Coz first-timer needs help, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My only experience with Coz is a day trip, so I need some help please from Coz veterans. We'll be in Akumal from 4/8-4/12 and have our usual condo and diving arranged there. We want to give Coz a try for 4 nts/3 days, 4/12-4/16. I'd prefer a condo and I think from what I'm gathering, south of town is better then slightly north? 1st choice was Cantamar, but they will only book wkly.

Does anyone know of condos that book nightly? All I'm finding is Coral Princess, and a Miramar unit. Any other suggestions? Any suggestions on good non-condo property that has suites (bedroom & seperate living room/sitting area)?

I also looked at Scuba Club thinking that we'd get alot more diving in. Totally willing to forgo space for more diving. I've read a few places though that it's 1hr + to the first dive site in the morning. Is that the case with most ops?

Is there a dive op that is especially good to go with for photo and video? We do both.

I have done several searches but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I'm not finding any recent condo related info. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

scubawife:
[...] Totally willing to forgo space for more diving. I've read a few places though that it's 1hr + to the first dive site in the morning. Is that the case with most ops?

It depends on whether you're on a small boat or a large one. On the small boats it's more like 30 minutes.

Cheers,

Check out Reef Residencias. You can book through Nancy Edwards at Cozumel Living. Excellent place but for a little construction noise.

scubawife:
My only experience with Coz is a day trip, so I need some help please from Coz veterans. We'll be in Akumal from 4/8-4/12 and have our usual condo and diving arranged there. We want to give Coz a try for 4 nts/3 days, 4/12-4/16. I'd prefer a condo and I think from what I'm gathering, south of town is better then slightly north? 1st choice was Cantamar, but they will only book wkly.

Does anyone know of condos that book nightly? All I'm finding is Coral Princess, and a Miramar unit. Any other suggestions? Any suggestions on good non-condo property that has suites (bedroom & seperate living room/sitting area)?

I also looked at Scuba Club thinking that we'd get alot more diving in. Totally willing to forgo space for more diving. I've read a few places though that it's 1hr + to the first dive site in the morning. Is that the case with most ops?

Is there a dive op that is especially good to go with for photo and video? We do both.

I have done several searches but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I'm not finding any recent condo related info. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

El Cantil Condos
www.elcantilcondos.com

Christi's advise on El Cantil is right on. they are new and south of town. I have heard reports that they are very nice and the pictures look inviting.

If you are taking video and still shots stay with a smaller boat/group. More personal service there are alot of dive ops on the island.

I would recommend BlueXT Sea. Christi runs a really good operation. She puts customer service at the top of her list http://bluextseadiving.com/

I am sure you will other recommendations as well, like I said there are a lot of small dive ops on the island that are good.

Small fast boats will but you on the reef faster. Yes it can be a 45 minute ride to some of the southern most reefs but it all depends on where you are staying closer to town the longer the ride.

Thanks everyone for the info. Unfortunately Christi was booked, but Liquid Blue is available. Worth the extra $'s? I don't mind paying if you get what you pay for. I'm going to check a couple others before I confirm anything. It would be nice if they had even a small discount for multi-day diving.

I checked out El Cantil. Very nice. I was hoping for something a little less expensive since we'll be diving most of the day. I'm going to do some online searches and see what the lowest rate I can find there is.

If you can think of any other places, condo or a large suite type hotel room, please post. Doesn't have to be luxury, just clean, spacious and convenient location.

scubawife:
If you can think of any other places, condo or a large suite type hotel room, please post. Doesn't have to be luxury, just clean, spacious and convenient location.

You might take a look at Caribe Blu. The rooms are not palacial, but they are clean and good-sized. It's about a mile south of the Plaza, which is far enough to be away from the cruise ship crowds but close enough for a cheap cab ride to dinner. Fridge in the room, but no kitchenette; personally I don't want to spend vacation time cooking. Small restaurant (breakfast/lunch) next door over the dive shop (Blue Angel, who are excellent). Small (21 rooms) and quiet, right on the water, not across the street from it.

http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/la-reina/

Here is a website to look at most of the dive ops and hotels.

I have heard very good things about Liquid Blue but have never used them.

http://www.scuba-diving-cozumel.com/

Gordon is right Caribe Blu is a nice small hotel everything a diver needs in accomodations.

Are you looking for something with a kitchen, on the beach, in town? There is a lot of variety. We usually stay at the Hotel Cozumel just a bit south of town but has a nice pool and beach club http://www.hotelcozumel.com.mx/ everyone has there favorite place to stay.

Back
Top Bottom