Lost Improperly Tightened 2nd-Stage Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This is embarrassing, my fault, and happened a little over a year ago. I'd rather not tell the story, but this was a year ago, and it would be improper for me to not share given I've learned from other's Accidents/Incidents.

My dive was around an island, at 20 to 45 feet deep. At about 30 feet and ~1200psi remaining, there was a sudden rush of bubbles coming from my regulator. My buddy wasn't nearby. I would have switched, but my primary worked, and my octo was dangling somewhere, and I didn't want to waste time, so I proceeded to calmly and brisky surface at a safe rate. On the surface, I orally inflated my BC first, slipped out of the BCD, shut off the tank, and then swam to shore. On initial examination, I noticed the bubbles coming from the 2nd stage near where it attaches to the LP hose. A nearby dive-boat waved me over, and I got distracted from my examination, and swam over. They then dropped me off at my friend's boat. By the time I was back at my friend's boat, I noticed the 2nd stage regulator was completely missing! The regulator must have fallen off, either as I was swimming to the dive-boat, or between the dive-boat and my friend's boat. I had spare regulator-set, and TLDR, my friends and I couldn't find the missing 2nd stage.

In hindsight, the cause of was: I recently replaced my air-hose, but had (probably) not properly tightened the 2nd stage to the low-pressure hose. I had hear/read/saw that you're not supposed to over-tighten the hose/regulator, but didn't know the right torque, and apparently was a little too cautious and misunderstood the amount of force.

Lessons:
  • Redundancy matters for safety, whether that's having a competent attentive dive-buddy nearby, or self-reliant redundancy (redundant air, etc).
  • I regularly review all my equipment, but definitely ensure hoses are tightened.
  • Practice! Being able to acquire either regulator quickly and "blind" is important. I now ensure regulators are in a consistent place (breakaway clip & necklace) & practice switching regs without looking.
What I did well:
  • Remain calm, don't panic, no matter what.
  • Surfaced at appropriate speed.
  • Dive within limits, where I could safely self-rescue.
Since this incident:
  • I now always dive with redundant-air supply (regs & bottle).
  • I regularly check regulators/hoses are properly tightened. Regulators are also also in a consistent place. Primary is on a breakaway necklace. Secondary is on a breakaway clip, on my right chest. Essentially the standard sidemount setup. I practice switching regs "blind" regularly.
  • I learned your tank won't "drain instantly" under this kind of scenario, from various videos. Even if this happened at 80ft, panic and rocketing to the surface would have been inappropriate.
  • Bonus
    • I learned side-mount for even more redundancy, plus some other benefits.
    • I carry a "XS SCUBA - Stainless Steel Star Tool" in my dive-pouch, that goes with me on dives. I've never needed it since, during a dive, but it's my favorite tool, doesn't rust, and is always with me.
    • I've added redundancy in other areas. Two cutting tools, DSMB as spare buoyancy. For night/deep dives, spare mask and spare flashlight. Just beware you don't turn into a "Christmas tree diver" if you follow in my footsteps.

Redundant Air-supply Recommendations:
  • A 19 cu tank is probably the perfect size. 6 cu bare minimum for emergency-ascent. Throw 3cu or 1.5cu "spare air" in the trash; they're hard to breathe and only last a couple breaths at depth. 30 to 40 cu will work, but all my dive buddies who own these sizes never use them. With 19cu, I only fill if below 2000psi, and am probably good for an incident at 130ft. (source: I own and have tested a 19cu tank, 6cu, and 3cu spare-air)
  • Consider redundant-air like insurance. It's not cheap, but a tiny investment compared to ending up injured or dead (more info below).
  • The redundant air-supply is not a dive-extender nor excuse to ignore your air-gauge.
  • Make sure you pre-dive check (breathe from) your redundant air, and again while on your dive. Practice reg-switching too, taking a few breaths mid-dive.
  • If you're on a budget, cheap or used regulators (ex: craigslist) behind on maintenance are fine so long as (a) it's purely for redundancy and (b) the regs breathe fine and don't leak.

In hindsight, the cause of was: I recently replaced my air-hose, but had (probably) not properly tightened the 2nd stage to the low-pressure hose. I had hear/read/saw that you're not supposed to over-tighten the hose/regulator, but didn't know the right torque, and apparently was a little too cautious and misunderstood the amount of force.

Hmmm. Just ensure your scuba is okay to dive. (During your pre-dive check, make sure stuff is tightened/secure.) Make sure you and your buddy use good buddy skills. No need to complicate your scuba unnecessarily, IMHO.

rx7diver

I noticed the 2nd stage regulator was completely missing! The regulator must have fallen off
I was doing a dive with short mandatory decopression stops. I had my bottom gas and I had my decompression gas. But when I grabbed my deco reg, it wasn't there! It had unscrewed from the hose and fallen to the abyss!

So, yeah, it does happen.

I agree with rx7diver. Checking that all hose connections are tight enough that they can't be loosened by hand (as well as the corrugated hose connection and dump valve on the BCD) are part of my pre-dive check. The other stuff you mentioned is all good--kudos for the lessons learned--but not really related to the particular issue you had. To the lessons you listed, I would also add: better buddy procedures.

It’s a good thing that mine detached on the picnic table prior to getting wet. Embarrassing, but a quick tightening fixed it right up.

No need to complicate your scuba unnecessarily, IMHO.

I agree with rx7diver.
I'm there with you. My redundancy setup is probably simpler than it sounds, and the result of an entire season of refining. "Christmas-tree divers" can be it's own source of headache and danger.

I may edit my post, so potential readers don't assume they must immediately run out and buy 2x of everything, and look like a Christmas-tree. I'll quote it below for transparency, in case I decide to edit.

But when I grabbed my deco reg, it wasn't there! It had unscrewed from the hose and fallen to the abyss! So, yeah, it does happen.
It’s a good thing that mine detached on the picnic table prior to getting wet. Embarrassing, but a quick tightening fixed it right up.

Thanks for sharing, I feel a little less embarrassed. I'd expect you'd notice the bubbles if the hose came detached underwater, was the tank closed?

Anyway, at the beginning of each dive-day or dive-trip, I give each hose a quick light-tighten just to be sure.

This is embarrassing, my fault, and happened a little over a year ago. I'd rather not tell the story, but this was a year ago, and it would be improper for me to not share given I've learned from other's Accidents/Incidents.

My dive was around an island, at 20 to 45 feet deep. At about 30 feet and ~1200psi remaining, there was a sudden rush of bubbles coming from my regulator. My buddy wasn't nearby. I would have switched, but my primary worked, and my octo was dangling somewhere, and I didn't want to waste time, so I proceeded to calmly and brisky surface at a safe rate. On the surface, I orally inflated my BC first, slipped out of the BCD, shut off the tank, and then swam to shore. On initial examination, I noticed the bubbles coming from the 2nd stage near where it attaches to the LP hose. A nearby dive-boat waved me over, and I got distracted from my examination, and swam over. They then dropped me off at my friend's boat. By the time I was back at my friend's boat, I noticed the 2nd stage regulator was completely missing! The regulator must have fallen off, either as I was swimming to the dive-boat, or between the dive-boat and my friend's boat. I had spare regulator-set, and TLDR, my friends and I couldn't find the missing 2nd stage.

Lessons:
  • Having a redundant air supply (tank+regs) is a tiny investment, compared to the cost of one's life. (see recommendations below)
  • Obviously, ensure everything is properly tightened. (not over or under tightened)
  • Know where my octo/secondary is, by feel and instinct, and practice switching. I suggest a breakaway clip, and clipping to right-chest, where your left hand naturally reaches (if right-handed). A necklace also works.
What I did well:
  • Remain calm, don't panic, no matter what.
  • Surfaced at appropriate speed.
  • Dive within limits, where I could safely self-rescue.
Since this incident:
  • I bought a pony-bottle soon after. Since then, I ALWAYS dive with completely redundant air (regs and bottle).
  • I regularly check regulators/hoses are properly secured.
  • Breakaway clips & regulator-necklaces, and knowing where both regs are at all times is awesome.
  • I learned side-mount for redundancy. I switch between side-mount and "monkey-mount" with 19cu, depending on the dive.
  • Learned your tank won't "drain instantly" under this kind of scenario, from various videos. Even if this happened at 80ft, panic and rocketing to the surface would have been inappropriate.
  • I carry a "XS SCUBA - Stainless Steel Star Tool" in my dive-pouch, that goes with me on dives. I've never needed it since, during a dive, but it's my favorite tool.
  • This incident has inspired me to pursue more redundancy, including redundant buoyancy (with a DSMB) and redundant cutting-devices. Depending on the dive, redundant dive-lights and a redundant mask are also on me.

Redundant Air-supply Recommendations:
  • The redundant air-supply is not a dive-extender nor excuse to ignore your air-gauge.
  • Get a 19 cu tank if possible. 13 cu is also fine, but 19 will give you a buffer-zone. 6 cu run out of air VERY FAST, expect emergency ascent, better than nothing, but good for travel. 3cu or 1.5cu "spare air"s are 💩, throw them away. 30 to 40 cu works, but my friends who own that size, never use them. With a 19cu, you won't need to fill your tank often either. So long as it's about 2000psi, I consider it good to go. (source: I own 19cu, 6cu, and 3cu)
  • When diving with redundant-air, breathe from if before your dive, and then switch to it about 2x every dive for a couple breaths for practice.
  • Cheap/used regulators are fine for your purely-redundant supply, so grab some off Craigslist if you're on a budget, and verify they work (breathe and don't leak) with a tank, before taking them home. You can have them serviced, but if you're on a budget, this regulator is purely redundant. Try to get a known brand, like Scubapro or Apeks.

I'd expect you'd notice the bubbles if the hose came detached underwater, was the tank closed?
Regulator pressurized but tank valve closed.

It is a good idea to keep decompression gasses (like 50% or 100% oxygen) CLOSED until you expressly open the correct cylinder, after multiple checks. Else there is a risk of breathing unsuitable gas - especially in sidemount diving where reg changes are frequent. Breathing high % oxygen at great depth would not be a good thing. Ok, ok, I have done that, in an emergency I would like to forget. Exposure was short enough and I did not encounter any problems, but it could have ended in a tragedy.
Anyway, at the beginning of each dive-day or dive-trip, I give each hose a quick light-tighten just to be sure.
That is a very good procedure, indeed.
Now, repeat it 1000 times without forgetting it once.
This is why we develop good procedures but also introduce redundancy!

I learned your tank won't "drain instantly" under this kind of scenario, from various videos. Even if this happened at 80ft, panic and rocketing to the surface would have been inappropriate.
True, but in the worst case yout full AL80 will drain in about 2 minutes, for example a broken LP hose or lost 2nd stage. Best to go directly to the surface and not dally or do a safety stop.

Let us assume that you do not follow your SPG.

Suddenly you will realize, that breathing becomes hard: you have to suck for air. Hence, you have run out of air. At this point, unless your dive buddy shares air with you, you will commence an emergency ascent. As the ambient pressure drops, the relative overpressure in the tank increases, and you can breathe, a little bit.

You need to maintain #1 a calm mind and #2 a relaxed body as you foes will be panic and CO2. You will have some oxygen though - you have been breathing it at an overpressure, remember.

It happens. You've learnt now to do a pre use gear check rather than relying on a basic pre dive checks

I did similar. I was on Sidemount and the hose detached from my reg when we were at 35m (115'). No drama other than the loud noise from the hose. My SM regs were deliberately hand tight but I didn't check they were fully snugged up

My mistake of course was to spit out the non functioning reg (now not attached). By the time I'd turned off my tank (having switched regs), my wife was dangling the reg she'd fetched from the sand some 5 - 6 m below us, in front of me, laughing at me. I simply put the reg on the hose, switched on the tank and carried on with the dive, and the subsequent dives that weekend (the 1st stage was then rebuilt the following week)

I should have known better, its something I preached to my students, but I didn't. No harm and I have a "it happened to me" story to give to my students as proof we're all fallible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom