Buddy Dive 1st timer... any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigDaddyGlad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be heading to Buddy Dive for a week, May 4-11. While I've got 4 Bonaire dives in my log book from cruiseship stops, this will be my first week-long stay on the island. So, I'm looking for any tips which would make my stay as memorable as possible.

We have booked a 2bedroom apartment, with the 6-boat dive+unlimited shore package. It includes the vehicle. I'm thinking I should probably buy a DryFob? Or will they provide one? I've also only ever done guided dives, so I'm thinking I should get a compass for our shore dives so I don't find myself halfway to Venezuela.

Anything else you wish you knew on your first trip to Buddy Dive?

I'll be heading to Buddy Dive for a week, May 4-11. While I've got 4 Bonaire dives in my log book from cruiseship stops, this will be my first week-long stay on the island. So, I'm looking for any tips which would make my stay as memorable as possible.

We have booked a 2bedroom apartment, with the 6-boat dive+unlimited shore package. It includes the vehicle. I'm thinking I should probably buy a DryFob? Or will they provide one? I've also only ever done guided dives, so I'm thinking I should get a compass for our shore dives so I don't find myself halfway to Venezuela.

They will loan or sell you a plastic key container; the DryFob is better.

A compass is always good, but the shore dives are about as easy as they get for navigation; swim out, turn left or right (into the current), swim back, swim in. Turn back before your half-tank mark. A good practice while you gain confidence is a third of a tank out, a third back, use the remainder to look around in the shallows near the exit. This is pretty much the profile the dive guides will do on the boat dives; learn from them.

That the shore diving is easier than you think it will be.

The reef will be on the left or right on the way out and the opposite on the way back. Pick a land mark, big coral head or the like at 20 feet on the way out, at the end of the dive puttering around in the shallows look for it.

Get to the pier and get your required "checkout" dive out of the way as soon as you get there - otherwise you might lose some dive time on the first full day. Once you have your dive locker/key and weights, you're basically on your own from then on out. Reason I say this is that if you miss that first day, then you can't (last I checked) sign up for the next AM's boat dives. I've never done the boat dive package (just a la carte) but last time we were there another couple was getting upset that they might have trouble fitting all of their boat dives into the week because of something like this. (I could be wrong...).

Overall it's a smooth running operation. They know why you're there (to dive) and have planned for it. The dive shop crew is always very helpful. Allocate some tip $$ to them, they're worth it). Listen and ask questions. They were quick to help us out when we had a minor equipment problem once with some emergency zip-ties.

Get a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy - it's cheat-sheets for all of the shore dive sites.

Take advantage of the house reef and do some easy sunrise/sunset dives (aquatic shift change...).

Swap tanks out when you get back from the last dive of the day, if you're planning on doing early drive-and-dives. They're safe in the truck in Buddy's parking lot overnight.

Get your Nitrox cert and use it while you're there (if you don't have it already).

Not Buddy Dive specific, but suggest you carry as much dive gear (also meds, contact lenses, etc) in carry on luggage as possible (if applicable). United left our dive gear in Houston for four days-weight balancing. Half the passengers on our flight had missing luggage. Since United had no ground staff in Bonaire at the time, we were forced to deal with KLM ground personnel who couldn't tell us when the bags would arrive forcing us to drive to the airport every day to find out if they came in. Buddy Dive were great in loaning us gear, but it was a PITA nevertheless. This was some years ago so United may have gotten better, but it's United after all so maybe not.

I would say that you still should carry and use a compass. On the south end there are some shore dives near Alice on Wonderland, Angel City, etc that have a double reef system and once you've crossed over to the outer reef you could get disoriented and just going "uphill" could have you actually headed West even though it feels like you're headed East. Also if the vis is less then optimal then it may be difficult to "pick" the correct direction once it's time to leave the outer reef and head toward shore.

Another reason to use your compass is that on the south end particularly, the swim back in allows for a great opportunity to do an extended traveling "safety stop" in 10 - 15ft as you work your way back to the tailgate of your truck. Lots of cool critters in the shallows sometimes. Plus, many sites have a "preferred" exit point so it's always nice to get back to that exact spot.......and your buddies will love you for it!

What I do in Bon is usually just swim on my back straight out to the drop off and then take a lubber line compass shot direct to the truck and then rotate the double points on my compass bezel to North. Once I descend, I'll pick a unique feature like a coral head in 25ft of water and memorize it. Then head downhill to my desired max depth and head up current. After my "turnaround" I SLOWLY traverse the slope back up to 25 feet then keep going at that depth until I spot my memorized marker feature. Then I simply rotate to where the double points on my bezel are back to North and then I know that my lubber line is pointed exactly at the truck. Then I just take my time and am able to nav a straight line end my dive in the shallows right at the truck.

Sometimes my wife likes to do the initial swim out underwater..... so in that case before descending, I point my lubber line straight out and set the single point of my bezel to North and so I can do a simple reciprocal.

Another favorite of mine on Bon is to take a least one day to dive the East side with East Coast DIving... you won't regret it!!! And....... if and when you go through Rincon.....take a stop buy the Cadushy Distillery!!

Cheers....and have a blast in May!!

Buddy's is a great place for a less-experienced diver--good choice! Their pier is so easy to dive from. Night dives there are a snap.

As for tips on how to do Bonaire shore diving and everything else about Bonaire, in addition to the great replies you're receiving in this thread, check out the many threads in this forum (Bonaire) in which others asked for just such Bonaire newbie tips. There are all kinds of great nuggets of advice to be found.

Unless you specifically reserve an automatic, your rental truck will be manual.

When you leave Buddy Dive Resort, head north and on your right not far up the road will be Zung Kong, a grocery store. Not as big as Van den Tweel or Warehouse Bonaire, but a lot closer and convenient.

There is a set time interval after a full moon when Caribbean sea wasp jellyfish come in to the shore in the shallows, drawn by lights (such as BDR lights up their piers with for night diving). If you happen to be about to go in at night and see a small jellyfish about the size of a Ziplock sandwich bag, cube shaped with 4 tentacles (1 hanging down from each corner), stay out of the water...it felt like a cross between getting cut and getting burned. Quite unpleasant.

On night dives, tarpon will likely join you, and they can zoom right by in your personal space. Nothing to worry about, but if you're not expecting it, a 4-feet big silvery stream zipping past in arm's length can be a tad disconcerting.

Been several years since I stayed at BDR. I liked it! I found navigating the grounds a maze, and the parking lot got crowded. Morning breakfast buffet was a good start. Loved the house reef dive with easy pier ladder entry/exit.

The Donkey Sanctuary is not to be missed, if you like donkeys. Who doesn’t like donkeys? Bring treats.

Bring some dive boots with good hard soles for those rocky entries :)

Our first time at buddy dive we got an old truck that barely had a working clutch. We were told to “ask for the newer ones”

There was also a block of nicer rooms that were more recently renovated, but it’s been a few years so maybe they’d done them all by now. You could always ask for a renovated room. Views on 2nd floor may be better.

We loved the house reef. The boat dives were great too but we were just talking about how much fun it was to jump in right there whenever we wanted and see amazing stuff on the house reef.

Nathalie wrote up a review from our trip in 2020 which might give you some insights (or at least get you more excited about going)!

We would definitely bring a DRYFOB if we went again (and very much appreciate you bringing one and showing it around too if you would :)

Back
Top Bottom