Custom masks that fit perfectly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A custom mask will not likely eliminate some causes of leaking which are smile creases and beards and facial hair. Odd facial shapes (which might be very attractive, not trying to put being different down) and sizes might be usefully accommodated.

N

A custom mask will not likely eliminate some causes of leaking which are smile creases and beards and facial hair. Odd facial shapes (which might be very attractive, not trying to put being different down) and sizes might be usefully accommodated.

N
I think the odd-shaped faces can benefit from this technology. Probably the most to be honest. I mean sure, Sloth from the Goonies may be a lost cause. But for the most part, with it being custom molded, as long as the depth leaves room for it, it can taper in/out or up/down as needed. A beard is entirely a chosen handicap. I wish the OP would chime in with more details instead of leaving us all speculating. I hope he comes back soon. The suspense is killing me lol

Oh dear gods yes!

I have a slightly longer head shape than most people. It makes buying motorcycle helmets really hard and finding a truly good dive mask impossible. I have tried probably every brand and price range, and have to settle for just smearing on an absurd amount of silicon grease all around. I still experience a constant but slow leak the entire time, and generally have to clear my mask every 3-5 minutes no matter what depth I am at.

I have been searching for a good fit since 2005 or so. I have tried every tip and trick out there. Nothing. My personal mask fits far, far better than any rental one, of course, and I spent a lot of time picking it out. It really is the best fit on the market for me and it sucks.

Many people on here have chimed in about price concerns. I'll up the ante: charge me an absurd price if you have to, just bring this product to market! For those of us with nonstandard face shapes, this minor annoyance builds up, dive after dive, year after year. It cuts into my time underwater (rough guess, 5% of my time underwater is spent messing around with my cursed mask.)

If I figure the cost of dives since I bought my current mask, that time spent with an ill-fitting mask has robbed me of enough cash to buy a wireless nitrox computer, a wetsuit and a mid-grade BCD.

I don't WANT to spend hundreds of dollars on this, but honestly, I would. Especially if you could make a bunch of mask skirts at once for when they eventually wear out.

At this point, I'd pay nearly anything for a mask that didn't leak. I've been fighting with, and dealing with, the problem since I started, but it's become a real issue now that I'm diving a rebreather.

Still no price?

Hi everyone. I apologize for the very long delay on this project. I HAVE been working on developing custom SCUBA masks since the last time I spoke to anyone. I have significantly more time to devote towards this endeavor now. If anyone is interested, please send me a private message. Over the next 4 weeks my goal is to speak one-on-one with about 60 people who feel that a custom mask would solve one or more of their problems. We would then work together to test designs and prototypes. I

I am updating my progress blog on a weekly basis. It can be found at: reeftoridge.com

Interesting. If a custom fit means it fits better under my nose, thus allowing me to maintain my beard, I might be all for it.

If you need any beard tester models, I'll be happy to volunteer.

That's great! I am designing the mask so that it will seal for those that have facial hair. Because I'm using highly accurate 3D models of customers' faces, I can place sealing surfaces along contours that other masks can't. Additionally, I am experimenting with having multiple sealing surfaces as opposed to just one, at the skirt/face interface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom