No valve drills (indy doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the scenario: Deep open water dive, to the outside of a shipwreck. Great Lakes or East Coast, maybe Carolina.

Boat rules: Advanced card, deep, redundant air. Diver must maintain enough air in each cylinder to go from bottom to surface comfortably, at all times. No side mount on this boat.

You choose back mounted doubles. You suck at valve drills. Too inflexible. Too big. Too narc'd. Whatever reason you want. You can do them, but it seems stupid in an emergency situation. So you choose to remove your isolator and plug your modular valves.

Discuss. ...
Independent doubles (ID's) make a lot of sense (to me) for solo, deeper diving. If I lost the flexibility to reach over my shoulders to operate my tank valves, I would see if inverted ID's would work for me.

One consideration: You'll probably need to use very large capacity cylinders for these ID's if you want to spend significant time at these deeper depths, since you effectively will be diving sixths (so as to be able to return to the surface on only two-thirds of a single cylinder if necessary).

Didn't/doesn't Bernie Chowdury (sp?) dive independent doubles?

rx7diver

Bill "Hogarth" Main does.
:D Bill isn't exactly known for being "modern"

There really isn't anything to discuss that isn't present in the above threads. Backmounted independent doubles haven't changed other than falling further out of common use.
:deadhorse:

Assume a disability then.

Chest too thick, bicep too thick, damaged joints.
A thick chest or bicep will not prevent reaching the valves. There is plenty of clearance if you position your elbow out at the correct angle. If necessary, loosen the waist strap a bit and drop your head down so that the tanks slide forward making the valves easier to reach.

As for disabilities, everyone is different. One of my regular buddies had badly damaged shoulder joints with limited range of motion from a motorcycle crash. With practice and flexibility exercises he was eventually able to complete valve drills and manage failures well enough to meet tech diving course standards.

For those with more severe disabilities, regular scuba diving is not safe. Organizations like the Handicapped Scuba Association are doing great work in that domain and can provide personalized assistance with specially trained buddies.

For those with more severe disabilities, regular scuba diving is not safe.
You are basically saying that if I can't do valve drills due to injury that regular scuba diving is not safe?

I highly disagree. I have been diving with injuries that prevent valve drills for many years and why I won't even try GUE, too exclusive. This if very short sighted.

If you’re too fat or too immobile to do drills (other than a disability), you’re the equipment problem and you should fix yourself not the gear. But divers don’t like to look at themselves in that light.
This fix may take several years to resolve, until then a solution is needed. Again, very short sighted.

Diving is a hobby and done for enjoyment, telling someone that they need to change their physical shape, or that diving isn't safe for them is just wrong. Equipment changes are a means to overcome obstacles, if you can't understand this than you have drank too much kool-aid. Most of my dive buddies, both GUE and otherwise understand the limitations of size and disabilities. So, I don't blame this notion on GUE or any other agency. I blame it on the individuals who can't see past their own situation.

I have a neck injury from military that prevent my right arm from reaching back. I broke and dislocated my left arm at the shoulder which prevent range of motion, and I am fat. None of these make my diving unsafe. I have made a couple gear changes to make it more comfortable to don & doff my kit. Both cylinders are on my back and turned on before donning. I dive beyond 100' every year without issue. I would not consider doubles due to weight, either independent or manifolded. But, indy doubles would be my only option if weight was not an issue on my shoulders.

Then the diver should choose another hobby, or a less taxing/advanced dive.
Rather curt, don't you think ?

Do yourselves a favour, even if you can reach your valves

Check this dude out, he's a dude

Screenshot (1035).png

with his sword

Screenshot (1036).png

and his woody

Screenshot (1037).png

with one leg, he got injured last week, he's a dude

You are basically saying that if I can't do valve drills due to injury that regular scuba diving is not safe?

I highly disagree. I have been diving with injuries that prevent valve drills for many years and why I won't even try GUE, too exclusive. This if very short sighted.

This fix may take several years to resolve, until then a solution is needed. Again, very short sighted.

Diving is a hobby and done for enjoyment, telling someone that they need to change their physical shape, or that diving isn't safe for them is just wrong. Equipment changes are a means to overcome obstacles, if you can't understand this than you have drank too much kool-aid. Most of my dive buddies, both GUE and otherwise understand the limitations of size and disabilities. So, I don't blame this notion on GUE or any other agency. I blame it on the individuals who can't see past their own situation.

I have a neck injury from military that prevent my right arm from reaching back. I broke and dislocated my left arm at the shoulder which prevent range of motion, and I am fat. None of these make my diving unsafe. I have made a couple gear changes to make it more comfortable to don & doff my kit. Both cylinders are on my back and turned on before donning. I dive beyond 100' every year without issue. I would not consider doubles due to weight, either independent or manifolded. But, indy doubles would be my only option if weight was not an issue on my shoulders.
Have you even considered sidemount?

I am and have always been very flexible. My fundies instructor kept moving my tanks down trying to get them to where it would be hard for me to reach. Eventually he realized the futility of this exercise. He then chastised me for not pointing my elbow the right way when doing valve drills; why does it matter if you can reach the ******* knobs? I won’t sugar coat it, that over dedication to identical pointy elbows was one of the straws that broke this camels back.

For once I agree with the GUE fans above, just use a manifolded set; removing a manifold because you “can do valve drills but you think it’s stupid in an emergency” is the real stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom