Trip Report Cozumel Trip Report 2/14/2024 - 2/21/2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa Flinn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We flew directly into Cozumel on United. This was the first time we have flown directly into Coz. It was so nice not dragging the bags for once. The cost was almost double but it was quick and easy and worth every penny. We walked over to Diego's and grabbed some tacos. We took a $15.00 taxi from Diego's to the Barracuda. The taxi situation is a source of contention for the entire trip. Big rip off at every opportunity! They now have these little red scooter taxis but they are only for the locals. We got picked up a couple times and the price is a fraction of the cost of the white taxis. Plus the scooter taxis are fun and we loved riding in them. On our second day, we tried to get a scooter taxi and no one would pick us up. We were told that they aren't supposed to pick up tourists in these. I guess they can get in trouble. It really makes me mad being overcharged. We made a point of walking whenever possible.

This trip we chose the Barracuda Hotel. I know its older and not the fanciest but we really wanted to experience the old classic diver hotel. I like being picked up right on the dock. Plus its pretty cheap. We paid $90 per night. I was pleasantly surprised. It was nicer than I expected. The room was fine, the air worked good, the shower had the hottest water in Mexico and the water pressure was great. The only down sides to this room was the noise level from the No Name Bar and the toilet. They worked on the toilet a couple times but we ended up manually flushing it with a bucket of water. The rest of the hotel was pretty nice. The pool is awesome. Super clean and refreshing. We jumped in every day after diving to rinse the salt off. They also have a rinse tank for your gear. We would get off the dive boat and spend an hour or 2 sitting by the pool. We don't drink but the virgin banana daiquiris were nice!

We chose to dive with Aldora this time because we read so many great reviews. We really appreciate valet dive service and don't mind paying for it. We had 6 potential dive days and ended up getting 4 days in because of the weather. The diving was interesting. Some dives the current was very strong and some dives the current was non existent. That strong current can be scary at times. It can be fun too. We had a combination of both. I was very pleasantly surprised at the condition of the reefs. If there is bleaching, I didn't see it. The reefs were very healthy in my opinion. The fish were there. Not as fishy as Belize in my opinion, but much more fishy than Roatan. I saw several nurse sharks, a couple turtles, a few spotted eagle rays and the usual fish. I like the small stuff too. The coral and sponges were nice, big and healthy. Aldora was a nice operation. Most days we were in the big boat which I really like. I also liked the surface interval at Playa Palancar. Its nice to be able to get off the boat. I enjoyed that! All of my dives were with good divers. No problem divers at all. A good mix of nice people. All in all, I liked Aldora. I will say they are not cheap. There is nothing extraordinary to justify the added expense. In my opinion, they are no different than any other dive op I have used. I would probably save the money and go with someone less expensive next time.

We tried some new restaurants this time. I highly recommend K'ooben Laab. Very good quality food. Their salads, bread, cheeses and deserts are amazing. We also enjoyed Casa Mission and Guidos as always. Overall, a very good dive trip. We will certainly be back!

All in all, I liked Aldora. I will say they are not cheap. There is nothing extraordinary to justify the added expense.
For the benefit of others researching a possible Cozumel dive trip, it's worth noting that Aldora is one of very few dive op.s on Cozumel who offer the big 120-cf steel tanks, which is a big benefit for some people.

In years passed when this was discussed, Living Underwater was another, and there was a 3rd op., but I don't recall their name.

While you can find 100-cf AL tanks elsewhere, Aldora is one of the few who offer the big steel tanks. Whether that's 'extraordinary' I leave to the judgment of the potential dive tourist.

and there was a 3rd op., but I don't recall their name.
Liquid Blue.

In my opinion, they are no different than any other dive op I have used. I would probably save the money and go with someone less expensive next time.
Cost is a factor for many. I haven't been with Aldora so can't compare, but knowing most all ops are going to the marine park, give valet service, and give 60+ minutes of dive time (even with 80 cf tanks), there are other great, cheaper options. But Aldora is high on a lot of divers list!!!

Cost is a factor for many. I haven't been with Aldora so can't compare, but knowing most all ops are going to the marine park, give valet service, and give 60+ minutes of dive time (even with 80 cf tanks), there are other great, cheaper options. But Aldora is high on a lot of divers list!!!
This is huge every year when I plan my trip. I love my current dive shop but every year I work out pricing for a few shops and I can't just seem to justify the extra expense. I found a great shop that also happens to be the cheapest price I could find. The "downside" is a bigger slower boat, but I just enjoy the travel time as much as the diving and it all works out.

thank you for taking the time to share your trip!

Thanks for your report! What sites did you get to dive?

And this is a key issue where who the customer is is as important as who the dive op. is. Many people can't stay down an hour on a typical multi-level Caribbean reef dive profile on an 80-cf AL tank. But then again, many people can. Even someone who can eke out an hour with meticulous conscious gas management might be relieved to strap on a steel 120-cf tank and 'breathe easy,' so to speak.

I should've also mentioned Aldora doesn't only have 120-cf tanks.

The 'what's the best value for me' analysis is individual. When I hit Cozumel some years back, I struggled between choosing Aldora (3 dives/day, bigger tanks so likely longer dives) vs. Tres Pelicanos (4 dives/day; 100-cf AL tanks not filled to 3300 so functionally around 90-cf available), and went with the latter because I figured at 4 dives/day instead of 3, I'd hit more different dive sites (albeit at the cost of the hassle of backrolling in and hauling out once more per day, and maybe getting back later?). And I was very happy with Tres Pelicanos. That said, I think Aldora would've rocked had I gone with them.

That's a good thing about Cozumel - there are enough fine dive op.s that divers can get pretty picky about the details.

For the benefit of others researching a possible Cozumel dive trip, it's worth noting that Aldora is one of very few dive op.s on Cozumel who offer the big 120-cf steel tanks, which is a big benefit for some people.

In years passed when this was discussed, Living Underwater was another, and there was a 3rd op., but I don't recall their name.

While you can find 100-cf AL tanks elsewhere, Aldora is one of the few who offer the big steel tanks. Whether that's 'extraordinary' I leave to the judgment of the potential dive tourist.
So true Drrich2! I know a lot of people appreciate these tanks. I don’t care one way or the other. I’m pretty good with my air consumption. Most of our dives were over 70 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom