Cave Diving With Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
well, i meant "anyone's" voice

i thought i read somewhere that the communication gear makes people's
voices sound squeaky and high-pitched
depends how tight the crotch strap is:D

I'm not sure I will ever delve into cave diving....but if I do, I cant see myself squeezing into some hole so small it requires me to side mount my gear or whatever other methods are out there to get into it.

I mean, you would look awful silly breaking out the KY and rubbing it on the side of the cave.

ScubaSixString:
Absolutely. I can't remember where it was, but somebody a long time ago (relatively), back in the Exley era (it may have been him) developed one especially for cave survey. Allowed him to stay underwater for something like 24 hours.

I'll see if i can dig up the info on it (although its probably outdated by now)

I'm not a rebreather diver, but the only problem i see with it is if you had to bail out inside a cave. But i guess that's ALWAYS a consideration, OC or CC

They moddified a CIS-LUNAR rebreather to make it a fully redundant Heliox system for use in the Wakulla springs project
and it is still not an outdated system
I dont know of any rebreather to date that was as redundant as that system
you could probably reproduce the same thing with modern technology, the electronics would be more compact now-a-days

I just ordered my Megaladon today:monkeydan :monkeydan :monkeydan :monkeydan
I won't see it until june but I will be doing RB cave training next january. The instructor said a sport kiss is not suitable for overhead diving and that was just the incentive I needed.
Any idea what colour I should get?:D

awesome, wedivebc... i bet you can't wait

:wink:

wedivebc:
I just ordered my Megaladon today:monkeydan :monkeydan :monkeydan :monkeydan
I won't see it until june but I will be doing RB cave training next january. The instructor said a sport kiss is not suitable for overhead diving and that was just the incentive I needed.
Any idea what colour I should get?:D

Silver. Black is too pedestrian. The hard coat bronze looks kind of greenish? BTW - congrats!!!!

D1V3R:
They moddified a CIS-LUNAR rebreather to make it a fully redundant Heliox system for use in the Wakulla springs project
and it is still not an outdated system
I dont know of any rebreather to date that was as redundant as that system
you could probably reproduce the same thing with modern technology, the electronics would be more compact now-a-days

Olivier Isler had a triple redundant system. As mighty as the Cis was...I think without the OME support their time has come and gone. Really nice units...although somewhat prone to fiddly breaks - cables/shroud etc. Loved using it the few times I got to take it out. X

Back
Top Bottom