Do all agree ATOMIC is indisputable best!!!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Poseidons and i love them. I think their the best along with apeks, but i can only say that because i can have an expert service them a short drive away. :) I totally agree with the other posts in here that say "whatever feels good, and makes you feel safe".

I love my atomic, wouldn't trade it for anything, but I wouldn't call it the best.

Atomic, Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 and along those lines, your not going to notice a breathing difference in my opinion.

Bang for buck my opinion is Z1 is the top regulator, note, not the best regulator period, but bang for buck its REALLY hard to beat.

djanni:
Yeah, I'm asking for confirmation. If I didn't want an opinion I would not have posted. It's not a case of money, although I'm looking to buy the $1,700 T2. I've been diving 5 or 6 years. I used an Atomic during a 12 dive vacation last year. So natural with the breathing my bottom times were about 10 minutes longer regardless of situation. Still $560 (discounted) is a lot. I might try a different one if someone here had a compelling reason to do so.dj

I'm no expert but in my experience, if you liked the Atomic for it's easy breathing you can just buy the 2nd stage. I've tried my BI 2nd on my SP MK2, MK20, US Divers unbalanced piston, unbalanced diaphram...it felt pretty much the same until I go deeper. Then the balanced 1st stage breathes a bit softer.

FIXXERVI6:
Bang for buck my opinion is Z1 is the top regulator, note, not the best regulator period, but bang for buck its REALLY hard to beat.
I agree. I use an M1 as my first stage and primary second and use a z1 as a safe second. Even when I am on the Z1 it is hard for me to tell that I am not on my M1. I forget that is what I am on and sometimes do whole dives on my safe second with my primary clipped off.

As for Atomic's being the best? LOL. There are so many high performance regs on the market that breath just as well. Most usually cost in roughly the same ballpark as well.

Matt

Don't agree..good but not the best.

I have a B2 and I love it. I also have a Zeagle and a Mares. All breath well and have been relaible. When I buy gear, I try to keep the availbility of quick and easy maintenance in mind. I live in the next town over from Atomic It works for me

Both my wife and I selected the B2 for a few reasons:

1) 2-year service interval (saves some bucks over time, yes?)

2) Seat-saving technology (supports #1).

3) Automatic venturi adjustment (no pre-dive/dive lever with illegible or no markings to fiddle with or perhaps forget about).

4) LDS close to the house sells/services them.

5) Hose swivel and 1st stage swivel measurably increases comfort.

6) Nice reg - breathes really dry and easy.

7) Very comfortable.

Yea, ok, so maybe it's not the best. I dunno. Don't really care. We are pleased with them. We also like the SS1, but that's another debate that I'm tired of hearing about.

Our local service tech has never seen a B1/B2 in for service after 2 years that actually NEEDED service. The seats were pristine. So that's another vote for the durability.

PS: I like the Tusa Zoom fins MUCH better than the Atomic split fins. The foot pocket fit is a lot better and it takes less effort (for me) to move from point A to point B, so I wouldn't consider myself a total atomic convert.

My sour-faced two pennies worth:

1) "The undisputed best."

2) Not really looking for an opinion but rather confirmation.

3) Tossing off big numbers like it's no big deal.

4) Only using it for warm water rec diving.

Call me cynical, and don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds uncomfortably like you're more interested in showing off your reg and its undisputed superiority, than in using it. If so, you really should consider collecting Leica cameras instead. They are the undisputed best. And universally prestigious, even among lay people. And ridiculously overpriced to boot. :)

Seriously, you'd be better off if you were thinking in terms of the right regulator for you and your diving habits rather than the undisputed best. The right reg may not be the ultimo top-of-the-line...so why do you feel you need the ultimo top-of-the-line? For your diving it sounds like just slightly overkill to me.

I'll second what the others have said about local service being a key consideration--I'm not aware of any Atomic dealers here in central Ohio, fex, so even if I did have wads of disposable cash I wouldn't buy an Atomic. I'd personally lust for a mid-range Scubapro, a G250/MK16 or something. You'll probably never have to worry about service with Scubapro. I hear they're great breathers too.

I will say that from what I hear Atomics are definitely very good regs, but on par with other higher end models. Obviously not undisputed, judging from this thread. Better keep researching.

cheers

Billy S.

I remembered someone recently going around and comparing Atomic to Rolls Royce :D
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1042337&postcount=14
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1043925&postcount=26

C'mon guys, don't you think you're a little tough on him? It's his good right to buy a Rolls Royce even if he drives it no further than a mile down the road to the grocery to get his milk and bread. :wink: Doesn't matter that Rolls Royce is actually an overpriced and unreliable vehicle that will be more in the dealership for repair than on the road to the grocery.
Actually, I think that if Atomic is as reliable as a Rolls, than you should start running to the opposite direction from them. :eyebrow:

Djanni, how about spending all this money on more diving and maybe a couple of courses that will improve not only your BT but your safety as well much more than any reg would do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom