DIR backup reg necklace - Austin area question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeppermintPaddi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got a big stretchy necklace when I got my regs (long/short hose setup). Now I'd like to be 'more correct' and use a shorter bungee necklace for the backup regulator. Only I'm having no luck finding the small dia bungee chord. I've tried my local Lowes, Tractor Supply and Walmart. All the small chord I've found is already cut and has connectors. Could someone please point me at a specific store? North side of town if possible? Thanks!

Do you have an REI sporting goods store in the area ?
They carry it, also any good camping/hiking outdoor shop should also carry it.
Jim Breslin

Try the sailboat shop.

Most of the Head Shops down on 6th street in Austin sell those
Smoke Stone Necklaces and they come with a Clip already

I think those are DIR Approved :wink:

DIR? Did I read that right? Down here it's DIMWIT diving we do. You might have seen some of our t-shirts around these parts. :wink:

Bill Hogarth Main is the man who came up with the concept of Hogarthian Diving. Those DIR fellows basically took the idea and started calling it their own. I think most DIR divers believe JJ or GI3 invented it, but no...not true. :no: From what I can tell DIR and GUE are a lot like Microsoft Corporation. They don't really come up with any good ideas on their own, they just copy other folks' good ideas and market them. :D The bungeed reg necklace is a perfect example.

PM sent on the bungee cord, BTW... :D Although I get mine in bulk from Dive Rite Express (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/).

DIR? Did I read that right? Down here it's DIMWIT diving we do. You might have seen some of our t-shirts around these parts. :wink:

Bill Hogarth Main is the man who came up with the concept of Hogarthian Diving. Those DIR fellows basically took the idea and started calling it their own. I think most DIR divers believe JJ or GI3 invented it, but no...not true. :no: From what I can tell DIR and GUE are a lot like Microsoft Corporation. They don't really come up with any good ideas on their own, they just copy other folks' good ideas and market them. :D The bungeed reg necklace is a perfect example.

PM sent on the bungee cord, BTW... :D Although I get mine in bulk from Dive Rite Express (Dive Rite Express).

Another prime example of "DIR MisInformation".

DIR IS NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT! Anyone who has taken a GUE class or is, at least, properly informed will agree that Bill Main is credited with the HOG set up and that DIR uses the HOG set up as the equipment configuration foundation to their system. GUE/DIR has never taken credit for the HOG setup. It's only those that are ill-informed who spout this nonsense.

GUE/DIR is about the team. And GUE/DIR did create a very thorough set of standard operating procedures that are team oriented. This does not say that they invented all of the procedures (although they likely created/invented many of them), but they did decide which ones to accept as standard based on criteria that they believe important.

If you truly believe that GUE doesn't come up with any GOOD ideas then you are either ignorant of what they have done or you do not agree. Judging from your stated experience and training in your profile I have a hard time accepting that you don't believe GUE has been of at least somewhat beneficial to cave diving, if not diving in general.

BTW, I will agree with you that the Texas sub-forum is not the place to ask DIR questions - at least if you want correct and competent answers.

Hunter

I use a piece of surgical tubing and a zip tie on the alt. second stage for my necklace....works nice and is easy to install and purchasing the tubing/ties is also easy.

DIMWIT-- Doing It My Way In TEXAS
DWW-- Doing What Works

DIR-- does not compute

:)

Back
Top Bottom