BP/W harness & weights configuration question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tina5269

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all!
I'm a pretty new diver with 27 dives so far. I bought my gear from my instructor, and I know it's far above my level, but I intend to grow with it.

This is long, to explain what I have now& what I want to get.

I got a UTD backplate/wing and UTD long hose reg set. I have made some changes to it. For the regs, I put the long hose on a 90 degree swivel, and i route the house down my right side and up again under my right arm & up my chest, securing it with a hose clip at my right waist. I did this because no matter how I tucked it in, it kept coming lose on me, and the around my head thing do was just not comfortable. It would float over my head or tuff on my mouth to much. So far, these changes work great.

I'm having problems with the bpw. My harness digs into my armpit area and just isn't comfy. I didn't like threading weights on my waistband. I tried a weight belt but it got caught in the crotch strap. I want the option to ditch.

Right now, I put four 8 lb size scubapro trim weight bags on my waist strap ...2 per side. I carry 10 to 14lb shot weight pouches in them, depending on the wetsuit or no suit I'm wearing.

I need to fix that harness issue. I'm a chesty woman, but i don't like the chest strap high up. I tried on a zeagle zena and I like that fit. I love the quick adjust, the way don/doff, and the fact that it didn't cover up and squash my breasts. I've got a smaller waist compared to hips and chest, so the corset-like fit works well. I also like the lumbar padding. HOWEVER, I don't like the all or none weight ditch. I want more d rings to attach my computer and my light to. I'd like my setup to be like the zena zeagle if possible, but with more connection points and with my weight in pouches I can unzip and dump a small amount per side, not all 14 lbs at once. I like that my current stuff is pretty much modular.

I've seen some harnesses with quick releases, and I also like the style that puts a joint in the harness via a circle ring or a connector piece around the chest area. I also saw some curved straps to hat resemble the backpacks you use for school or hiking.
1. I need the chest strap lower, just under my breasts. How can I lower the pivot rings and horizontal straps that low?
2. I want the option for quick release on the vertical straps.
3. I need some kind of padding, or a curved harness like a backpack for hiking.
4. I'd like my weights in 2 pouches, not they make deep waist mounted pockets?
5. Can I get these newer straps and put them on my steel backplate? It's a standard looking one from UTD.

Any help you guys have would be great! Thank you!

Christine

You might try a 5ft long hose. That’s what I dived with single tank and doubles. It allowed me to wrap it around my torso and there was no extra that needed to be tucked in. I’m 5’5” for reference.

If you are sticking with plate...

The OxyCheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness seems like it might be a possible match for your specs.
OxyCheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness
You'll have to check sizing to see if you could adjust it enough to locate the "sternum strap" below the breast level.

Another option may be an "H" harness where the shoulder straps run down to a t-plate on the waist belt instead of back to the plate.
The Dive Rite Transplate harness would be a good option to look at.
TransPlate Harness | Dive Rite
It is available in several sizes of shoulder-pad length that would allow you to match the below-the-breast requirement.

For weight pockets maybe something like the Zeagle Zip Touch.
Zip Touch Weight System

I’m going to ask the obvious question - if you like the Zena so much, why didn’t you buy one? You’re trying to make a BP/W into something totally different. I’m well endowed myself and a chest strap under the boobs isn’t going to work. And I’m going to say, it will look totally out of place. A single strap is not going to act like the corset like thing on the Zena. The chest strap is meant to tie the shoulder straps together and help provide stability up top.

Get yourself a H harness. I have one on my Hollis SMS75 sidemount rig. My tech instructor is a woman and she helped me set up my SMS75 like hers. The shoulder straps were moved more to the sides so they are not over my boobs, but on the sides. That way, there is less clutter on the chest.

No expert here but I think your chest straps are too tight. Mine are loose enough that once in the water I could slip my are underneath either side and slip out of it if I wanted to. I ditched the crotch strap after a day of use too. Try adjusting your chest straps first.

Opinion on your weight questions: A weight belt worn under the crotch strap is still fairly ditchable. You just need to unclip both the belt and the crotch strap. Practice until it's easy. This should be possible in any conceivable scenario where you need to drop weight (the most likely being distress at the surface). In my opinion it's safer BECAUSE it's a little harder to ditch. I have no data to back this up but I bet more distress has been caused by weights accidentally falling out than prevented by cowboy quick draw ditching. Diving without a crotch strap is also an option. Or putting quick-release pockets on the webbing or weight belt.

Another option is to carry some non-ditchable, and some ditchable weight. For example, a few pounds on the plate or webbing, and a few pounds in quick draw pockets.

I don't have a weight solution for you specifically as I don't use ditchable weights, but I know there's a bunch of manufacturers that have various systems which I'm sure will work with your system. In terms of fit it sounds like your shoulder straps are too tight. Loosen your shoulder straps and tighten the crotch strap a bit. Also I don't really see the point in using a chest strap for a BPW, I've never needed one, though I'm a guy without breasts so I'm not certain if that would really affect things

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom