Doing rebreather class next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you need to go pass a few tech classes first before considering a CCR, if only to sanity check the attitude. Do I have friends that have taken the Prism that deep? Yes. Should you get a prism just because they “service” it (most bigger repairs probably need to go to Hollis so local service is whatever, and do you really want someone servicing your unit that can’t actively reach and dive it?) No. Are there better units? Yes. Is 500’ for the sake of 500’ posturing? Absolutely. If you want a few knock you to reality stories, go find Don six accounts of his ventures that deep and what happened to him.
try to look up the Don six accounts and only found a dive store and some other random things do you have a link? And links on posts or videos on them taking it that deep? Have you heard any bad stuff about them such as the customer service issue everyone is saying?

try to look up the Don six accounts and only found a dive store and some other random things do you have a link? And links on posts or videos on them taking it that deep? Have you heard any bad stuff about them such as the customer service issue everyone is saying?
Joao Paulo Pavani Franco out of São Paulo is the only one I know of that’s pushing that range on a Prism 2. He or James Draker at one of the few certified to teach it to 100M. I really think you should consider a different unit, or at least not pick a unit simply bc you can get it “serviced” (doubtful) locally. I’m with @doctormike on this though.

OK, maybe I was wrong about you. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - you really are new to this tribe and this culture, and maybe you didn't realize the impact your words might have on people who actually do this.

So let me help a bit since you want to stay "on topic". Your original question has several problems with it, and if you are asking in good faith, understanding that would be more important than just having someone tell you "yes, the Prism is a good CCR".

It is very difficult for someone without CCR training (or even much OC training) to understand the tradeoffs involved in the various units, so it's never as simple as a unit being good or bad. This is one of the reasons why I think it's reasonable to do your MOD1 training on a rental unit, since it's hard to shop before you get some time on the loop.

Secondly, I would bet that any diver doing 500 foot dives on CCR is certified on and owns a number units, or at the very least is unlikely to be still diving the first unit that they bought at the start of their journey. So the idea that you need to start training now on a CCR that will get you to 500 feet is inaccurate. There are so many years and costs between now and then (assuming that you get there), that the initial hardware is probably the least relevant consideration. Most people pick a rebreather based on things like availability of training, service and buddies with the same unit.

Hope this helps!
THANK YOU. This 100% helps! I have found 0 ppl in my area who use any sort of CCR so I was not even looking at that side of it. Its why the only thing I could focus on and come up with the reason for that brand is service. The reason in my thinking and why I even posted my end goal “500” is id like to find a unit I can stick with as I “feel” that doing so helps mitigate risk as I am using a unit I know the ends and outs of and how it handles. It was not to get the forum up in arms…

Joao Paulo Pavani Franco out of São Paulo is the only one I know of that’s pushing that range on a Prism 2. He or James Draker at one of the few certified to teach it to 100M. I really think you should consider a different unit, or at least not pick a unit simply bc you can get it “serviced” (doubtful) locally. I’m with @doctormike on this though.
I am open to other units its why I posted this!

To add another red flag, a shop that can service a rebreather that they can't teach on. If they can't teach the most basic class on the rebreather, why on earth would you let them work on it?

As for taking good classes, people travel. Sometimes thousands of miles. Sometimes in other countries. This isn't you local dive shop cert card mill here. Instructors that are worth using are well known, usually around the world. I had a local shop that once offered to teach me on the Prism, as soon as the instructor had enough hours on it to be an instructor. Run, run far, run fast. There is a lot that a good instructor will teach that isn't in any text book or online in a youtube video. Those instructors have experience that you are paying to gain access to. For that you need an instructor that actually has experience.

It is easy enough to do dives deeper than most people have been. Take an advanced Nitrox and deco procedures class. Make a simple dive to 150'. You have a cert card that says you go deeper than the standard recreational diver. That will save you tens of thousands of dollars. You can use that at your local dive bar as well.

To add another red flag, a shop that can service a rebreather that they can't teach on. If they can't teach the most basic class on the rebreather, why on earth would you let them work on it?

As for taking good classes, people travel. Sometimes thousands of miles. Sometimes in other countries. This isn't you local dive shop cert card mill here. Instructors that are worth using are well known, usually around the world. I had a local shop that once offered to teach me on the Prism, as soon as the instructor had enough hours on it to be an instructor. Run, run far, run fast. There is a lot that a good instructor will teach that isn't in any text book or online in a youtube video. Those instructors have experience that you are paying to gain access to. For that you need an instructor that actually has experience.

It is easy enough to do dives deeper than most people have been. Take an advanced Nitrox and deco procedures class. Make a simple dive to 150'. You have a cert card that says you go deeper than the standard recreational diver. That will save you tens of thousands of dollars. You can use that at your local dive bar as well.
I have been trying to head hunt a Instructor for the tec 40/45/50 class as id like to compleat them before I go to do the CCR class.

THANK YOU. This 100% helps! I have found 0 ppl in my area who use any sort of CCR so I was not even looking at that side of it. Its why the only thing I could focus on and come up with the reason for that brand is service. The reason in my thinking and why I even posted my end goal “500” is id like to find a unit I can stick with as I “feel” that doing so helps mitigate risk as I am using a unit I know the ends and outs of and how it handles. It was not to get the forum up in arms…

One more thing. Not to throw cold water on the plan [insert Montana joke here], becoming a CCR diver, especially one who wants to go to 500 feet, implies a MAJOR commitment to diving it, and diving it a lot.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to do this far from the ocean, but ANY rebreather diver, and certainly one contemplating very deep dives, can't just do this on their one or two weeks a year of dive vacation. I guess if you have a local lake or quarry with significant depth, and a buddy to dive with, you could rack up hours there. But it's pretty rare to go far in this activity without some sort of frequent access to open water.

So yes, people do travel thousands of miles for good training, but even with the best instructor, you won't become a competent CCR diver just in a class. Experience, comfort and buoyancy control require time, and lots of it. No short cuts.

If you are real. Don't do padi tec. It really is a joke compared to the others.

How long and how many dives do you have

One more thing. Not to throw cold water on the plan [insert Montana joke here], becoming a CCR diver, especially one who wants to go to 500 feet, implies a MAJOR commitment to diving it, and diving it a lot.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to do this far from the ocean, but ANY rebreather diver, and certainly one contemplating very deep dives, can't just do this on their one or two weeks a year of dive vacation. I guess if you have a local lake or quarry with significant depth, and a buddy to dive with, you could rack up hours there. But it's pretty rare to go far in this activity without some sort of frequent access to open water.

So yes, people do travel thousands of miles for good training, but even with the best instructor, you won't become a competent CCR diver just in a class. Experience, comfort and buoyancy control require time, and lots of it. No short cuts.
When I got my first OW ssi in 08 “60ish dives” then 10 years with out diving. Now OW cert with padi last year. Back then I did not have the time or money to be committed now I have the time and money to be committed but have very few ppl to dive with so I dive 90% of it solo “would like to find a good instructor for it tho. Every single dive I do is just spent what I call “skill diving” IE buoyancy, Different fin kicks and a long list of other things I dont really dive for typical “fun”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom