Do all agree ATOMIC is indisputable best!!!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most top end regulators work pretty much the same, so it is a matter of personal preference, but like ddown said, local service should probably enter into the equation.

djanni:
Speak up because I'm about to buy.

Rec dive only in warmer waters. I believe it to be the best breathing regulator made. The B2 unless someone knows of a Reg better than Atomic.

dj
Best is a relative term. The "best" from Atomic, Scubapro, Apeks, Mares etc. are indistinguishable in terms of performance - at least in real world usage.

The best reg I ever used for breathing at depth is a Poseidon. It almost pushes air down your throat. Hard to find service for though in some areas. And unless they're tuned by an expert, they tend to freeflow at times.

And I own an Atomic B1/Z1. And recommend them to my diving friends when asked. When I bought it my dealer told me that the difference between the B1 and the T1 was that the 1st stage on the B1 is made of brass/stainless and the T1 is titanium. The second stages are identical except for the logo.

djanni:
I'm looking to buy the $1,700 T2. I've been diving 5 or 6 years. I used an Atomic during a 12 dive vacation last year. So natural with the breathing my bottom times were about 10 minutes longer regardless of situation. Still $560 (discounted) is a lot. I might try a different one if someone here had a compelling reason to do so.
There isn't much reason to get the titanium 1st stage other than reducing your travel weight by a pound or so, but per the Atomics manuals you shouldn't swap back and forth between air and nitrox with the T2 titanium first stage. This limitation doesn't apply to the B2 or M series, even with the titanium 2nd stages.

I love my B1, but in reality the differences between the performance of the high end regs are pretty small. The "which reg is best debate", just like the "which is better Ford or Chevy trucks" debate aren't likely to go away anytime soon. :wink:

Charlie

I have Apeks, Mares, Scubapro, and Atomic, and I will have to say I like my Atomics best. I have the factory swivel on the B2, and it is simply the most comfortable for me.

Like everyone else said, all the "high end" regulators breath about the same.

I've got an apeks DS4 first and ATX200 second that i really like. I had forgotten that regulators breathe worse at depth until someone reminded of it recently (at 116 fsw the ATX200 breathes just like the surface). My old ATX40 second stage has given me all kinds of trouble with free flowing, but I think that's just because I got a lemon. I've got a TX50 as my backup now and its been trouble-free over 20 dives or so. I still haven't breathed off of it deep to see how it performs compared to the ATX200 primary, but so far its been great above 40 fsw in OOA drills...

Given the way my apeks breathes, the way that it compensates for depth, its suitability for cold water (0C/32F) diving, I think I'm sticking with these until they stop making them. Even better is that the DS4 and TX50s are usually priced like "last years model" even though they're great regs...

Atomic make good ski's tho..:wink:

???????no, I don't agree. Its been my experience that in high end regs, I really can't seem to tell any differance in performance. I DO however have a favorite reg because it works well for me. High spirits and good natured jabbing aside, when it comes down to it I dont think that many here (if ANY at all) would tell anyone that a reg is "the best reg made" There are several that hold that title, depending on who you ask. What works for you? THATS the best reg made.

no, i like my Apeks ATX 200

They're are many good high end regs on the market to choose from and you'll want to go with what you like best. Personally, I like the Atomic B2...a lot. My wife also dives the Atomic B2 and she loves it. If money is not too much of an issue, then Atomic is a great choice. They're made very very well and breath great. They're are little extras in the Atomics that you don't find on other regs, i.e. special mouthpiece that's very comfortable, swivel, seat saving technology, etc. I have also found Atomic's service to be great. I had one with a little IP creep, so I called Atomic and asked about it. They offered to do an annual service on it for free if I shipped it to them. Including shipping times back and forth, I had the reg serviced by Atomic and back in my hands in about 1 week.

Back
Top Bottom