Custom masks that fit perfectly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have interest in a completely custom fitted mask? Our process uses a 3D model of your face to form the skirt, nose and lip portions, and placement of the lense. This results in a perfect fit with absolutely minimum volume. You can choose custom lense options and colors too. Developed originally for Navy divers engaged in 6+ hour dives.

Approximate pricing please

Please, let the guy answer the question of price before you start kicking him. He has a neat idea and if he is capable of producing a quality product that solves the problem of a leaking mask why would you care if it costs more than what you are willing to pay? You already have found a mask that doesn't leak, some people haven't been that lucky.

I, too, would be interested depending on the cost.

Thanks for the continued interest. I am working with a few CAD/3D modeling professionals on defining the process for making custom skirts digitally. The original process was very labor intensive and would never be economical for sale, that's what I'm working to change and it looks promising.

Additionally, I am trying to keep up with private messages. Please send me a message if you have more questions, I have a few surveys that have been really helpful moving forward, thanks to those who have filled them out.

My Atomic or SP Frameless masks cost over $100 each. Fitted with corrected lenses, that makes them $300. Nothing, well, almost nothing, contributes to comfort as much as a good quality mask. That said, the hoopla over ill fitting masks and having to try on masks etc is exaggerated, most people can get a decent mask off the shelf and while I understand there are people with heavy creases or beards or unusually narrow or wide faces or pinnoccio noses, the vast majority of divers can use "generic" fit masks effectively regardless of SCUBA urban legend.

N

Majority, likely. But for those like me who can't find a comfortable mask, a custom fit mask is a no brainer! One and done! I'll put my box of masks out for the yard sale.

I'd buy one for sure.

Please, let the guy answer the question of price before you start kicking him. He has a neat idea and if he is capable of producing a quality product that solves the problem of a leaking mask why would you care if it costs more than what you are willing to pay? You already have found a mask that doesn't leak, some people haven't been that lucky.

I agree that there can be huge value for the right people with the right budgets.

When the tagline is "devloped for the USN" looking for a ballpark selling price is prudent if not essential.

Pete

Well, there is that.:D

The problem is I see people with an idea that sounds pretty good and within a few posts someone is speculating the price will be too high and the idea will surely be a failure when a price hasn't even been stated. I can imagine that there are quite a few people out there that have problems finding a mask that fits and doesn't leak. The value of that is not measurable by someone who already has a mask that fits and doesn't leak.
I agree that there can be huge value for the right people with the right budgets.

When the tagline is "devloped for the USN" looking for a ballpark selling price is prudent if not essential.

Pete

Well, there is that.:D

The problem is I see people with an idea that sounds pretty good and within a few posts someone is speculating the price will be too high and the idea will surely be a failure when a price hasn't even been stated. I can imagine that there are quite a few people out there that have problems finding a mask that fits and doesn't leak. The value of that is not measurable by someone who already has a mask that fits and doesn't leak.
Too high" is relative. I do realistically expect it to be on the higher end of the price spectrum. Too high for everybody". But the important part will be that it's not too high for *everybody*. If it works, it WILL sell. As they catch up on starting costs and begin buying more materials, the price will go down, and become more affordable. If this idea catches on I could see many MFRs following suit. If it's patented (and it really should be), the OP could make a killing off licensing, the larger brands could do a cheaper, larger scale production keeping the price lower. I could easily see this becoming a reality if it works. And I could really see it working. This could be a huge development in dive gear

Back
Top Bottom