DIR backup reg necklace - Austin area question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I can't speak for the rest of the "DIR" crowd, but I get tired of the same old incorrect and unfounded anti-DIR rhetoric. Most of the time I don't say a thing, but when I do it's not because I am looking for an argument. Rather my only intent is to hopefully correct some of the seemingly never-ending and blatant misconceptions.
Really? I've read several articles from the DIR leadership. They talk a lot about their basic equipment philosophy and rarely give credit where credit is due...to Bill Main. That may be because in the early years Bill M. disagreed with GI3's very narrow view of diving practices and ended his relationship with the group. I get the feeling that GI3 isn't all that understanding about such things.:wink:

I am not trying to change your mind or the other few folks who here who have posted even worse anti-DIR noise. I don't give a rats ass what you or they think about DIR.
Then why bother posting? I'm not anti-DIR. I do get sick and tired of the arrogant DIR crowd that thinks it's their way or nothing. That attitude is flat out wrong and, unfortunately, fairly common (beginning with its founder). It is also why DIR catches as much flack as it does.

I do however, care about the other 200-some people who have read this thread and are listening and possibly believing the BS.
Most of the people who are reading this thread are sticking to the OP's initial question and aren't whining about one statement made in a single post. :wink:

If you don't agree with DIR fine, but please do everyone else the courtesy of keeping quite unless you can actually provide some real and informed dialog as to why you don't like or agree with DIR. Making the same false statements that have been made countless times only shows your ignorance of the subject and further propagates the dissension.
I'm feel confident that I did provide correct information. The reg necklace was not an original DIR concept. I simply made the point that Bill Hogarth Main came up with the Hogarthian equipment concepts...not GI3, JJ or any of the other "founders" of DIR. Otherwise, I suppose we'd call it Georgian or something similar. I am quite sure that had GI3 come up with the equpment ideas himself he would have most certainly taken the credit.:D

As far as the Microsoft comparison goes. That is simply my opinion and last I checked I still lived in the USA where I am allowed to express my opinions freely. Of course, I'm not DIR trained. Otherwise I'd keep my mouth shut and walk and talk in lock step with the other DIR brethren. :D

But besides all of this, I would still most likely want to dive with you and I am sure I could learn something from you. I would hope that you feel the same.
I don't know...I'd have to know more about you before I'd dive deeper than 60' with you. You might not have your gear set up appropriately not use what I would consider a correct fin kick, wear too much black, or something... :wink:

DIR IS NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT!
That's funny...'cause 90% of the threads in the DIR Forum are about equipment. :rofl3:

TexDiveGuy, I am with you. Zinc, you too! I am not hanging an unbreakable rope around my neck.

If someone should happen to disagreee with this philosophy, please feel free to challenge me. I am not hanging an unbreakable rope around my neck. If the reasons for this are not immediately obvious to you, then you have a real life-threatening issue that you need to address.

2 year rot, 4 year rot, 12 year rot has nothing to do with the issue.

I've GOT IT! DIR was founded by Scientologists! Now it all makes sense! That explains so much. Just like when you say something bad about the Church of Scientology, and a hitman can be seen on your front curb, so is DIR!

Oh, and on the shock chord, I used a zip tie at the mouthpiece to clamp both ends to the reg, so it could be removed in need. PLUS, if you use thin enough shock chord, it cuts easily with a dive knife (you know, that thing you're supposed to be carrying with you, double if you're DIR).

Yea. I know. XXXXXX asked something about "why would you want the necklace to break?" . . . . . . I am thinkning "if the necklace gets entangled and 'oh by the way' it's wrapped around my neck and strangling me". Yep. That is exactly when I want it to break. I don't care about your DIR philosophy. I want it to break if it is strangling me. Go figure. Maybe it's just me.

"PLUS, if you use thin enough shock chord, it cuts easily with a dive knife (you know, that thing you're supposed to be carrying with you, double if you're DIR)."

Just something about a knife blade in the area of my neck and reg hoses in a stressful situation that seems not the best thing. But that's just me a wimp.

Thank you ALL for the advise. I think I'll get latex and shock cord and experiment. In latex is it the 1/8" that's generally used for the necklaces?

Next time I mention DIR I'll make sure I have my fireproof UGs on. :D

Thank you ALL for the advise. I think I'll get latex and shock cord and experiment. In latex is it the 1/8" that's generally used for the necklaces?

I use whatever I can find at the hardware store. the latex is usually about 1/4" ID, sometimes a little bigger, sometimes a little smaller.

Terry

Being hardware store handicapped, what section would latex tubing be in? Not surgical obviously. :)

Being hardware store handicapped, what section would latex tubing be in? Not surgical obviously. :)

Usually with the clear plastic tubing in the "plumbing" section. Although if you have a real hardware store (not Home Depot or Lowes) you can ask and they'll actually know where it is.

Home Depot has it near the ice-maker (refrigerator) tubing, although if you ask for it, they'll probably say "Huh?".:D

Terry

Back
Top Bottom