Coz first time question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be advised that this is a relative assessment; there is no shore diving from Cozumel that compares favorably with the diving there from boats by any standard of comparison. No one goes to Cozumel for the shore diving.
I think that's 99% true, with perhaps the rare exception being that you can do a great night shore dive from Tikila that can equal or exceed a boat night dive on Paradise reef (where the majority of boat night dives take place). I hear good things about night dives from SCC also.

And yes, everything is relative -- I'd take a daytime shore dive at Tikila over a shore dive at the Panama City Beach jetties any time, and probably most other FL panhandle shore dives. Tikila shore dives can't come close to compare to boat dives on Columbia, Palancar, and most other Cozumel reefs, but they can be a fun and cheaper addition to a trip.

@nodakdive I just noticed your moniker name and looked to see if you're really from NoDak! I lived in Grand Forks for three years. I'm guessing there's limited local diving up there. You'll enjoy Cozumel. :)

Yes, I'm from and live in North Dakota and also lived in Grand Forks for a time.

The diving isn't great, but I like it. Lake Sakajawea, the Garrison Dam and the Dam's tailrace are within day trip shooting distance. The lakes near me are mostly shallow and very low viz, but those dives are like treasure hunts on the moon. I live about 15-20 minutes from the deepest natural lake in ND, but have never dived it.

Cozumel is a gem and I love it. It's been awhile, but I've been diving there since 2004 and have stayed at CDM 10 or so times. Imo, that area is so convenient and nicely splits the difference between a big sprawling resort and a hotel. My first course at the breakfast buffet is always the cut up hot dog and fruit plate! LOL! My mouth is literally watering!

I think that's 99% true, with perhaps the rare exception being that you can do a great night shore dive from Tikila that can equal or exceed a boat night dive on Paradise reef (where the majority of boat night dives take place). I hear good things about night dives from SCC also.

And yes, everything is relative -- I'd take a daytime shore dive at Tikila over a shore dive at the Panama City Beach jetties any time, and probably most other FL panhandle shore dives. Tikila shore dives can't come close to compare to boat dives on Columbia, Palancar, and most other Cozumel reefs, but they can be a fun and cheaper addition to a trip.
I agree somewhat; I have done many really good night dives from Blue Angel as well and seen stuff that I wouldn't have seen at Paradise. But still, there is far more coral at Paradise.

If you're thinking of walking into town for a meal (presumably dinner) allow anywhere from 10-20 minutes. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you're going in the teeth of summer (July to October it's pretty darned hot) it will be hot and exhausting.
Yeah, some have mentioned that SCC is walking distance to central, but it's a mile to the ferry dock at the plaza, which is not my idea of walking distance. Taxis are plentiful and cheap if you're careful.

Back
Top Bottom