Good Dive Op/Accommodations Close to Palancar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which ops do their SIs on shore? I've never heard of that. Might be interesting. The closest I've seen is going to the 'pee pee pier' for a quick bio-break!

Deep Blue does their SI on shore. Depending on where the first dive was done or where the second dive may be, I've SI'd at Paradise Beach Club, the Conch Pier (pee pee pier?), Palancar and sometimes elsewhere, for instance, Cielo because the first dive was at Maracaibo and the second was to be at Colombia Shallows. Once we SI'd at what I think may have been mangroves. The captain got out and went into the trees and came back with 4 different coconuts of varying ripeness. He (Chono) opened all of them so we could sample and experience the difference in taste and texture based on the ripeness. Over the years, there have been other field trip SIs too. I suspect other shops do the same depending on the circumstances.

Which ops do their SIs on shore? I've never heard of that. Might be interesting. The closest I've seen is going to the 'pee pee pier' for a quick bio-break!
Looks like Jonhall's spreadsheet lists some info about Surface Interval Refreshments under column U, which may also include a location in some instances. This might not always apply though, as conditions and/or proximity to the 2nd dive location could be factors.

Aldora does the SI at Palancar. We grab a snack and a drink on the beach table and people watch. We get an hour on the beach and our total SI is about 1.5 hrs. The extra time is great to offgass those long dives with there 120cf tanks.

We see living underwater there often as well.
I've heard of Aldora and their 120sf tanks. Do you dive nitrox as well as the 120s? What sort of bottom time do you get - and what depths do they usually take you to?

I really like the idea of doing the SI on shore, but that means you have to have access without having to pay. Even the pee-pee pier charges a couple of bucks now.

Every op I've been on. I've been on Paradise pier with at least 8 boats tied up from various ops like DWM, TP, BXT, Aldora, Scuba Shack, and others. So many boats they double up, where your boat is tied to a boat tied to the pier and you have to walk through the other boat to get to the dock. It's where all the captains socialize. Sometimes in the same week of diving, the same captain/DM will tie to a pier one day, hang by a beach another day, and float at sea yet another. I'm not sure what their criteria is but I bet if anyone asked to go to a dock for the SI they will do it if one is convenient.

I really like the idea of doing the SI on shore, but that means you have to have access without having to pay. Even the pee-pee pier charges a couple of bucks now.

I'm not aware what or if the boat pays the owner but I've never personally paid a fee. There have been times we've ordered lunch and spent a couple hundred pesos but I think most people just use them for the restrooms and a chance to walk around a bit. If I owned a pier I'd invite boats to tie up for free and market snacks and beverages and other things to the divers. Even if boats provide soda and chips their supply is limited and won't often have the flavor/type the guest would prefer.

I'm not aware what or if the boat pays the owner but I've never personally paid a fee. There have been times we've ordered lunch and spent a couple hundred pesos but I think most people just use them for the restrooms and a chance to walk around a bit. If I owned a pier I'd invite boats to tie up for free and market snacks and beverages and other things to the divers. Even if boats provide soda and chips their supply is limited and won't often have the flavor/type the guest would prefer.
I've watched the money change hands. Maybe we're thinking of different docks?

Every op I've been on. I've been on Paradise pier with at least 8 boats tied up from various ops like DWM, TP, BXT, Aldora, Scuba Shack, and others. So many boats they double up, where your boat is tied to a boat tied to the pier and you have to walk through the other boat to get to the dock. It's where all the captains socialize. Sometimes in the same week of diving, the same captain/DM will tie to a pier one day, hang by a beach another day, and float at sea yet another. I'm not sure what their criteria is but I bet if anyone asked to go to a dock for the SI they will do it if one is convenient.
Wow! I've been diving with the rest who don't tie up for SIs!! I've been out with AquaSafari, ScubaClub, Dive Paradise, Alison, and of course Jungle Divers (on Charro boats). We have stopped at a pier on an SI to drop off or pick up something, or for someone to use the facilities (I don't know if there really were facilities or if it was a bit of jungle!). Funny how our experiences of Cozumel can be so different! Eye opening!! :)

I've heard of Aldora and their 120sf tanks. Do you dive nitrox as well as the 120s? What sort of bottom time do you get - and what depths do they usually take you to?

NEVER payed to SI at beach club. Palancar has no entry fee anyway.

We alway dive NITROX. We get between 70 and 100 min depending on group and dive profile.

Our day starts at 0730 and we get back 1330 to 1400, dropped off at Villa Aldora (North of Town) and we walk to our Condo a few buildings away.

Which ops do their SIs on shore?

I do most of my diving with ScubaTony and I would say 90% of the time we do the SI on shore. Seems the only time we don't is if the second dive site is far away from the first. Then we motor over there and just sit around on the boat for 20-30 minutes until it's time to get in. But I've spent many enjoyable SI's at Playa Palancar or the various empty piers. Nothing better than some hot french fries in between dives.

Last year we did one over by the mangroves and there was a saltwater croc swimming near the boat in the shallows! Most people stayed on the boat for that one even though we were right at the shore. 😆

I've dived with Dive with Martin and Scuba Mau a couple times, and those SI's were out on the water, but so long ago (15 and 9 years, respectively) that info is pretty much useless, they may have changed their practices since for all I know.

Back
Top Bottom