service center for it, no need to ship.

I believe ECD also teaches the xccr but not 100 percent sure on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom