Doing rebreather class next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

500 feet. I understand the desire. You are embarking on a multi-year journey (hopefully - do not rush it). That depth requires a lot of things including someone that should be in the water with you. Not to mention sufficient bailout if the science project on your back fails. While I got into rebreather diving for longer access to the wrecks, I have done a few stupid deep dives. Been there done that, more interesting things to see at much shallower depths and still taking advantage of the CCR.

Support is a mix bag. You will find regardless of your LDS, you are in a different league and will have to do many things for yourself. And when you travel, you will need to be even more self-sufficient. I value rebreathers that keep the dive vacation going. Redundancy is about accepting something is not working, but the week is not cancelled (or I bring enough spare parts to field replace)- IMHO.

BTW - Welcome (soon) to the club.
100% this is a 10 year goal. With that said it will have multiple divers in the water staged. Also thank you for the feed back on this!

I don’t know if you’re trolling or just naive, but
After reading this, I don’t think you’re ready for technical diving, you need to have a different mindset for tech diving other than my dick is bigger than your dick.
Im going to do tec because I want to push my limits in that direction. I want to do 500 feet for the same reason ppl want to clime K2. Will I beat my chest or even tell any one I am a tec diver probably not often. And yes 100% the risk factor is big I am not saying its not and it could end with my death all things I have accepted.

Not trolling at all and would not even be thumping my chest. But dont get me wrong I am not expecting to hit 500 feet the next day. This is a 10 year goal that I have had for 20 years.
Because I am wanting to go deep?
No, because you have the wrong attitude about it.

I did some research, according to your posts, you’re a fairly new diver.
It’s great that you’ve got big goals, but you need to get some experience under your belt. Walk before you run.
Hopefully getting some experience, will open your views on adv/ tech diving.
You’re instructor won’t even cert you if you don’t meet the pre requisites, so to go any buy a unit you can’t even use is foolish.

Your own post, “taking it slow helps a big time”, that applies in all of diving.

I am still really new to diving 15 dives in so take this at its worth but I have some of the same issue and find I have to go slower coming up then if I was going down. I find just taking it a little slower helps big time.

So you want to embark on this journey ending in a 500 feet dive simply because you want bragging rights.
Did I get that right?

We don't know what we don't know and I will assume you do not fully understand what a dive to 500 feet means, or how incredibly rare it is that people do those types of dives.

People chasing those depths simply for the sake of chasing the depth have a tendency to die.
100% true. Big big risk in going after a dive that deep! And yes in my head I want to be able to say I did 500 feet! I want to do tec tho to push my limits!

Where are you in Montana? In ND at least the one dive shop doesn't even deal with nitrox let alone boosting o2/ helium.....

North MT. The local dive shop offers up to 40% and other mixes

Because I am wanting to go deep?
Well you did say the following:
Im going to do tec because I want to push my limits in that direction. I want to do 500 feet for the same reason ppl want to clime K2. Will I beat my chest or even tell any one I am a tec diver probably not often. And yes 100% the risk factor is big I am not saying its not and it could end with my death all things I have accepted.
100% true. Big big risk in going after a dive that deep! And yes in my head I want to be able to say I did 500 feet! I want to do tec tho to push my limits!
You don't know what you don't know.
And what attitude should I have?
If you have to ask.

Let me put it this way. My name is Kosta Koeman. If we are ever on a dive boat or a shore dive even not diving together, please identify yourself as "the guy on scuba board that wants to dive to 500 feet so I know I was deeper than anyone on the boat", so that I can get off the boat or pack up my stuff and go home.

I don't want to be anywhere near you.

Anyone reading this who has a similar mindset as you and is considering me as an instructor, I don't want to teach you.

You are talking about tremendously difficult and dangerous dives without the training and experience. In my area, there were the two Jeffs who regularly did these kind of dives. One Jeff moved to Idaho. The other Jeff stopped diving all together as he was not going to put in the years to develop a solid enough dive partner to do those kind of dives.

I'm planning a future expedition for a graveyard of ancient shipwrecks the oldest living sponge diver in Greece told me about that starts at 100 meters. He described wreck after wreck into the abyss (he was one of the guides for the 2015 Fourni expedition where 22 wrecks were "discovered" in 13 days). My role in that expedition will be as a safety diver. I might reach the shallowest of the wrecks, but that's it. I will assemble a team of highly experienced divers and we will dive together as a team and have dives working up to those depths. And this will be at least 5 years from now. It takes a lot of planning and experience to do these kind of dives, and honestly that is at a scale from which I'm not even familiar. I just know that it is non trivial

Well you did say the following:

You don't know what you don't know.

If you have to ask.

Let me put it this way. My name is Kosta Koeman. If we are ever on a dive boat or a shore dive even not diving together, please identify yourself as "the guy on scuba board that wants to dive to 500 feet so I know I was deeper than anyone on the boat", so that I can get off the boat or pack up my stuff and go home.

I don't want to be anywhere near you.

Anyone reading this who has a similar mindset as you and is considering me as an instructor, I don't want to teach you.

You are talking about tremendously difficult and dangerous dives without the training and experience. In my area, there were the two Jeffs who regularly did these kind of dives. One Jeff moved to Idaho. The other Jeff stopped diving all together as he was not going to put in the years to develop a solid enough dive partner to do those kind of dives.

I'm planning a future expedition for a graveyard of ancient shipwrecks the oldest living sponge diver in Greece told me about that starts at 100 meters. He described wreck after wreck into the abyss (he was one of the guides for the 2015 Fourni expedition where 22 wrecks were "discovered" in 13 days). My role in that expedition will be as a safety diver. I might reach the shallowest of the wrecks, but that's it. I will assemble a team of highly experienced divers and we will dive together as a team and have dives working up to those depths. And this will be at least 5 years from now. It takes a lot of planning and experience to do these kind of dives, and honestly that is at a scale from which I'm not even familiar. I just know that it is non trivial
And I would not want you as a instructor! Glad we cleared that up… Any ways that sounds like a fun and Interesting dive to bad you are trying to **** all over my post as you support them literally doing the same thing! It will be Interesting reading about tho!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom