DIR backup reg necklace - Austin area question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buy mine by the metre from eBay in the UK, I can't work out imperial diameters but there seems to be plenty on Ebay.com

I long for the day we americans do away with the stupid imperial system. Makes teaching and learning dive principles infinitely more simple.

I use a piece of surgical tubing and a zip tie on the alt. second stage for my necklace....works nice and is easy to install and purchasing the tubing/ties is also easy.

Same here. A couple of feet of surgical tubing and a couple of wire ties and it's all set.

I kind of like it better because you can easily rip the second stage out (or pull the whole thing apart) if you get it jammed up and need to get the reg out.

Terry

I kind of like it better because you can easily rip the second stage out (or pull the whole thing apart) if you get it jammed up and need to get the reg out.

Terry

Terry this is 100% my reasoning also!!.....not to mention that in a rare but possible emg. your alt. second stage can be used and the surgical tubing pulled tight actually holding the second stage in your mouth. Alan

Another prime example of "DIR MisInformation".

DIR IS NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT! Anyone who has taken a GUE class or is, at least, properly informed will agree that Bill Main is credited with the HOG set up and that DIR uses the HOG set up as the equipment configuration foundation to their system. GUE/DIR has never taken credit for the HOG setup. It's only those that are ill-informed who spout this nonsense.

GUE/DIR is about the team. And GUE/DIR did create a very thorough set of standard operating procedures that are team oriented. This does not say that they invented all of the procedures (although they likely created/invented many of them), but they did decide which ones to accept as standard based on criteria that they believe important.

If you truly believe that GUE doesn't come up with any GOOD ideas then you are either ignorant of what they have done or you do not agree. Judging from your stated experience and training in your profile I have a hard time accepting that you don't believe GUE has been of at least somewhat beneficial to cave diving, if not diving in general.

BTW, I will agree with you that the Texas sub-forum is not the place to ask DIR questions - at least if you want correct and competent answers.

Hunter

I guess nobody ever accused GUE of having a sense of humour :wink:

So if GUE has never taken credit for the Hogarthian system,why do you describe your equipment as DIR in your profile?? Would not Hogarthian be more accurate?

To answer the original question,I got my necklace from Home Depot. Buy a jar of tarpaulin tie downs.Just cut the orange ball thingy off the end first.

Last edited:
Surgical tubing works OK, but doesn't last as long as shock cord. I've since replaced everything using tubing with shock cord and am glad I did.

Do the DIR folks just constantly patrol the entire SB forum looking for any remarks that they consider disparaging? To the DIRers: Lighten up!

Dir? Is that the old directory command in Microsoft DOS ? :D

GUE/DIR is about the team. And GUE/DIR did create a very thorough set of standard operating procedures that are team oriented. This does not say that they invented all of the procedures (although they likely created/invented many of them), but they did decide which ones to accept as standard based on criteria that they believe important.
Hunter

So by that logic, I should be able to develop my own set of operating standards "based on criteria that I believe important".

DIR IS NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT! Anyone who has taken a GUE class or is, at least, properly informed will agree that Bill Main is credited with the HOG set up and that DIR uses the HOG set up as the equipment configuration foundation to their system. GUE/DIR has never taken credit for the HOG setup. It's only those that are ill-informed who spout this nonsense.
Hunter

OK. So DIR is not about the equipment. But still you use a standard equipment configuration as a "foundation". Sounds like that is about the equipment to me.

Do the DIR folks just constantly patrol the entire SB forum looking for any remarks that they consider disparaging? To the DIRers: Lighten up!

Dir? Is that the old directory command in Microsoft DOS ? :D

When a comment about any subject is so totally ridiculous, ignorant, and wrong, it deserves comment and rebuttal.

OP--- as you can read there are several methods of rigging a necklace,,,,you can even buy them of differing materials ready to use....good luck!!

................>>>

Attachments

• REMEMBER JONESTOWN small.jpg
    REMEMBER JONESTOWN small.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 36
I've used many of the options listed in this thread, but my personal preference is the following:
(Note: personal preference has no place in DIR team diving and will get you killed :rofl3:)

3/16 Latex surgical tubing w/ 1/8 interior diameter & 1/32 walls

- w/ the smaller latex surgical tubing you can skip the zip ties & simply tie the ends to each other, creating a loop around the mouthpiece

- small latex surgical tubing is very tough and elastic, and yet can still be broken if needed

- I also prefer the small latex surgical tubing (over shock cord) for holding my backup lights in place b/c the latex grips them much better

Here's another good place to order tubing if you know the exact type you want:
Surgical Tubing Latex Surgical Tubing reefscuba.com

R/g shock cord - It's very difficult (almost impossible) to break and is thus well suited for many applications: holding corrugated & LP hose, bungee for compass, computer, slate, etc.). However, b/c I can't easily break it if needed, I'm not inclined to rope it around my neck :wink:

But hey, I'm just another DIMWIT diver, so do what works best for YOU :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom