Coz first time question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thinking of going to Coz and it will be the first time. I do know that there are dozens of dive ops and hotels/condos/AI with tremendous options available and everyone has their favourite. Was thinking of Scuba Club Cozumel for several reasons: no commuting to a dock, 2 meals provided, close to walk to town for evening meal, shore diving (would like to do 3 maybe 4 dives a day- even though it may not be a spectacular dive- I like snooping around on my own time. Cons: maybe the proverbial cattle boats- but I’ve never been on one so I can’t comment whether I’d like or dislike. Basically I want to book a flight and hotel and go, not mess around with comparing dive ops. Seems like it is a dated facility and food is mediocre at best according to Trip Advisor and photos but I’m not a foodie and don’t care too much about the resort for now- just want to get away, experience Coz. If a return trip comes up I may be more selective. Appreciate any input from people who have stayed there. Thanks.

Thinking of going to Coz and it will be the first time. I do know that there are dozens of dive ops and hotels/condos/AI with tremendous options available and everyone has their favourite. Was thinking of Scuba Club Cozumel for several reasons: no commuting to a dock, 2 meals provided, close to walk to town for evening meal, shore diving (would like to do 3 maybe 4 dives a day- even though it may not be a spectacular dive- I like snooping around on my own time. Cons: maybe the proverbial cattle boats- but I’ve never been on one so I can’t comment whether I’d like or dislike. Basically I want to book a flight and hotel and go, not mess around with comparing dive ops. Seems like it is a dated facility and food is mediocre at best according to Trip Advisor and photos but I’m not a foodie and don’t care too much about the resort for now- just want to get away, experience Coz. If a return trip comes up I may be more selective. Appreciate any input from people who have stayed there. Thanks.

Then go for it. I haven't been there but I'm sure you will have a great time. We can analyze the options endlessly trying to find the optimal solutions but at the end of the day... you're in Cozumel. Diving. You're gonna have a great time.

Go for it. I've never stayed there, but many do so it must be okay at least. I have been on many cattle boats and they're ok. You get to meet a lot of divers that way.

Suggestions for Cozumel newbies...

> DAN dive insurance is essential. Explanation available.
> Do not ever rent scooters.
> Do not leave anything unsecured anywhere ever.
> Get trip insurance with at least $100K medical unless you are totally sure that your home medical insurance will cover you well in Mexico. No one expects issues, but they happen. DAN offers a pretty good deal, but Generali has better rates. Repatriation is included in DAN membership, but also included in most plans.
> Hire private DMs for each newbie or couple the first day, and remind them to explain escaping down currents.
> Everyone buy and carry SMBs and Storm whistles even if using rental gear.

I guess you know to not drink the water and to negotiate cab fares before boarding. Use your debit card at BANK OWNED ATMs (not free standing cash machines that are dangerous) to get Pesos as most things are cheaper in the local currency, but decline the first rate if offered as it's poor.

Your dive op is going to be the most important decision you make, and if you get on a cattle boat all you're going to get is to listen to what everybody else saw and then you saw nothing because they scared it off before you get to it

My suggestion is that you pick the smallest boat with the smallest crew

I know I've said it a million times on here, but don't go all inclusive in Cozumel, the restaurants are way too good

Do a few shore dives, make sure you tow a divers down buoy, there's a lot more boat traffic than there used to be

Scuba Club is a great option. I've been to Coz a few dozen times, four times in the last 2 years. I've also stayed at all-inclusive resorts a few times, only because I used my points to stay for free. I've also used small boats and small family dive ops. Scuba Club is still my #1 choice.

Scuba Club is close to town, a 10 minute walk. There is a large grocery store just a couple of minute's walk down the street. You have breakfast and lunch at Scuba Club, fast and easy, and you can walk into town for dinner or eat at Scuba Club.

Cattle boats? Look at your other options.

You can get a small fast boat, zoom out the dive sites quickly with no where to stand, get sprayed with sea water, get your our kidneys pounded along the way. Spend your surface interval bobbing up and down with no toilet, no shade from the sun, and no cover from the rain.

Or you can ride the "cattle boats" with other dedicated divers, sleep on the sun roof, stretch out, eat some food, and stay out of the spray, sun, and rain.

There is unlimited shore diving at Scuba Club, included in the price. It's mostly rubble and sea grass, but at night the place comes alive, especially good for macro. If you're an advanced diver, there is a wall dive off Scuba Club, the top of the wall is at 100 feet. It's a long swim to get out there. You can also catch a cab south to the lighthouse and drift back to Scuba Club.

Cozumel is a great choice.

Scuba Club is also a great choice. I would never again go with a small dive boat and small dive op. Never again.

@Doc Harry I think you are slightly exaggerating the small boat downsides. We've been out in some nasty chop and no one in my group of 5 thought it was 'kidney-pounding'. Many small boats do have cover from the sun. My skin burns under fluorescent lights (almost!), and I have no issue with the Aldora covered small boats.

I don't think I have ever been out on a "small boat" that didn't have a canopy. I've been out with a dozen different ops. I see very few topless boats out. That said, there are pros and cons to each.

Check out Blue Angel also- not much further from town that Scuba Club, onsite restaurant and dive op, and easy "plug and play" option like you want. Decent shore dive as well.

Lots of reviews on here for both Scuba Club and Blue Angel, I think you can't go wrong with either!

I'm in the "go for it" camp. Our first trip to Cozumel was about 20 years ago and we stayed at Hotel Barracuda and dove with Dive Paradise. Each year we learned more about what we liked about an op and accommodations. Now we're fairly settled into who we dive with and where we stay.

I hear the shore dive at SCC is worth more than one dive and is a nice night dive, too. Can't imagine that you'll have a bad trip considering you're diving in Cozumel. If you want to experience other ops, book a single trip with 1-2 others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom