Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cultures taken from supposedly "disinfected" rental regulators in the past, have issued samples of various strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

In terms of pollution studies, the presence of coliform bacteria and other enterics -- visible under conventional microscopy -- is a standard indicator for the concomitant presence of viruses. Just expect them to be there.

To give you some illustration, we found fewer infectious agents on well-maintained toilet seats, than in or on rental gear . . .

more likely to catch something out at dinner, at the airport, or on the plane than with a rental regulator

dive operators should be disinfecting the second stages already between customers
I understand your point of view, but as I said earlier, it's an extra measure of prevention. Even before this pandemic appeared, I already considered it important to have my own regulator, now I think it is even more important.

Cultures taken from supposedly "disinfected" rental regulators in the past, have issued samples of various strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

In terms of pollution studies, the presence of coliform bacteria and other enterics -- visible under conventional microscopy -- is a standard indicator for the concomitant presence of viruses. Just expect them to be there.

To give you some illustration, we found fewer infectious agents on well-maintained toilet seats, than in or on rental gear . . .
OMG

I use a Scubapro MK25/S600. Very pleased warm or cold water.

If you plan on diving regularly, it is preferable to have your own reg. Otherwise, just bring your own disinfectant. Like washing your own hands instead of relying on someone else to do it for you.

I’ve dived the MK25/S600 for the last 15 years. Needless to say I’ve been very happy with it. My advise is to buy it and enjoy it!

I like diaphragms, I've owned the G260 and MK17 numerous times. Based on my experience the G260, in my humble opinion, is one of the best second stages by SP, maybe the best ? Still evaluating the D420. Despite its sometimes large ip swing the MK17 is solid. I've zero experience with the C series. Shopping is fun, owning your own gear is more fun. Good luck.

That maybe true. However, SCUBA rental industry have been flourishing for many years and we do not have divers keeling over from using rental reg or from sharing regs. So it doesn’t appear to be clinically significant. Also probably doesn’t carry an increase risk of COVID-19. Here is a quote from a recent CDC statement that I posted in a different thread when someone asked about licking doorknobs nowadays “The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads.”
Back to the topic of a thread, my son dives MK11/c370 and loves it. He is 11 so it helps him having more compact lighter 2nd stage. I have MK17/G260 - love it. I found a great deal on MK25/S600 - love it even more... Try them at your LDS and see if you like one and then if the difference worth it to you. Swivel on MK25 has been helpful. So you can look for that, number of ports and whether or not you will be in a very cold water...

Back
Top Bottom