Good Dive Op/Accommodations Close to Palancar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Cozcharlie, I would consider Residents Reef for VRBO (next to Sabor, Secrets and Dreams Resorts) and picking a good dive Op. All of the good dive Ops willl pick you up at the Sabor pier (There may be a small fee to use pier, like $2). It is a short ride (15 min in a 6 pac, barly enough time to suite up) to the southern reefs and the second dive could be just in front (5 min ride back). You can also book at Sabor, Secrets or Dreams resorts since they are all together.

It's been many years since I stayed at the Iberostar but would again if it met my other needs. I liked it my wife however prefers to be in town to shop or explore while I'm off diving. I stayed there twice & both were 2 week visits & dove with Dressel. I have no complaints with them however I was grouped in with the advanced divers on most days. Surface intervals in general are done at the pier allowing bathroom breaks or a chance at breakfast (or a second one). Should you choose afternoon dives they ate timed & usually are about 30 minutes of bottom time to keep the boat on schedule plus the DM's are ones that usually worked the morning dives giving them a 4 tank day. They operate big boats & when the hotel is busy you see big groups board the boats but they get dropped off spaced out into small groups each having it's own DM.

I wouldn’t be married to getting absolutely the closest resort to Palancar since you probably will not dive there every day.
Good point. If you restrict your diving to sites very close to where you are staying, no matter where it is, you'll be missing out on a lot of what Cozumel has to offer.

Ibersostar is a good choice. It is a beautiful resort with nice pools and many divers to have like minded discussions with.

I second the notion to dive with someone else. Have them pick you up at the resort and then you are minutes from the dive site. Some will ask you to wade out to the boat but it really is not a big deal. The water is 3-4 feet deep with sandy bottom after a bit of iron shore right at the waterline. Wear your dive boots and its trivial.

Also bring pesos for a couple trips into town for very good food. The food at the right places in town is so good its worth the taxi ride.

Dressel returns to the resort after each dive for the surface interval. Afternoon dives are generally shorter than the morning ones. Scheduled dive spots may mean duplicating dive locations depending on the number of dives you do. For example, one year I had about 20 dives in six days and ended up doing Paso de Cedral three times.

... big boats...
Some people I know who struggle with motion sickness have more of a problem on larger boats.

Good point. If you restrict your diving to sites very close to where you are staying, no matter where it is, you'll be missing out on a lot of what Cozumel has to offer.

Iberostar is right by Cedral and Santa Rosa wall. Anything north of that like Yucab requires planning. The best thing to do is simply go do the site and get a taxi back to the hotel after the short trip back to the dock.

Some dive ops will actually pay for your taxi home...

Yall are getting picky about the dive sites. The vast majority of the best sites are at or South of Iberostar. A bigger worry is which dive sites are closed during the months you want to go. That has the potential to eliminate more top dive sites than many people realize. I'd never go to Cozumel in Aug or September.

Yall are getting picky about the dive sites.
It depends on how long one is going to be on the island. For a short visit you wouldn't be going to all that many sites, anyway, but on a longer stay I would want to dive a lot of different spots.

It depends on how long one is going to be on the island. For a short visit you wouldn't be going to all that many sites, anyway, but on a longer stay I would want to dive a lot of different spots.

To be honest, you could put me on the same two spots every day for two weeks and I'd be fine. Many of the fish move around. My favorite dives of a trip are bastly mostly on conditions and what marine life I saw.

I'll second the rec to look at what sites will be closed on the visit, though.

To be honest, you could put me on the same two spots every day for two weeks and I'd be fine.
That would be a bit much but basically I agree. My last Coz trip we dove Cedral three (or was it four?) times and it was a different dive every time. But still, on a two week trip I would want to go to some different sites that are not all in a small area.

Back
Top Bottom