Doing rebreather class next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also find it really cute how most of the forums are suppose to be judgment free/on topic such as this one yet you a mod offered nothing to the actual questions and topic at hand…

Where did you get the idea that these forums are supposed to be judgement free? Do you mean dive and let dive? There is no right way, just do whatever you want?

That's the green zone. This isn't it

No one owes you anything.

I have a friend who died on his rebreather at 90 feet. Shortly after doing a 450 foot dive. There is a reason I have waited years to get into one and the only reason I am is because in order to do dives I want to do I have no choice.

For the record these dives are no were near 500 feet.

As mentioned above the things you have said make us serious divers (I'm not CCR yet) wonder if you are trolling or just extremely foolish and looking for a Darwin award. If the latter I also wouldn't want to be anywhere near you.

Not other divers🤣. But really its about being on a boat full of divers and knowing I have been deeper.

You can brag as much as you want, I've been deeper.

Here’s the thing. There are two possibilities. You are either a troll or you aren’t.

If you are a troll, ha ha, very cute, whatever.

If not, just stop for a minute to think about what you have done here. You are hoping to get involved in a highly technical, challenging and potentially deadly activity. There are people here with a massive amount of experience in this field, and I’ll bet that most of them have lost a friend or two doing it - I certainly have. People who could be a terrific resources for you as you start your long journey.

You post something that is guaranteed to trigger virtually every serious rebreather diver, and then you mouth off when you get the predictable blowback.

It would be tiresome to type out all of the reasons why “I wanna brag to randos on a dive boat” is an awful reason to dive to 500 feet. But let me just say this.

I would bet that there isn’t one person who is capable of safely diving to 500 feet who would consider that an acceptable reason for diving to 500 feet.
Yet I never once said id brag…. But knowing I have been deeper then most rec divers have ever been is just as good of a reason as any other. You all are the ones who assumed I would use it as D…. Measuring. I have 0 to prove to anyone. And mouth off id hate to be the one to say it but the only ones mouthing off are the ones who fail at staying on topic…

Yet I never once said id brag…. But knowing I have been deeper then most rec divers have ever been is just as good of a reason as any other. You all are the ones who assumed I would use it as D…. Measuring. I have 0 to prove to anyone. And mouth off id hate to be the one to say it but the only ones mouthing off are the ones who fail at staying on topic…
I think you need to go pass a few tech classes first before considering a CCR, if only to sanity check the attitude. Do I have friends that have taken the Prism that deep? Yes. Should you get a prism just because they “service” it (most bigger repairs probably need to go to Hollis so local service is whatever, and do you really want someone servicing your unit that can’t actively reach and dive it?) No. Are there better units? Yes. Is 500’ for the sake of 500’ posturing? Absolutely. If you want a few knock you to reality stories, go find Don six accounts of his ventures that deep and what happened to him.

I have a friend who died on his rebreather at 90 feet. Shortly after doing a 450 foot dive. There is a reason I have waited years to get into one and the only reason I am is because in order to do dives I want to do I have no choice.

For the record these dives are no were near 500 feet.

As mentioned above the things you have said make us serious divers (I'm not CCR yet) wonder if you are trolling or just extremely foolish and looking for a Darwin award. If the latter I also wouldn't want to be anywhere near you.
Sorry for the loss. What dives are you looking to do that has you going so deep and what CCR are you looking at?

OK, maybe I was wrong about you. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - you really are new to this tribe and this culture, and maybe you didn't realize the impact your words might have on people who actually do this.

So let me help a bit since you want to stay "on topic". Your original question has several problems with it, and if you are asking in good faith, understanding that would be more important than just having someone tell you "yes, the Prism is a good CCR".

It is very difficult for someone without CCR training (or even much OC training) to understand the tradeoffs involved in the various units, so it's never as simple as a unit being good or bad. This is one of the reasons why I think it's reasonable to do your MOD1 training on a rental unit, since it's hard to shop before you get some time on the loop.

Secondly, I would bet that any diver doing 500 foot dives on CCR is certified on and owns a number units, or at the very least is unlikely to be still diving the first unit that they bought at the start of their journey. So the idea that you need to start training now on a CCR that will get you to 500 feet is inaccurate. There are so many years and costs between now and then (assuming that you get there), that the initial hardware is probably the least relevant consideration. Most people pick a rebreather based on things like availability of training, service and buddies with the same unit.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom