Coz first time question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotcha - thanks guys

Any thoughts on renting a car for a day to go around the island? I see that scooters arent really recommended but I'd imagine driving around wont be too bad?
We used to do that, but at least for a group our size the cost is about the same as renting a van, and I really got tired of being the daddy/driver with a party in the back. Another thing - if you would like to have an occasional adult beverage during the trek, be aware that the policia on the island are always on the lookout for tourists who are drinking and driving. Also, if you get involved in a traffic accident, even if it isn't your fault, everything needs to be settled before they will let you leave.

I don't drive on Cozumel.

i would choose hotel coz before scuba club.
I used to stay there when it was cheaper. Spot checking a week in March, Hotels.com shows them at $140/night all inclusive including taxes and fees for a solo traveler, depending on how you shop, $1,180 for a week. Scuba Club for a week in March: 7 nights / 5 days diving: $1362.55 for a single with breakfasts and lunches.
Gotcha - thanks guys

Any thoughts on renting a car for a day to go around the island? I see that scooters arent really recommended but I'd imagine driving around wont be too bad?
Don't even think about it without full insurance nor with a single drink of alcohol. There are other warnings, like crooked cops, crooked gas fillers, etc.

@ggunn any tips on must-dos?

We have our first Coz trip coming up in a month. I'm trying to plan an itinerary for an "off" day from diving and any insights/suggestions from folks here would be appreciated.

Take the ferry to Playa and the bus to the ruins at Tulum

There's some really good shore diving about 1 mile to 1.5 miles south of town, I believe it's near Tikila Bar.

Go to the batik shop on Calle Dr. Aldofo Rosado Salas (one street before the plaza) and buy yourself on these bitchin' handmade tie-dye T-shirts

52135148_408448269911340_2575315132879994880_n.jpg

I used to stay there when it was cheaper. Spot checking a week in March, Hotels.com shows them at $140/night all inclusive including taxes and fees for a solo traveler, depending on how you shop, $1,180 for a week. Scuba Club for a week in March: 7 nights / 5 days diving: $1362.55 for a single with breakfasts and lunches.

So add $400-500 to Hotel Coz for 5 days diving and it's about $300 more. The question then is whether he would eat enough lunch/dinners and drink enough cheap alcohol to cover that.

So add $400-500 to Hotel Coz for 5 days diving and it's about $300 more. The question then is whether he would eat enough lunch/dinners and drink enough cheap alcohol to cover that.
Yeah, but the properties are rather dissimilar. You never know about food deals.

May give that one a look.
First trip-stick with SCC. They make things very easy and the shore diving especially at night is fantastic. Iā€™ve been there 5 times and have NEVER been disappointed. Itā€™s a great introduction to Cozumel.

There's some really good shore diving about 1 mile to 1.5 miles south of town, I believe it's near Tikila Bar.
Be advised that this is a relative assessment; there is no shore diving from Cozumel that compares favorably with the diving there from boats by any standard of comparison. No one goes to Cozumel for the shore diving.

Take a camp air mattress for the beds - they're not expensive and they will make a huge difference in your quality of sleep. Their beds are a mattress on top of a concrete slab. Otherwise, I really liked our stays at Scuba Club. If you're thinking of walking into town for a meal (presumably dinner) allow anywhere from 10-20 minutes. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you're going in the teeth of summer (July to October it's pretty darned hot) it will be hot and exhausting. Remember you can whatsapp and have restaurants deliver too! Skip the places the cruisers go, and try the more local eateries to get a better feel for Cozumel if you can. I understand it's your first trip so you may want to stay close - and after 3 dives you may be whipped.

Btw, I really enjoy the shore dives at ScubaClub. They have everything set up to make it easy to jump in and come out using a ladder, with rinse tanks and lockers nearby.

Have fun!

@nodakdive I just noticed your moniker name and looked to see if you're really from NoDak! I lived in Grand Forks for three years. I'm guessing there's limited local diving up there. You'll enjoy Cozumel. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom