Independent Doubles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I searched, and even googled it. Seems no one really is diving independent doubles. I was hoping to find a few pictures, or maybe some information on other peoples set-ups. But no luck, so I thought I would post, maybe someone out there has some experience with independent doubles, or someone is currently diving them.

My set-up as of right now is Dive-Rite Transplate, with the remora twin tank set-up, and flying the Rec EXP wing. My current regulator inventory is the Sherwood Blizzard as the primary, and the secondary reg is one of Tusa's higher end regs. I installed the extended hose on the primary, as was recommend by a few people. I have my Sherwood Wisdom II and a dive-rite pressure gauge installed on the primary regulator, and a dive-rite pressure gauge installed on the secondary. Now for the purpose of easily switching to single tank use, I have left the octo hooked up to my primary regulator. Still not sure if this is a wise idea, or not. Any comments on that, would be nice. I know it creates more confusion, also allows for another failure point. But it just seems safer, when i dove with a pony bottle, i always had 3 regs, so I am not sure yet how to run this set-up.

The reason I went with this set-up is for travel reasons. I usually dive with single 133HP's, and when traveling, always stuck with AL80's, well they only work for little 60' dives. So in an effort to extend bottom times, and open up the variety of dives when I travel, I wanted to switch to a set-up that would allow me to dive singles, or doubles, yet was easy to travel with. I believe I may have accomplished this. I know, I have heard all the hatred people have towards independent doubles, I am completely aware of the extra burdens of task loading. But sidemount divers do it, why are so many other divers against independent doubles.

Well if anyone has any experience with independent doubles, please chime in. Looking for photos, or any tips or tricks on diving with them. Thanks all!

Here is a link to the latest discussion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/318285-twin-tanks-manifold-redundant.html In it you will find more links to other discussions regarding independant tanks. Most of the pros and cons have been discussed there.

Here is a pic of one of my rigs: Al80's, 4 cam bands, 2 SS weight belt keepers and a Hollis STA (with DIY keel weight). The orange webbing is just tying the tanks to the bench so they won't fall off while I'm working on them.

Picture2001-3.jpg

I set up my regs and hoses the same as a manifold doubles diver would except for an extra SPG. Longhose, SPG & wing off the right post; bungied back up, SPG and drysuit hose off the left post. I think the extra reg you are suggesting will just get in the way and can easily be switched out when diving singles. Just pack the appropriate wrench. I always carry open box wrenches for both LP and HP hoses as well as allen keys for the plugs in my saveadive kit.

Good luck, hope you have a thick skin.

Dale.

Dave "wedivebc" is a big fan of independent doubles.

Here:Waters Edge under article

Nice avatar, but it's mine....:)

Al

I have and will use independent doubles for deco diving . I own din manifolds and were using them and decided to stop. I was stupid to use them without instructor training or at least practiced in a pool . Indy's work fine for me and I trust them to make a safe deep dive. You will here a bunch of bull from new sport tec divers why not to use them . I breath 1/3 from one switch then 1/3 other and back. This is not accepted in a rigid technical dive and I understand the reason. I question how proficient are diver's with isolator manifolds . I do not exactly
know instructor training standards are with manifolds. Does one pratice skills only in the swimming pool or thirty feet of water ? Can one do all those skills at 150 feet solo . I have not been much help to the poster and claim to know little . Removing the reg. from your mouth to switch tanks or manually inflating your B.C. is good skills to practice. Only peice of advice, keep it clean no extra hoses , no octo .

I question how proficient are diver's with isolator manifolds

Yea me too... To be honest I was leaning strongly towards independent doubles when I was considering what kind to get but after doing a course where the instructor spent a lot of time going through the things that can go wrong with manifolds, how to deal with them, etc, I felt a lot more comfortable and ended up going with manifolded twins (but think that both setups have their place). I know a few people though, who've set manifolded twins up all themselves with no input with others and either cannot reach their valves, or have no idea what to do if something goes wrong and the ramifications of various failures. To those kinds of people, they have no redundancy and are basically diving with one big tank.

Personally, I'd go with a sidemount rig over independent (back mounted) doubles.

For travel, easy to use any tanks. Plus you can easily feather open/closed tanks that are sidemounted if you have a failure that requires you to conserve gas.

Though I'd much rather have an isolation manifold!

independent doubles, the worst of backmount and the worst of sidemount all in one!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom