DIR backup reg necklace - Austin area question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear Music.. "" Don't Hogarth that tube my friend......""

HeHe.. hu..hA Ha ... Somebody said Tube :rofl3:

(( sounds like Beavis & Butthead ))

Evening Beavis!

I have never met a group of people so easily goaded onto an argument than the DIR crew. LOL! You boys crack me up! :)

Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I can't speak for the rest of the "DIR" crowd, but I get tired of the same old incorrect and unfounded anti-DIR rhetoric. Most of the time I don't say a thing, but when I do it's not because I am looking for an argument. Rather my only intent is to hopefully correct some of the seemingly never-ending and blatant misconceptions.

I am not trying to change your mind or the other few folks who here who have posted even worse anti-DIR noise. I don't give a rats ass what you or they think about DIR.

I do however, care about the other 200-some people who have read this thread and are listening and possibly believing the BS.

If you don't agree with DIR fine, but please do everyone else the courtesy of keeping quite unless you can actually provide some real and informed dialog as to why you don't like or agree with DIR. Making the same false statements that have been made countless times only shows your ignorance of the subject and further propagates the dissension.

But besides all of this, I would still most likely want to dive with you and I am sure I could learn something from you. I would hope that you feel the same.

For the rest of you reading this thread, please understand that almost all of what you read regarding DIR outside the DIR forum is incorrect and about 1/2 of what you read inside the DIR forum is incorrect. For those of you that are truly curious about what DIR is really about, a little searching will yield mail boards that are much more informative about the subject than this one. The best way of all however, would be to actually meet up with some real people who have been trained by GUE or another instructor that teaches true UTD and see what you think first hand.

And just in case anyone still cares, it doesn't matter what material you use to secure your backup. It is personal preference based how you value stretch, resiliency, and attachment options. As long as it holds your backup secure it can be whatever you like. My preference is 1/4 inch bungee that I get at the local outdoors/mountaineering shop.

Hunter

R/g shock cord - It's very difficult (almost impossible) to break and is thus well suited for many applications: holding corrugated & LP hose, bungee for compass, computer, slate, etc.). However, b/c I can't easily break it if needed, I'm not inclined to rope it around my neck :wink:

Geez some people do seem to get wound up quickly :D

The OP asked about a shorter necklace for the backup regulator why would you want it to break ?

The OP asked about a shorter necklace for the backup regulator why would you want it to break ?

A few thoughts--- just in case a paniced diver grabs your necklaced second stage as a reaction of being OOG, it will release without causing additional stress/confusion......just in case the rare but possible chance it gets entangled on something while diving, you can free yourself...........

Shock Chord up at West Marine works well, Burnet and 183 next to pluckers and the lingerie shop, and lane 6 (I believe) swim shop

Curious how much faster latex rots, than shock cord? Does FW/SW make a difference?

I replace my latex surgical tubing 'about' every 1-2 years whether it needs it of not.......I am a mainly freshwater diver, so my guess is that continual use in salt water would degrade it faster. Also rinse my gear after each dive outing so this helps allot. Use surgical tubing on some of my deco bottles to secure the regs hose.

Curious how much faster latex rots, than shock cord? Does FW/SW make a difference?

It lasts a couple of years (same stuff as drysuit seals, but it's thicker).

Shock cord is just loosely woven rope with a rubber core and I'm happier diving without rope around my neck.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom